Barefoot trimmer, Humberside area

TelH

Visit site
I used to live near Scunthorpe and used Jed Hallam the farrier from Westwoodside. Only one of my 5 ponies is shod and he did a great job with trimming the others as well as the shoeing.

metalmare

Visit site
Thanks... I'll look into him.

Reading past posts on here there seems to be a lot of conflicting advise about who to use (ie trained farrier or barefoot trimmer) when keeping a pony barefoot. I don't want a debate but I do want my pony to have healthy feet! It's a pain getting anyone to come out to just trim one pony and current farrier charged twenty-five pounds last time (although he was doing other horse on yard, too) and then said pony didn't even need it... it was just for the experience!

Some people trim their own but this sets off panic alarms, too. Hard to know what to do when people won't come out and you aren't qualified to do it yourself. I did think about doing a course but I haven't the time or money at the moment. Grrr!

Rudey

Visit site
I live in Scunthorpe! I use Jimmy Farnham, I keep my horses in Messingham, North Lincolnshire, he doesn't live too far away. He's great but isn't really taking on new clients unless they are in the area he covers.
cool.gif

There is Shaun Chatterton who's on the British Shoe-ing Team, he lives in Lincoln and covers surrounding area. I've only heard good things about Jed Hallam, but never used him myself. I guess it depends what area you will be keeping your horses in! xx
grin.gif

metalmare

Visit site
I'm four miles from Brigg and current farrier lives there, but will only come when other lady needs him and her visits are rather infrequent.

Rudey

Visit site
Ah right, we're practically neighbours then lol! What yard are you at? I know Jimmy does around that area, I can PM you his number if you want? My friend lives the other side of Brigg to me in Bonby, she has the farrier out regular as she's got several horses. So he's always up and down that way out, his name is Simon Britcliffe, a few of my mates use him and he's good! I know Shaun's brother Dale Chatterton lives in Scawby, but he gets booked up alot and difficult to get hold of if you don't pre-booked in advance. There's a new farrier out called Ash, trained by Jed Hallam, he goes out to my friends house in Scotter just to trim 2 of hers, so maybe he could be worth a try? xx
grin.gif

Ali2

Visit site
If you're not happy at £25 then you likely won't want an EP at £40 a visit. Although for the service given by an EP I think £40 is very good value.

List of EPs is here
List of UKNHCP trimmers is here

metalmare

Visit site
Well, I might have been happier with twenty five pounds if he hadn't then said they didn't need doing. I still think it's more than most people pay for a trim. But as you say barefoot trimmers charge a lot more probably as there are fewer of them.

Rudey - I'd love you to pm me some numbers, that would be really helpful! I'm not actually at a yard, I'm lucky enough to be able to pay some field rent on the field and stable at the bottom of my garden... bliss! Still wish the stable was at my end of the field though so I could pop out in my dressing gown. Whereabouts are you?

metalmare

Visit site
Thank you both for websites... there is one person there who might be close enough and who I have heard very good things about. Although a barefoot trimmer costs more per visit I did email one to discuss options (sadly she's a bit far away) and she said she would be happy to come less often and for me to do minor rasping in between which would balance out the cost, provided she watched me at first and was happy. I don't know that this is ideal though.

There seem to be both too many and too few options at the same time... very confusing!