Barefoot trim ... how much do you pay?

Greylegs

Visit site
Sadly, I have just lost my beloved farrier as he's had to retire due to health problems. My barefoot highland gets trimmed every 8-10 weeks so I now have an appointment with a new guy ... I've spoken to him several times as others on the yard use him. He seems very competent, but he's never worked on my pony before. Having got used to paying £20 a time for a trim, i just wondered what other folks pay for this service as the new guy is charging £45.00? Thanks all ....

_HP_

Visit site
I have been trimming mine myself for about 3 years now but had the farrier last week to check all was well and it cost me £20 (south west)

Blurr

Visit site
My farrier charges £24, I'm in the South East.

Is your new guy a farrier or an equine podiatrist/specially trained barefoot trimmer who does something amazing with hooves? £45 seems a lot.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I pay £45 for my EP barefoot trimmer. Worth every penny to me! I personally wouldn't want to go back to using any available farrier locally since swapping, despite the difference in price :)

Hawks27

Visit site
I pay barefoot trimmer £45 as my horse had poor feet when I bought him, hoofcare and diet assessed when I got him and appropriate changes made, when I relocated for work to Southampton I just used the yard farrier for a year as he wasn't really been ridden this cost £20 a trim which was great but sadly 3 well recommended farriers later my horses feet are worse than when I bought him hes constantly foot sore and has cracked heels and crap soles and all round horrid so now ive moved home im getting my barefoot trimmer back.
I found the farriers gave no advice never commented on issues with his feet even when asking them for advice they just brushed me off or spewed some rubbish that was not beneficial. they trimmed hooves in 5-10min
barefoot trimmer gives me a full report on hooves with pics takes at least an hour talks me through everything gives me care advice that makes sense and works hes not foot sore and his feet look great
so you get what you pay for, this is not a sleur against all farriers as ive seen some good ones in my younger years but currently even on recommendation cant seem to find one who knows what a good barefoot ridden trim means they just think a neat round hoof with no sole care is satisfactory and in the case of 2 of the farriers absoloutely no hoof balance what so ever poor horse was left hobbling lame after one

SuperH

Visit site
I pay £20 but I also have one shod at the same time. He looks (picks all feet up and sees moving) at my unshod one every time he comes (so every 6 weeks) but he only trims if she needs it, she was last done 14 months ago. My farrier is excellent with both my unshod and shod one and is willing to give constructive advice and will show you any stage in more detail if you ask.

xgemmax

Visit site
I pay 20 for a trim but sometimes if my two just have a little rub round with the rasp he charges £20 for the two of them :)

JJS

Visit site
I pay £20 but I also have one shod at the same time. He looks (picks all feet up and sees moving) at my unshod one every time he comes (so every 6 weeks) but he only trims if she needs it, she was last done 14 months ago. My farrier is excellent with both my unshod and shod one and is willing to give constructive advice and will show you any stage in more detail if you ask.

My farrier does this too, and my horse's feet look wonderful. He generally gives him a trim every 14 weeks or so, and usually doesn't charge me more than £5, if at all! He's absolutely amazing 😊

Scarlett

Visit site
£30 per horse (3 horses) by a well respected trimmer. I've always used a trimmer - I like the 'whole horse' approach - and they have always been £30-40.

chocolategirl

Visit site
My farrier charges £24, I'm in the South East.

Is your new guy a farrier or an equine podiatrist/specially trained barefoot trimmer who does something amazing with hooves? £45 seems a lot.
I would agree £45 seems a heck of a lot to me for a trim? My farrier has over 35 years experience and only charges me £22. I never understand why people pay an equine podiatrist more than twice as much as a farrier for trimming feet? We have a lady on our yard who pays £45 as well! Surely a farrier is as qualified if not more so to trim horses feet??.

w1bbler

Visit site
I only pay £65 for a set of shoes, £20 for a trim. £45 for a trim is horrendous. My farrier checks the 2 barefoot ones every 6 weeks when he's doing the shod one. Today neither bare one needed a trim, 1 had a bit of manky frog trimmed from 1 foot, he couldn't be bothered to charge at all for that.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Trimmers spend about five times as long getting the hoof balance exactly right which is why they charge more. My farrier charges £25. He's a good farrier but only spends around 5 minutes trimming all four feet. A trimmer will spend up to an hour and keep records and notes of each horse to track its progress. If a horse had foot balance problems and I wanted it barefoot, I would choose a trimmer over a farrier.