Barefooters in the NW?

dressagelove

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there are many of us in the NW who keep their horses barefoot?
I took my lad barefoot after he had many years of lameness problems with his DDFT. He is now sound as a pound and doing brilliantly. I then took my other guy barefoot, even though he was sound, and he now has fantastic feet, and should now stay sounder for longer!

It would be nice to know if there were others around here that we could share tips and stories, maybe even meet up for a coffee?

How do you all find keeping your horse barefoot in this region?
:)

here_i_am

Visit site
I've got 3 :) Went barefoot Sept 2011. Major ups & downs, but i know they're all so much better than they were when they were shod (although the "ignorance is bliss" attitude i had when they were shod was much less stressful!) One of mine is a cushings mare, one is a little Welsh A with a history of SI problems & the other has chronic rf problems due to soft tissue damage. Nothing is ever simple with any of them! Got some funky-shaped feet though :)

cptrayes

Visit site
Barefoot ride round Somerford or Kelsall? Three of us here with a dozen horses between us. I hunt, friend does 20 mile rides, we all do dressage.

DGIN

Visit site
I have 2 barefoot, 1 with a history of lameness and went to Rockley and is now doing great and a welsh D with great feet . I just wish it wouldn't rain as much round here!

Fimbacob

Visit site
Mine is barefoot! He does square his toes off which is something I am trying to sort out but other than that, its all good!

BorgRae

Visit site
My boy is barefoot, and has been since October last year, not because of lameness issues, but he threw both front shoes in the stupid amounts of mud!!! (He was already bare behind).

He was a bit footy at first, but I put him on 'formula for feet'. Have swapped now to Biotin plus (as formula for feet was soooo expensive).

He's doing brilliantly, not footy, really strong hooves! He changed really well! We're happy bunnies :D xx

dressagelove

Visit site
I also have a beast with no shoes on but was not overly impressed with the farrier this time

do you guys give them supplements or hoof oil for there feet??

Yes I do, because mine are TB types, and think they need a bit of extra help with their diet. Mine are on fast fibre, brewers yeast, mag ox, linseed, pro hoof and yea sacc :)

If you aren't impressed with your farrier I would recommend a trimmer. I know there is some controversy on HHO about whether they are more or less useful then a trained farrier, but I believe they are far superior. I have also had issues with so-called trained vets and saddlers getting it wrong, so don't know why farriers should be more inclined to get it right too! Don't trust any of them me!

cptrayes

Visit site
Mine is barefoot! He does square his toes off which is something I am trying to sort out but other than that, its all good!

A common cause is that the feet are too long, especially if you are talking about front feet. If the "corners"are rasped off the foot will look great :)

ibot

Visit site
Yes I do, because mine are TB types, and think they need a bit of extra help with their diet. Mine are on fast fibre, brewers yeast, mag ox, linseed, pro hoof and yea sacc :)

If you aren't impressed with your farrier I would recommend a trimmer. I know there is some controversy on HHO about whether they are more or less useful then a trained farrier, but I believe they are far superior. I have also had issues with so-called trained vets and saddlers getting it wrong, so don't know why farriers should be more inclined to get it right too! Don't trust any of them me!

oooh if you like PM me with some details of one paddy is just done but for next time that would be great

xx

BorgRae

Visit site
Does anyone know a trimmer that does Blackpool/Singleton/Kirkham area. I'm stables in Singleton.

I like my farrier, but would be interested in getting a trimmer out as they solely deal with barefoot :)

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Mine has never been shod and I can't think of anything that will change that. I chose to remain barefoot, even on the vets advice of remedial shoeing and the horse made a full recovery from her injury in a very short timeframe.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I have a farrier who's pretty into his barefoot stuff and can give you his number, but if you want a trimmer I can't help sorry :)

rachyblue

Visit site
Again I have a perfectly good farrier who looks after my barefoot horse. There is too much variance in the amount of training trimmers have done that I stick with my qualified farrier who does an excellent job.

Fimbacob

Visit site
Thanks CPTrayes! Cant quote as on my phone.
I use a farrier and it was actually him who suggested I go barefoot. Ive always been really pleased with him until recently, but I dont know what to do about it. Advice please!!! I dont feel he takes the time to balanc

Dab

Visit site
Me i'm another one with a barefoot, retired National Hunt exracer.

He went barefoot last June, after being diagnosed with bilateral hind PSD, x-rayed for KS and lame in off front! Didn't want to go shock wave or surgery option as I believe these are all secondary issues! I've been barefoot rehabing him ever since and fingers crossed we are finally getting there.

We'd certainly be up for a trip around Kelshall or Somerford over the summer at some point. :D

fishy

Visit site
Hi, just seen this post and wanted to say hi. We've got a little barefoot cob, he came to us with no shoes and has never had any (we've had him 2 yrs) has super feet, he's a good doer and lives on hay/haylage and fresh air. We've also got a half barefoot ISH (backs off last year, fronts off later this year fingers crossed) Had no problems with her and she's got lovely feet. Have a farrier for her 2 front shoes and a trimmer for her hinds and the cob. It's good to see so many happy barefooters x

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
Also recently joined the barefoot crew. She's trimmed by a farrier, who does quite a lot of nudey feet. Only had shoes off Tuesday so will be interesting to see how it all pans out

WhisperRoger

New User
Visit site
I have had my ID X barefoot for about 4 years now. I originally took his front shoes off for an X-ray to confirm that he had navicular syndrome, side bone & DDF issues and I've never looked back since. He still jumps and has no problems riding round Somerford etc.

I do keep him on a global herbs supplement for feet just to make sure he's getting what he needs in terms of hoof growth but they are as hard as welsh pony feet now. Well worth the 6 months taken to condition his feet to stonier ground etc (he was always perfectly sound on a hard smooth surface). I used Pro-feet during this period.

I can highly recommend the Old Mac G2s (with the inserts if needed) for assisting with hoof conditioning. I bought mine for about £140 4 years ago and not needed to buy another pair yet! These days I only use them if I'll be doing a lot of work on rough ground.

rowan666

Visit site
Im a barefoot enthusiast! In 28 years ive never kept a horse shod! Have bought horses that are shod and swiftly had them removed! I believe correctly managed very very few horses actually need shoes!

Toast

Visit site
Does anyone know a trimmer that does Blackpool/Singleton/Kirkham area. I'm stables in Singleton.

I like my farrier, but would be interested in getting a trimmer out as they solely deal with barefoot :)

Who do you use at the moment? I know of and have used most of the farriers in that area.
Wouldnt trust a barefoot trimmer after the mess I saw one make of a friends horses feet. Stock with your farrier, chances are he's had far more training than any barefoot trimmer ;)

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
I have a brilliant farrier from Blackpool area, he's the one who took my lady barefoot after 20 years of being shod. He does quite a lot of them without shoes round this area :)