Barefoot trial, foot sore horse, what should I do?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
My horse had his shoes off last summer as I wasn't riding, have just started again and he's been back in work about a week. His feet look good but my friend rode today and she thought he was rather foot sore. Now I'm not sure what I should do, she has suggested hoof boots but should I stop riding in the meantime? We have a fair amount of road work so I can't even stay on grass tracks.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Boots shouldn't take that long to arrive, the delivery system seems to be getting better. I would restrict riding to smooth or soft surface meanwhile.

ycbm

Visit site
I love Renegades but they are fiddly to set up. Lots of people swear by Scoot. Hoofbootique.co.uk is great on advice.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Walking on tarmac is usually ok for bare feet, even in the early days of transition, so I wouldn't personally stop road exercise unless he is very obviously uncomfortable. Hoof boots definitely the way forward. Since he's been out of shoes a while you should be able to get something that fits well without worrying that his feet are going to change shape in a couple of months.

ycbm

Visit site
JB spring footiness is common, do you have him on a low sugar diet and a 'barefoot' balancer, plus yeast if the balancer doesn't have it? I'd recommend it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank was footy on tarmac after a few weeks without shoes- similar sort of time of year, he wore boots (front only) for all non-grass work for approx 6 months. We had easyboot gloves and unusually stayed in the same size forever.
I don't know what it's like where you are but the ground is rock hard here for the time of year too.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Walking on tarmac is usually ok for bare feet, even in the early days of transition, so I wouldn't personally stop road exercise unless he is very obviously uncomfortable. Hoof boots definitely the way forward. Since he's been out of shoes a while you should be able to get something that fits well without worrying that his feet are going to change shape in a couple of months.
Ok thanks, I might take him for a wander in the morning then so I can see how he is.
JB spring footiness is common, do you have him on a low sugar diet and a 'barefoot' balancer, plus yeast if the balancer doesn't have it? I'd recommend it.
Erm...no, gone into this completely without any particular thought. Had to start riding him again as he got too fat. He's only fed a bit of chaff and a handful of nuts, I also add a balancer and some salt. Any particular balancer you'd recommend?
You may find that you only need boots for the front feet so try that first before buying them for all round.
Good plan, thanks.
I find this website really helpful, especially the blog posts.

https://hoofgeek.com

The blogs cover transitioning, conditioning, boots and pads in a really easy to read way that's interesting and informative.
I will look at that, thanks
Frank was footy on tarmac after a few weeks without shoes- similar sort of time of year, he wore boots (front only) for all non-grass work for approx 6 months. We had easyboot gloves and unusually stayed in the same size forever.
I don't know what it's like where you are but the ground is rock hard here for the time of year too.
Rock hard and then some! We haven't had any rain for weeks, and when I look at the forecast it seems to just pass us by every day.

ycbm

Visit site
Any balancer with high copper and zinc and no iron or manganese, which limits you to three, I think. Equimins, Progressive Earth and Forageplus.

All high copper/zinc no iron/,manganese, all online. Equimins Complete seems to be most recommended these days. It has yea-sacc in it, no need to add yeast.

Lots of people get a great result with adjusting copper and iron balance with one of the 'barefoot' balancers.

ETA Ester says Equivita also does one, so that makes 4, see below.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use equimins but the magnesium is low for our set up so he gets extra. forageplus didn't used to do a pellet so have never had a need to try it.
There is equivita as well on that list I think ycbm.

JB we were lucky really the year we did it was a very wet one!

If you go the boots route, presuming all retailers are still functional if you take photos of the tape measure for width and length that can help people advise for best fit/allow for measuring discrepancies.

Kat

Visit site
Loads of brilliant advice above.

It is a tough time of year for barefooters. Mine hunts barefoot but is a bit tentative on our stony track at the moment. We have gone from really wet to really dry virtually overnight just as the grass is coming through. Give him a chance.

I have a pair of cavallo boots that I use as and when required. Just on the fronts.

Only thing I would add to the advice you already have is to treat for thrush. The very wet winter has been a problem for many and thrush can make a horse sore before it gets to the obviously smelly stage. Try some red horse field paste, it won't hurt but may make him much more comfortable.

ycbm

Visit site
I am a shoe him again person even if it is just fronts at first, barefoot does not suit all animals and it is only April and the ground is already like concrete.

I would not hesitate to shoe if the diet had already been adjusted and the horse had been given time to get used to the ground, with use of hoof boots where necessary, and it was uncomfortable in the field.

Boots are a great option these days for those who only 'need' shoes to be hacked out.

I have a TB who needed hoof boots last year having come out of shoes in January. If he had been shod then, I would never have known that this year he is rock crunching.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Both of mine are feeling the stones at the moment one is back in boots for hacking but they are both fine on the road and in the school without, the unfortunate thing for me is most tracks out of my house are really hard with huge stones and most horses would struggle on them barefoot.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Visit site
Why is iron bad? We have a lot of iron in our water/ground..

It latches on to the receptor sites for copper and the horse becomes copper deficient, usually not in any very noticeable way. Copper is important for insulin regulation of blood sugars and wonky blood sugar levels go straight for the feet. There's a scientific article on Forageplus if you want the detail.

Manganese does the same. My water supply is sky high in both. Our garage looks like a plant room with all the stuff that's in there to strip it out!

Quite often anaemic horses need copper, not iron.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Any balancer with high copper and zinc and no iron or manganese, which limits you to three, I think. Equimins, Progressive Earth and Forageplus.

All high copper/zinc no iron/,manganese, all online. Equimins Complete seems to be most recommended these days. It has yea-sacc in it, no need to add yeast.

Lots of people get a great result with adjusting copper and iron balance with one of the 'barefoot' balancers.

ETA Ester says Equivita also does one, so that makes 4, see below.

I didn't know that I will try that thank you they already get mag oz, salt and msm and one gets tumeric as his got arthritis, it wouldn't be doubling up on anything would it?

ycbm

Visit site
I didn't know that I will try that thank you they already get mag oz, salt and msm and one gets tumeric as his got arthritis, it wouldn't be doubling up on anything would it?

Mag ox is in it, though possibly not enough and too much is no problem you will just see cloudy wee. The others are fine, I think.

ycbm

Visit site
The simple answer is amongst other things supplemental iron can decrease zinc and copper uptake from the diet and over time can lead to deficiency and other health problems such as poor coat and hoof quality.

good article here
https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2017/10/31/10-reasons-avoid-iron-horses-diet/

It's not just supplemental iron. Most grazing in the UK is overloaded with iron, which means that most horses in the UK would be better off given additional copper, and zinc to balance the copper.

I feed copper sulphate and zinc oxide because it's much cheaper, but most people find the premixed balancers easier and less worry about getting things right.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Hoof Boutique is a wealth of information and i learnt a lot, I use equine fusion which are really easy to fit and scoot boots which again are really easy to fit. I am not so keen on the Easyboots, as they are a struggle to fit, although they do get easier.

My tb only needs front boots for the vast majority of the year, its only when the ground is rock hard or we are on stoney ground I put his back boots on. Note the foot needs to be off the floor when you measure, at first I could not work out why the measure was different between off the floor and then if i drew around the hoof on the floor. Simple the foot expands when it has its weight on it. The foot drawing did help with the first off fit for boots as whilst their are fit kits available for some of the boots, it is not available for all and will give Liz an idea of the shape of the hoof.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It's not just supplemental iron. Most grazing in the UK is overloaded with iron, which means that most horses in the UK would be better off given additional copper, and zinc to balance the copper.

I feed copper sulphate and zinc oxide because it's much cheaper, but most people find the premixed balancers easier and less worry about getting things right.

Very interesting. I feed a low cal balancer (top spec). Do you think I’d need more copper and zinc or do you think there’s enough in that? They have water from a stream/borehole that has a lot of iron, on top of the grass..

HBB

Visit site
All great advice given so far regarding transition to barefoot and diet. My preferred supplement is Equivita Ultra.

How long has he been out of work for? If it has been a long period, it might simply be a case of adjusting feed and start a suitable fitness program to build/strengthen muscle and condition his hooves to difference surfaces.

ycbm

Visit site

Very interesting. I feed a low cal balancer (top spec). Do you think I’d need more copper and zinc or do you think there’s enough in that? They have water from a stream/borehole that has a lot of iron, on top of the grass..

It's worse than that I think. I suspect your balancer has added iron and manganese. I would not personally feed any balancer but one of the four listed above, which all contain much higher levels of copper and zinc and no iron or manganese.

If your borehole water, like ours, is full of iron then your grazing almost certainly is too. I would strongly recommend you either switch to a barefoot balancer or top up very significant levels of copper (usually about 400mg a day) and zinc ( ditto but 1200mg a day).

Incidentally Top Spec balancers have, anecdotally, a very poor record for footie barefoot horses.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
All great advice given so far regarding transition to barefoot and diet. My preferred supplement is Equivita Ultra.

How long has he been out of work for? If it has been a long period, it might simply be a case of adjusting feed and start a suitable fitness program to build/strengthen muscle and condition his hooves to difference surfaces.
He's been off since July last year.
Unfortunately I didn't get to ride this morning, maybe tomorrow instead.