Barefoot Trimming

m.charityheath

New User
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how realistic it would be to be able to learn how to do a barefoot trim on a horse without qualifications? I'd really like to be able to trim my own horse's feet (not for shoeing purposes, I'm aware this isn't allowed anyway), but the all the relevant courses and qualifications seem to cost thousands of pounds, which obviously isn't economically viable just to trim my two ponies. I have most the books that are used on these courses, and I have a part-time job on a track system livery where I regularly chat to the (ISNHCP qualified) trimmer whom I have learnt a lot from, and I'm willing to invest in the right tools if learning how to do a basic barefoot trim is something that can be done without taking an expensive course, does anybody have any recommendations/advice on whether this is a good idea? Or is there anyone else out there who does trim their own horses feet without formal qualifications? Thanks!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think there are loads of us, welcome to the club. I learned from books and have been doing my own for many years now. If I was to start now, I'd try and get an experience trimmer to show me, but at the time I did it, there were none.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We trim our own. Too many bad farriers just pushed us over the edge. I think a qualified trimmer would do a better job at a one off trim but I think that is offset by the fact we can trim them twice weekly if we need to so can do things slowly and carefully.

I would struggle to let anyone else touch my horse's feet now to be honest. I'll never get over watching that farrier knife off beautiful, healthy frogs before I could gather my words to intervene... or the state their hooves got into with the next one, who told me her toes were long and her frogs were rubbish because her feet are "just like that", while she was tripping on every hack and going lame at the drop of a hat.

If you have the good professional support it sounds like you have the absolutely go for it with guidance, you're starting from a way better place than we were!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have trimmed 4 of my own now, all in regular road work and competing. One was competing BD to ele, one BS too.

My farrier initially taught me, sold me a decent rasp and gave me a knife. I also looked at the internet and bought a couple of books. Initially the farrier checked periodically, until I was confident.

The current one had issues from historical lami from before I had him. Because of that, a trimmer has done him 3 times in the almost 8 months that I have had him, with me trimming the rest of the time. I wanted more input due to his issues, but he is fab on them.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I do both of mine myself. Got a couple of good books, watched online vids and got some tips from the trimmer. I initially started doing maintenance in between trims, then dropped to quarterly checks from the trimmer with me doing them in between, finally moved away so did it all myself. Its very different doing your own to being a professional trimmer, as PF said you can do them twice a week if you want so can be much more conservative, plus you get to know your own horses hooves pretty well. It is quite hard work though, and can be tough on the back, though again you can always do one foot one day and another the next.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I just watched lots and know them really well, they'd been pretty established barefoot for a couple of years by then. Not sure I'd be confident doing anyone elses! But when in hard work he did better with 3 weekly trims so I started doing the inbetween ones (pro every 6 weeks) and then we just sort of carried on especially as I had moved away from trimmer (though she kindly still did the trip for me to start).

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Realistically? You don't need courses unless you are intending to do it as a professional career. If it's for personal use then pretty much anyone can do it. It seems to me that you've put a lot of interest in this already and I'm going to assume you are possibly ready at this point. Perhaps consider asking your trimmer to mentor you for a bit, though they may wish to charge you, that way you can be more confident and assured that what you are doing is right by their opinion and knowledge. Even if it is a simple session for observation and to provide any advice or constructive criticism would be better than you going at it alone. Either way, you seem pretty well informed and should have confidence in doing so I think. Final note and getting back to the main question; in my opinion, and as far as I'm aware, anyone is allowed to do trimming for personal use without the need of courses and qualifications so you should be fine with this in mind. You should be able to learn it through books, videos, and other professionals, there is no need for anything else.

I also just want to add here that I did mention in this post that OP seems to have a lot of interest invested into hoof trimming and I am NOT advising people doing it without the proper knowledge and research beforehand. When I said "anyone can do it" I don't mean you should simply grab a tool and have at it. So for those of you reading this who haven't invested time to do some homework, I will most certainly say that you should. Courses or not, please do your homework.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a newbie to the barefoot lifestyle, having only transitioned my two cobs beginning last Autumn.

I would be literally scared stiff to even think about trimming their feet myself!! It would seriously frighten me in case I got it wrong and caused them damage.

I HAVE taken the rasp to just fix a few rough edges, but that's about it!!

Personally I'm inclined to let the professionals (i.e. farrier or Equine Podiatrist) attend to their feet. My logic being you wouldn't try to fix your own teeth, would you............. ???

Dexter

Visit site
Personally I'm inclined to let the professionals (i.e. farrier or Equine Podiatrist) attend to their feet. My logic being you wouldn't try to fix your own teeth, would you............. ???

You would cut your own nails though......

I do mine. They pretty much self trim anyway and I just tidy up. Its not difficult. I dont think I'd be comfortable doing anything radical, but keeping the feet tidy is easy.

Red-1

Visit site
I'm a newbie to the barefoot lifestyle, having only transitioned my two cobs beginning last Autumn.

I would be literally scared stiff to even think about trimming their feet myself!! It would seriously frighten me in case I got it wrong and caused them damage.

I HAVE taken the rasp to just fix a few rough edges, but that's about it!!

I think each person should think what they are happy to do but, in my own case, I couldn't possibly lave his feet 6 weeks to get out of shape :oops:

We did a long (for him) hack yesterday, so in the evening I had to have a shave off his feet to make them perfect again. I generally trim twice a week, so only ever a shave off. They never get a chance to get over grown, and consequently never have a big change at trimming time. Because f his history, I do still have someone come and do a double check, as they can grow slightly funky, he is always better trimmed after they do him, but me dong him twice a week is better than 6 weeks of growth.

If I could get the trimmer weekly that would be good, but practicalities dictate that it is an unlikely scenario. I am next best.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm now trimming my own 3 neds, and I'm doing a darn sight of a better job than the EPA qualified equine podiatrist who I was formerly paying £35 per horse to trim ?.

I have invested in all the trimming kit, and have a good idea of the result I'm looking for, which is to leave some heel but to keep the toe short, which is the opposite approach to the barefoot trimmer.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm never going to claim to be doing a better job that a GOOD professional hoof care person. But I seem to have run into enough bad ones for me to be happier with my current approach than with the majority of the previous farriers or the trimmer we have employed.

Which is pretty sad.

It'll all come out in the wash. I'm kind of prepared for the idea that our trimming may have negative consequences down the line. The trimming and shoeing the last farrier was doing was having obvious negative consequences immediately! Given that their feet look good and seem to work OK now... I'm happy with the odds even though it feels terrifying sometimes.

palo1

Visit site
I trimmed my own (5 horses at that time) for nearly a decade. Depending on what you have got, what issues there are etc it may not really be rocket science and as others have said farriers and trimmers can make things worse in fact! I had a brilliant trimmer help my horse and me deal with lots of issues caused by a very poor trimmer on very weak feet and I was able to deal with that horse (I still do in fact) on my own. The other horses were just so much easier in that they didn't have big issues and it was simple enough to keep their feet balanced as they mostly self trimmed. BUT it is very helpful to have someone check your work/horses feet when you are doing it yourself - we are all pretty much dominant handed and dominant eyed and that can make a difference as can a degree of familiarity. For my tricky horse I had a super helpful vet who would look and then annually we would x-ray. That really worked well and that horse was signed off by the vet years ago!

I do now have a lovely farrier who provides a very unexpectedly good and convenient trim. I never would have thought to call in a farrier but at one point we needed another set of eyes and he was happy to help. I am now very happy to pay him to look over and trim if necessary. For me, this is the best scenario and we have one horse in full work who is able to step into and out of shoes without any problems/transition at all and the rest are happily unshod and in work. Obviously I can't shoe (and would prefer not to in all honesty but the one horse says differently!!) but it is wonderful to have more than 1 person and 1 set of options available.

I think it is helpful to have someone to help you to start with and to remain open minded about the results you are getting with your own approach.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm never going to claim to be doing a better job that a GOOD professional hoof care person. But I seem to have run into enough bad ones for me to be happier with my current approach than with the majority of the previous farriers or the trimmer we have employed.
I thoroughly agree with this.

I can do a better job than an indifferent or poor hoof care person, and also a better job than an excellent hoof care person who won't freeking well turn up when he is booked, grr.

PurBee

Visit site
I trim my own.
I did loads of research beforehand, 6 months of reading and video watching before even picking up a rasp, but sure, i could have just rasped the walls down to keep shape, during that time. I was too nervous of doing it wrong so erred on the side of caution.
What helped me personally is learning about all the structures of the foot - so watching cadaver hoof videos with people explaining all the functions.
This also helps you to be able to measure the sole depth via frog grooves, and helps you understand why in most cases, the sole needs to be left alone.
This cadaver learning also helped me realise the simplicity of the function as well as the complexities when feet issues arise.
You learn so much by drowning in books and videos about the hoof....i love the topic now!

My horses feet have not been easy cases, and trimmers i’ve had didn’t do anything to correct the issues, theyd shave the walls and be off with 100 quid!
Only by learning about the hoof function/structure did i then realise they did have issues, and was annoyed that no qualified foot expert identified them and remedied them.

So for keeping an already good foot growing well, a regular shave of the walls is mostly whats required, and really that’s easy, if your back can take it! ?
To do remedial trimming to correct balance, weird growth patterns, laminitis trim, requires more understanding of the foot function and internal structures and best to get in an expert who has a good rep, and learn via them with each visit/ask questions, and do interim mini-trims alongside guidance.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Mine started having their shoes off last year and I began ‘tidying’ up their feet in between trims.

I’ve got braver as I’ve gone on and do a little bit more each time.

My farrier is pleased with how their feet are looking, and I quiz him extensively when he’s here.

I’ve extended his visits to 10 weeks now. They do roadwork and I run the rasp round once a week or so. It’s never a big job and it’s more to tidy up.

I’ve done a lot of my own reading, and already had an understanding of the Anatomy. I err on the side of caution and don’t do anything too extreme.

Zuzan

Visit site
I've been doing my own horse now for about 10 years.... It's very possible to maintain your own horses hooves.. it means smaller more frequent trims (which to my mind are better than the once every 4 - 6 wks by hoof care professional)

I find it's a continual learning process ... I do have a prettty good library and watch quite a lot of videos / webinars etc .. developing a good understanding of the hoof anatomy and how to visualise what is inside the hoof capsule by what you see externally is both a fascinating and rewarding. And as you you will realise the hoof is of course connected to the rest of the horse and there is a dynamic feedback loop .. so you start picking up lots of other insights in to posture and movement too .. it is all linked!!

The only down side is I find it quite hard work even doing mini trims as my horse has file destroying hooves .. If I had more than one I would have a hoof care professional!!

PurBee

Visit site
I've been doing my own horse now for about 10 years.... It's very possible to maintain your own horses hooves.. it means smaller more frequent trims (which to my mind are better than the once every 4 - 6 wks by hoof care professional)

I find it's a continual learning process ... I do have a prettty good library and watch quite a lot of videos / webinars etc .. developing a good understanding of the hoof anatomy and how to visualise what is inside the hoof capsule by what you see externally is both a fascinating and rewarding. And as you you will realise the hoof is of course connected to the rest of the horse and there is a dynamic feedback loop .. so you start picking up lots of other insights in to posture and movement too .. it is all linked!!

The only down side is I find it quite hard work even doing mini trims as my horse has file destroying hooves .. If I had more than one I would have a hoof care professional!!

You should try a Cody James rasp - they’re excellent and im finally enjoying trimming again, compared to using quick-to-blunt conventional rasps.
I did a review of them here:
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/cody-james-hoof-rasp-review.804030/#post-14611560

m.charityheath

New User
Visit site
Thank you everyone this has been very reassuring, does anyone have any recommendations for some good quality tools? I'm willing to invest in the right ones.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you aren't going to buy the Cody James rasp, and they are eye wateringly expensive, buy rasps used by farriers from a farriery seller. I use Save Edge.

If you keep on top of things you will probably never use nippers and only rarely a knife, so I don't find the quality of those as crucial.

Red-1

Visit site
I used a Rider's Rasp when first starting. I now find them quite useless, and TBH now don't even know where it is, but at the time it seemed less intimidating.

I then got a proper rasp that my farrier sold me, it was mid priced and not a coarse one, but it was industrial rather than hobby in sharpness retention.

That said, I have just ordered the Cody James one this morning, just the fine, as I do them twice a week. Mine has been in use for maybe 5 years now.

I too have never used nippers, if you do it often enough, they never get long enough to nip. That said, I just ordered some this morning whilst ordering the rasp, but it is for ergots!

My farrier gave me a knife, with sharpener. I simply daren't use it! It is so sharp I fear for my or my horses' arteries.

paddy555

Visit site
If you aren't going to buy the Cody James rasp, and they are eye wateringly expensive, buy rasps used by farriers from a farriery seller. I use Save Edge.

If you keep on top of things you will probably never use nippers and only rarely a knife, so I don't find the quality of those as crucial.

I fancy trying the Cody rasps but it is the eye wateringly expensive bit if I don't like them that stops me. :eek:

I use Heller legends. I have tried others and come back to those but most of the rasps are pretty similar and it is a case of personal preference.

What you really do need above all else are gloves. One stroke with a new rasp and it will take your skin off badly and it becomes VERY sore.:D

If you look under "trimming tools" this site has well known makes.
https://www.equinepodiatrysupplies.co.uk

I just decide what I want and google for the cheapest price.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I also use save edge rasps, and definitely second good gloves.

I have a knife and nippers from the local farm shop, only really use the knife for flaps on the frogs and the nippers for removing chipped bits that are already half off.

I have a radius rasp (not a riders rasp) for tidying up the edge.

I also have a hoof jack, can't remember the brand but it was much cheaper than the usual ones and has three legs like a tripod. It does the job but has caused trouble with sudden collapses, OH has had to take it into the shed and sort it out a few times (usually problems with the thread going on a bit of threaded bar apparently). It is about 6 years old now.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is my kit. I have added a third dymondback rasp, the aggressive grade, since then.

4AEC1283-1068-4645-B168-71F171A72D61.jpeg

5EE55363-FAD5-4571-9111-A51BAB0B9ACA.jpeg
Some people will be able to cope fine without a hoof stand of some sort, but I couldn't do the job without - I have a knackered back.

The first items to get are IMHO a rasp and gloves. Try trimming and see how you go :).

I was paying £75 for 3 trims every 4 to 6 weeks, so I was paying between £650 and £975 per year in farrier bills. Saving on that means that it was less painful to spend on some good kit.

I would really like to by a hoof stand. Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced one please? (not one that collapses as OH is useless with things like that!)
I've got a hoof jack. It's tough and easy to use - no collapsing. The mini hoof jack is suitable for creaky horses as well as ponies.