Barefooters in the NW?

Fimbacob

Visit site
For the first time in years of barefoot I am also struggling with my horses feet! He has intermittant thrush and two sheared heels. Plus his sole seems to be all uneven and lumps of it have come off! I have been bathing in salt water (stand his foot in a bucket of it) and making sure his feet are clean and have chance to dry out but then its comes back. He only ever got fed lo-cal but I did start giving him a small amount of outshine, could it be this. Taken him off it to see if it makes a difference. Anyone else struggling? Is it the weather? Ground conditions? Help!!

ibot

Visit site
For the first time in years of barefoot I am also struggling with my horses feet! He has intermittant thrush and two sheared heels. Plus his sole seems to be all uneven and lumps of it have come off! I have been bathing in salt water (stand his foot in a bucket of it) and making sure his feet are clean and have chance to dry out but then its comes back. He only ever got fed lo-cal but I did start giving him a small amount of outshine, could it be this. Taken him off it to see if it makes a difference. Anyone else struggling? Is it the weather? Ground conditions? Help!!

Well my dear friend i think it could be the ground as we are struggling and normally we dont but with this rain we could put flippers on them instead :D:D

cptrayes

Visit site
hey

i have noticed since we moved up to the NW my horses feet are not looking the best :eek: Any tips would be great

xx

Major areas of the NW are high in iron and/or manganese and both of these can cause copper deficiency and require copper supplementation in order to regulate the use of insulin properly. This may be what has gone wrong with your horse, and if so you will need as a minimum to feed one of the two supplements formulated specifically by barefooters to contain higher levels of copper and little or no manganese and iron. These are Pro Hoof on eBay and Forageplus.

Fimbacob

Visit site
Ha ha ibot! Maybe we could invent horseflipper boots!
Gonna look into trying a copper supplement too, thanks cptrayes.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine's barefoot and we are just north of Garstang. He wears boots part of the time and we do lots of miles around the roads. He's on Pro balance too.

ellerslie83

Visit site
My boy is barefoot, he's permanently lame due to a collateral ligament problem in his right fore and it's done much better for being barefoot.

I'm moving to Underbarrow in South Lakes in July, but my horse is going to have to be sent up first.

Can anyone recommend a good barefoot trimmer that would cover that area?

Ldgr1021

New User
Visit site
I am just considering taking my boys shoes off. He has had intermittent left fore lameness for approx 9 months now, he also has a left hind spavin. He is having X-rays tomorrow as the vet did bursa block on left fore and he came sound. He did have a oedema to his navicular bone on the same foot two years ago and was told not to take the shoes off. My vet has said that I should retire him now, he is only 10 and is very low mileage. Any advice would be greatly received. I am based at somerford so if my boy ever comes sound would be up for a hack. Have been in contact with Julie bailey today who was very helpful, not sure if anyone has ever used her, would appreciate some feedback as this could be our last chance. Thank you x

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I haven't used Julie Bailey but from what you have said it sounds like you have nothing to lose by taking your lad's shoes off and giving it a try.
Mine had really weak feet that wouldn't hold shoes but now they have improved no end.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I am just considering taking my boys shoes off. He has had intermittent left fore lameness for approx 9 months now, he also has a left hind spavin. He is having X-rays tomorrow as the vet did bursa block on left fore and he came sound. He did have a oedema to his navicular bone on the same foot two years ago and was told not to take the shoes off. My vet has said that I should retire him now, he is only 10 and is very low mileage. Any advice would be greatly received. I am based at somerford so if my boy ever comes sound would be up for a hack. Have been in contact with Julie bailey today who was very helpful, not sure if anyone has ever used her, would appreciate some feedback as this could be our last chance. Thank you x

I've used Julie Bailey - the only reason I stopped using her was because she stopped coming as far north as I am in Kendal. :( . Julie is fantastic, I really miss her coming, but I have another really good trimmer now too. Give Julie my regards! :)

PendleEquestrian

Visit site
Hi fellow barefoot people, just thought you would like to know that Pendle Equestrian is a barefoot yard , with barefoot tracks to the tune of 3, 2 miles when we finish the last leg if building phase 3 this spring, eventually our goal is to take horses for barefoot transitioning when all the surfaces are down. Its been 5 years hard slog so far, and possibility 5 more, but we will get there, my oldest horse has been barefoot for 12 years, I use rohan fox who is a font of knowledge and all round good egg!