Barefoot query - hooves wearing faster than they grow

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
You should look at the rockley farm blog. Lots of less than perfect "looking" feet going hunting perfectly well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes but I think people do need to be careful determining what is uneven wear, not related to the structures above it - and actually altering the natural stance and what is supportive for true pigeon toes/upper limb problems etc.

serenityjane

Visit site
Yes but I think people do need to be careful determining what is uneven wear, not related to the structures above it - and actually altering the natural stance and what is supportive for true pigeon toes/upper limb problems etc.
Equally, my girl looked pigeon toed, because she was shuffling instead of moving- the minute she was shod her knees bent and she moved her shoulder more.

serenityjane

Visit site
Yes, indeed they do, but barefoot my mare did not bend her knees or move her shoulders anywhere near as much as she did shod. A horse that shuffles along will drag their feet along, wearing the outer hoof wall more than the inner-appearing pigeoned toed. If they move properly they will pick up and place their feet- showing consistant wear to the hoof wall.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

Goes without saying ;) I pointed them out as examples of functioning feet that arent perfect. It helps when making your own assessments to see what functioning sound feet look like.

I'm pretty sure every owner knows what their horses feet are supposed to look like, but not everyone has the knowledge and experience to make allowances for stuff going on further up. I certainly don't have that kind of knowledge but it helps me to see and read others experiences in order to shed light on a problem from many different angles.

putasocinit

Visit site
Agree with tallyho, the feet will also get to a shortness where they wont wear down because there is no breakover because they are short, if that makes sense. Unless he becomes sore then carry on.

No horse will wear their feet evenly. Humans dont even wear their heels down on their shoes evenly.

Last edited: