Barefoot on livery

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Re. muzzling I have used both a dinky muzzle and shires deluxe for 12 hour stints over the summer with no rubbing - and he is usually prone.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I did think he had some hind gut issues in the winter that I trialled equishure with. However this was when I first moved to this current yard and I seen no difference, he was kicking out when ridden, improved slightly but had also switched from haylage to hay. I'm now wondering if this was because he was never given it??! He never has this issue in the summer and I related it to him being in more causing it and something about winter management. It's not even something I could discuss with vet as I think he'd suspect I had two heads! You are very lucky to have a vet onside - the current go to response from mine at moment is stick shoes on.

I'm contemplating using a grazing muzzle overnight but worried about it rubbing and also that yard owner will remove it!

I've been told before beet pulp can be an issue, and it is worth bearing in mind. Rig now I feel I have so little say over what he is fed. About to head out to shops to look for Tupperware to put fed in.

This all sounds a bit pathetic doesn't it. You can tell this is the first time I've ever been full livery and I am finding it difficult.

I feel for you, I really do. It must be incredibly frustrating to not know whether the things you want fed are being fed.

My vet believes hind gut issues show up in summer due to grass sugars, she rarely sees it in winter unless feeding/management really is poor.

Testing poo PH can be done with litmus paper. The acceptable level is quite narrow but normal lutmus strips are accurate enough to show acidity. No vets or YO's need get involved.

I hope you can find a resolution.

kez1001

Visit site
I feel for you, I really do. It must be incredibly frustrating to not know whether the things you want fed are being fed.

My vet believes hind gut issues show up in summer due to grass sugars, she rarely sees it in winter unless feeding/management really is poor.

Testing poo PH can be done with litmus paper. The acceptable level is quite narrow but normal lutmus strips are accurate enough to show acidity. No vets or YO's need get involved.

I hope you can find a resolution.

That's really interesting about the hind gut being a summer issue. I've never heard that before. I can access litmus paper at work so will certainly try a poo test!

I'm working myself up to a chat with yard owner about feed. I want to have a say back in what he's fed, it's actually getting me down not having a say.

Not sure what to do about the grass issues though. Wish we could find a better set up close to home x