Barefooters feed help!!!!

Michen

Visit site
I am going round in circles re feeding. Started Basil on some oats as he's lacking a bit of energy. Do I need to feed limestone flour/calcium to balance them? Or shall I feed alpha (alpha never seems to be a popular choice though). Or will his forage plus winter balancer give him all the calcium he needs- even with the oats? Thinking of trying tiger oats as it says its balanced?

Currently on some mollichaff herbal as it's just what I had and I'm using it up, a few pony nuts, oats, FP balancer and salt.

Trying to decide whether to bother buying chaff/alpha again or just stick to oats and get some fast fibre. He doesn't need weight gain but he does need something to give him a little stamina.

He's not barefoot (I know I know, but he's not my horse and owner wants him shod- and quite frankly for an easy life at the moment so do I!) but I would still like to feed him as such.

Last edited:

maccachic

Visit site
Mine are BF and on Alfalfa (Lucerne) salt and a good multi vit / min and oats as needed for condition. Great feet and beautiful shiny coat. My mare needs a bit more energy but feed (extra calories) wont help she will just store it as fat best thing for her is more fast/fitness work