Barefoot transitioning x race horse - thoroughbred

Janey5

Visit site
I am transitioning my 12year old x racehorse to barefoot and foolishly thought this would be an easy process but several months in and I feel we have a way to go before he is comfortable. The aim is to give him an easy life with light hacking 2 – 3 times per week over open countryside with a little road work. He is a gently sole and very much a confidence giver even though I am nervous about riding him.

His shoes were removed in December 22. We have had a very cold winter and he has primarily just had turnout in a paddock with varying levels of frozen and wet ground! He has been ridden on soft ground at walk on about 15 occasions since December. He is dubious about walking on uneven ground preferring the soft paddock. I am just experiencing my first abscess which is recovering. My trimmer feels it was caused by a stone or other puncture wound and is not too concerned about it. My horse was in a waterlogged field at the time. I am now wondering if I need to be implementing a more structured exposure to different surfaces through in hand work. Do you have any experience of transitioning?

I have a barefoot farrier, [Content removed] and he has encouraged me to use hoof boots. Having looked at the boots there appears to be an extensive range! I would like to use some pads rather than the heavy looking hoof boot contraptions, does anyone have any pointers re boots or pads?

Feed wise he is having Baileys 24, biotin and beet, forage is grass but has been hay and latterly a mixture of hay and haylage.

Any support or guidance would be very much appreciated. I am sorry to post such a long thread but hope it gives you a idea of where I am at in the process. Thank you for reading the post.

Last edited by a moderator:

lynz88

Visit site
There are a lot of threads on barefooters so would defo start there. I have a barefoot TB - the biggest thing for him is the correct feed (low sugar/starch) and balancer. I use FP Hoof & Skin. Off of it he is footy. I also use hoof boots and did a lot of in hand walking on pavement when his shoes initially came off. We have had a lot of wet weather which will affect their feet as well (soften them) so do be aware of that.

I personally wouldn't bother with biotin. If fed correctly, horses can make their own.

I would suggest contacting Hoof Boutique and providing pics and measurements to get an idea of what type of boots might suit best as a starting point. Mine fits Flex boots perfectly and have been very happy with them.

You should also think of hoof rehab (assuming that's what you are doing) takes time and it takes gently challenging the horse. Think of it similarly to muscles....if you do nothing but sit on a comfy sofa all day, you will never build muscle. Likewise always staying on a soft surface isn't going help your horse in developing appropriate calluses it will need

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
There are Facebook groups where you can buy and sell second hand hoof boots and get advice- you’ll likely get through different types and sizes before feeling like you want to commit to new ones which are obviously more costly.

Although less refined, I always start with cavallos and many have stayed in them as a permanent solution- very cost effective and hard wearing if your horse has relatively round feet.

Janey5

Visit site
There are a lot of threads on barefooters so would defo start there. I have a barefoot TB - the biggest thing for him is the correct feed (low sugar/starch) and balancer. I use FP Hoof & Skin. Off of it he is footy. I also use hoof boots and did a lot of in hand walking on pavement when his shoes initially came off. We have had a lot of wet weather which will affect their feet as well (soften them) so do be aware of that.

I personally wouldn't bother with biotin. If fed correctly, horses can make their own.

I would suggest contacting Hoof Boutique and providing pics and measurements to get an idea of what type of boots might suit best as a starting point. Mine fits Flex boots perfectly and have been very happy with them.

You should also think of hoof rehab (assuming that's what you are doing) takes time and it takes gently challenging the horse. Think of it similarly to muscles....if you do nothing but sit on a comfy sofa all day, you will never build muscle. Likewise always staying on a soft surface isn't going help your horse in developing appropriate calluses it will need
Great tips I'll follow up the diet and hoof boots. I kinda think my rehab isn't very good and want to set a plan in place. I have looked at FP and initially thought it to be very expensive, but I think the feed ratios balance this out. I was considering having the ppaddock and water tested via the FP website and kinda felt this was the starting point before I decided the balancer. I didn't know about the biotin point! It is so easy to just waste money on supplements.

lynz88

Visit site
Yup. FP isn't cheap but I am of the opinion that having a useless horse is even more expensive. Mine is on FF and Alfa A oil as well as linseed. I also feed oily herbs with rosehips, FP balancer and a mix of natural vit e, grapeseed extract, Yeasty Magic gut, and MSM mixed together and seems to be the magic formula (MSM is a source of Sulphur and very good for feet). He also gets a 50-50 mix of hay and haylage (not soaked) and works well for him.

I never had an issue with him back home being barefoot and he was on beet pulp, hay cubes, sweet feed, baking soda, MSM, and flaxseed with a lot of hay (we do not feed haylage in Canada due to risk of botulism).

paddy555

Visit site
I am not a great worrier about diet. I have had BF horses since the 1970's and they have had all sorts of terrible diets. . I did change a few years ago to what people would consider to be a good BF diet but didn't see a difference so mine have had molassed sugar beet all winter and no problems at all. However of course a good diet is important for any horse.
I would feed a good supplement and vit E. I use equimins advanced concentrate.

From some of the points you mention the frozen ground stands out. Doesn't work too well on newly de shod feet. It can cause bruising. I would guess your trimmer is right about bruising (from any cause) ending up with an abscess. They can take a long time to heal. If your horse is still barefoot for next winter it may help to consider his management then to get him on some drier surfaces at least for part of the time.

It is absolutely impossible to comment on a situation without having some idea what you are looking at ie photos as I mentioned in one of your earlier comments (different thread)
to me the trim is the most important aspect of if a horse is sound barefoot. If it is then of course it can go on to be conditioned over gradually harsher surfaces.
I will stick my neck out and suggest the trim is your first port of call and specifically if your horse has been over trimmed. Of course I have no idea how much has been taken off but sometimes very little is needed and what is actually needed is not a trim of the whole foot but a trim of certain small parts.

You make no mention of frog health but that will me more obvious if we could see pictures.

I would think boots are going to be essential. I wouldn't even bother trying to get your horse conditioned over harsher surfaces ATM, I would boot, get the horse out riding, let his feet adjust and then at a later date start to condition him to riding barefoot by removing the boots for increasing periods. To my mind if he is dubious about walking over uneven surfaces his feet are not good enough to start conditioning.

I would imagine that if your horse has been BF and trimmed since Dec. then the feet are probably the size they will end up at (or at least for a reasonable period of time)
The boots I would not use are cavallos nor any of the bulky type of boots. I think the best riding boots are renegade vipers or classics. Then probably flex and gloves.

I would go for a boot with a thick sole. For me that would rule out flex and scoots. The thickest soles are on renegades and gloves. From your description you need good sole protection.

If you have an EPT trimmer I would imagine there will be pics of your feet from the day the shoes came off up to the last trim.

Janey5

Visit site
I am not a great worrier about diet. I have had BF horses since the 1970's and they have had all sorts of terrible diets. . I did change a few years ago to what people would consider to be a good BF diet but didn't see a difference so mine have had molassed sugar beet all winter and no problems at all. However of course a good diet is important for any horse.
I would feed a good supplement and vit E. I use equimins advanced concentrate.

From some of the points you mention the frozen ground stands out. Doesn't work too well on newly de shod feet. It can cause bruising. I would guess your trimmer is right about bruising (from any cause) ending up with an abscess. They can take a long time to heal. If your horse is still barefoot for next winter it may help to consider his management then to get him on some drier surfaces at least for part of the time.

It is absolutely impossible to comment on a situation without having some idea what you are looking at ie photos as I mentioned in one of your earlier comments (different thread)
to me the trim is the most important aspect of if a horse is sound barefoot. If it is then of course it can go on to be conditioned over gradually harsher surfaces.
I will stick my neck out and suggest the trim is your first port of call and specifically if your horse has been over trimmed. Of course I have no idea how much has been taken off but sometimes very little is needed and what is actually needed is not a trim of the whole foot but a trim of certain small parts.

You make no mention of frog health but that will me more obvious if we could see pictures.

I would think boots are going to be essential. I wouldn't even bother trying to get your horse conditioned over harsher surfaces ATM, I would boot, get the horse out riding, let his feet adjust and then at a later date start to condition him to riding barefoot by removing the boots for increasing periods. To my mind if he is dubious about walking over uneven surfaces his feet are not good enough to start conditioning.

I would imagine that if your horse has been BF and trimmed since Dec. then the feet are probably the size they will end up at (or at least for a reasonable period of time)
The boots I would not use are cavallos nor any of the bulky type of boots. I think the best riding boots are renegade vipers or classics. Then probably flex and gloves.

I would go for a boot with a thick sole. For me that would rule out flex and scoots. The thickest soles are on renegades and gloves. From your description you need good sole protection.

If you have an EPT trimmer I would imagine there will be pics of your feet from the day the shoes came off up to the last trim

Janey5

Visit site
Thank you Paddy for the comprehensive view and guidance. I feel as if I need to rethink the process I have used. The trimmer I used did not take any photographs. I will get some photos and share them. Re boots and diet, your guidance is very much appreciated. Boots and riding will improve how he feels, about a job to do and his feet, which in turn will improve my confidence. I have probably done him a disservice, through lack of knowledge, but all is not lost. You live and learn sadly! This forum is so helpful :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Um, be very careful especially with tb type feet that toes don't get too long and heels too low.

My horses are all now successfully barefoot with good foot balance after a rather lumpy journey to get there. I changed from an EPA trimmer to a farrier, and now trim them myself.

Boots can be very helpful when transitioning, but the foot balance must be right.

Good luck.

Last edited: