Barefoot-Underneath of my horses hooves

A Guilding

Visit site
Coronary height is low. But the perspective is difficult. It hasnt long been de winged, That's the bit that is relevant. Who ever trimmed it did a good job.
I did a lot of measureing on the subject over a period of 6 months. Used to use Pythagoras, half the width times depth, then compare with coronary height, toe angle and toe length and most importantly coronary band width.
S7001263_zpsff81e37a.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
that's interesting, what do you mean by de-winged? Having got familiar with them recently I think flat feet are much easier to see in real life than to reproduce in photos, well without your ruler anyway! I have more pics before and after that but not sure if they would be any more useful!

For interest that was a week after his first trim without shoes (6 weeks after deshoeing). had had some reverse rotation of P3 on xray and lameness in that foot that blocked to hoof/back of hoof/mostly coffin joint.

he now has really good concavity (year down the line) but whether that is due to dietary changes or work I wouldn't like to say but its interesting to hear theories on why etc.

A Guilding

Visit site
Did it have reverse rotation? or just flat a 0 degree palmer angle? It is interesting the palmer angle, the reverse ones are always a shock when you see the x-ray, but usually you need a bit of heel height as p 3 needs an area to counter rotate into. De winged means removing flare, in order for the capsule to grow in a desired, yes I know my view of a hoof, direction then remove the distortion that counters that.
Am I a typical farrier?

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks, I thought that was kind of what you meant but wanted to check, sorry it was 0 degree, we managed to increase the heel in bar shoes with careful trimming over 3 months or so but I don't think P3 shifted (still bullnosed profile and lame). My guess given the concavity and the now straight profile is that it has now shifted (maybe encouraged by the soft tissue at the back beefing up a bit from working?).

What's typical? :p I don't think I've met enough to know apart from that they usually like tea and flapjack or bacon sarnies ;) :D

eta... no I didn't uknchp trimmers job.

A Guilding

Visit site
Thanks, I thought that was kind of what you meant but wanted to check, sorry it was 0 degree, we managed to increase the heel in bar shoes with careful trimming over 3 months or so but I don't think P3 shifted (still bullnosed profile and lame). My guess given the concavity and the now straight profile is that it has now shifted (maybe encouraged by the soft tissue at the back beefing up a bit from working?).

What's typical? :p I don't think I've met enough to know apart from that they usually like tea and flapjack or bacon sarnies ;) :D

eta... no I didn't uknchp trimmers job.

Yep that makes me typical I guess.
Its dificult to know what improves the capsule, but the attention to all the aspects usually helps.If there is a glaring chink in the management, farrier, or the conformation then you will be up aganist it, But it wont be just one thing it will be a set of circumstances that all go to make up the problem. The skill is un wrapping what you see and being skilled in more than words or literacy to fix it.