BARF diet.

Tia

Visit site
Don't quote me, but I think that when you are doing the BARF diet properly you only feed the dog a few times a week rather than every day. I read up on this many years ago when I got my old collie (now 13 years old) and this was what they advised back then. She has always been fed raw meat and is still in pretty darned good shape.

I've never fed mine tinned dog food after finding out exactly what is in it - doesn't sound appropriate at all to me. But then neither do the biscuits they have in their bowls all day......
crazy.gif
. But hey I have too many other things to organise than making sure I have enough raw meat out of the freezer for my dogs every day. I guess if I only had the dogs then yes I would look at doing the BARF diet totally and properly.

Good luck - it does work wonders for them.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Anima, I will slap my wrists and sit in the corner to cool off
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
I would be really bored without the debate on here- OH and friends have learned to nod and agree to avoid a 3 hour argument so dont ge any at home
frown.gif

Just nip to hunting and poke some trolls if you feel the need
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol!!

Vyda

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Now, I will agree that stupid owners who encorage their dogs to chase other small furies make dangerous dogs- but feeding raw meat doesnt.
Back before baby and lack of horse I spent a lot of time at hunt kennals and found the hounds to be the most good natured dogs on the planet.Guess what they are feed on??

Dogs "getting a taste for blood" is pure myth, they may like whats in their bowl more but they wont go out and bite someone to get more blood.

PS- please dont write the forum off because of a bit of debate on this thread.
Looks like Ive hit on a passionate subject here(which normally means a cracking debate!).
No-one is having a pop at you, just dis agreeing with what you have said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anima, I have 2 lurchers and seriously encourage mine to chase and kill small furries, even large ones pre ban, why does that make me a stupid owner or my dogs dangerous?

I feed a BARF or raw diet and wouldn't feed anything else, shiny coats, bags of energy, nice clean teeth with no smelly breath, the other end is also so much easier to clear up.

You're in my area Anima would you put up the practice details please as they sound like my sort of Vets.

louismacshoe

Visit site
Been meaning to write about my dogs (sort of) Barf diet. Have too many dogs to do the veggie blending thing, and the shop bought Barf diets are very expensive when feeding number/size of dogs I have. So they all have human grade minced beef, mixed with a supplement made by CSJ dog food (called CP Xtra), and a raw beef bone on a weekly basis. Before they were all on various complete foods, a couple of them suffered constantly with skin problems (which have now disappeared), and I did find growth problems with dogs (large breed), resulting in intermittent lameness, (no conclusive signs on any Xrays) and loose stools. This particular diet was, I hasten to add, recommended by my vet, but I have since learned that it is a very cheap food in the USA, the price is just pushed up over here. At the moment they are all looking absolutely super, and I am very pleased with making the change, and I do not feed them anywhere near the quantities that I had expected that they would need.
cool.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Anima, I have 2 lurchers and seriously encourage mine to chase and kill small furries, even large ones pre ban, why does that make me a stupid owner or my dogs dangerous?

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesnt- yours are obviously working dogs,not pets(HUGE difference between the two IMHO).

Have not got the vets contact details to hand but will dig them out and post/pm you.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, guys...I shall bow out quietly here....enjoy the resr of the debate......... hopefully see you around in other less heated debates...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nooo! Don't go! Stick around and quarrel!!
grin.gif
This forum is all about healthy debate *ahem* It's just like the House of Commons!!
tongue.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So who's Tony bLiar????

[/ QUOTE ]
No idear,but I vote JM for speaker!

[ QUOTE ]
Can I be Cameron?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt that involve some,well, rather drastic surgery?
tongue.gif

Vyda

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

It doesnt- yours are obviously working dogs,not pets(HUGE difference between the two IMHO).

Have not got the vets contact details to hand but will dig them out and post/pm you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks the details would be great Anima.
BTW mine are also pets even though they work.

Try a book called, "Give Your Dog A Bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst, it's very practical and common sense reading.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oh, well done for remembering! (clearly you don't have any problems with short-term memory) Ginger Beastie is going quite well in Kimblewick with rein on bottom slot but NO chain. Still can get rather strong though. Will try waterford when it arrives, and a slightly larger dutch gag (happy mouth, not jointed) than the one I've got.

CARREG

Visit site
Anima
Ive fed my terriers and lurchers on BARF and meat/fruit/veg diets for years, theres no comparison between these methods and dried/tinned foods, you wont believe the difference this type of diet will make to your dog til you see it for yourself............Carreg

emmablatch

Visit site
I warn you if you do barf, poo is soooo much nicer to pick up lol! Teeth are nice and clean and breath is fresh.

You will need to find a nice butcher rather than a rip off merchant.

We have two cats as well but they are to lazy to eat barf, it would do them good, but you can't convince everyone
frown.gif

BTW you will either need to get a big freezer or visit the butchers regularly. We get turkey carcasses plus a variety of other bones and meats for our dog.

Emma

severnmiles

Visit site
Interesting you write about fruit and veg Carreg, when I bought my first Inuit, the breeder said you must include fruit and veg (barring grapes and raisins which are poisenous-spl?), they love apples, carrots, tomatoes and they even pick blackberries off of the bushes!