Bargain lightweight turnout recommendations please

Gottaloveaginger

Visit site
Am looking for a lightweight turnout with neck that stands up to the sort of prolonged rain that we've had recently (do they actually exist?!) To save me having to layer 2 lightweights on top of each other which is what I've had to do this week! On a tight budget as I need to buy 2. Have looked on ebay and seen Gallop, Sheldon, and Equidor less than £30 a rug but anyone got any experience of these? Dont want to waste my money buying something thats no more waterproof than a fly rug!

Wimbles

Visit site
The amigos are pretty inexpensive and have always been great for my horses. Usually have some good buys on ebay and also Hope Valley Saddlery normally have some at a great price. I tried a gallop one once and it was about as waterproof as a teabag :(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think cheap turnouts leak in general after a short while!
I've given up buying anything under 1000denier these days.
I was interested to see Derby house are doing a new range of their own rugs (which normally I'd not touch) but these look quite good! The one I looked at is currently half price, it's 70g and 1650d (or similar) which is higher than my rhinos. I think they have sheets also £39.99. I think they are premier plus range?!

skint1

Visit site
I've bought the Derby House turnouts with a neck, not used them yet, but am hoping they'll stand up!

JoClark

Visit site
I've literally just asked the same qn. I've seen a bucas no neck light for £40 inc delivery on ebay. I'm tempted to get that one but just waiting on recommendations

JLD

Visit site
I got a swish 50g last year and loved it. Currently 1/2 price in sale. Just bought a second as none of my others were as good weight wise - rain sheets are chilly sweats up in 100g .

AppyLover

Visit site
I've found the Robinson's Requisite brand are pretty decent, all of Teds where by them this past winter. I do love the Amigo ones but have vowed that I won't let myself buy one until Ted has stopped growing as I seem to like the really pricey ones lol and I need to make sure he isn't going to destroy it.

Embo

Visit site
I recently bought a KTY 5-a-day rug from Equestrian.com. Seems quite good quality for the price, not tried it out yet, though! It fits B really nicely and has elastic bit round the top of the full neck. Will see how it stands up.

I wanted the bright green ones but when I bought them they cost extra, so I got the navy. Just checked and the price has gone up on all of them!! Def worth buying out of season!

AngelitoCaz

Visit site
Not sure if they do a full neck but I have a maxwell mill one and it hasn't leaked and managed to survive a rug ripper field mate

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Got a Gallop one which wasn't great,
Amigo which was pretty good until another horse decided to rip it.
A Pessoa one I got really cheap from Hope Valley which is doing OK at the moment.
All of these are 600d.
I am just trying a Weatherbeeta Mesh combo which is 1200D, too early to say. It has the mesh panels so interesting to see how they cope with heavy rain. The horse I have it on gets really unhappy if he gets too hot and while we have had a lot of rain, it's not always been that cold.

ETA I know at full price the WB isn't cheap I got it at half price and the deals are still out there.

This is the Pessoa one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Pesso...to-7-0-/262018342420?var=&hash=item3d01829e14 they have some sizes.

Last edited:

Bertolie

Visit site
I have Gallop rugs for my horses. My daughters horse has a Gallop lightweight combo which will be on its 3rd winter this year. No leaks, no rips or tears. Love Gallop rugs and very good value for money.

YAMO

Visit site
Am looking for a lightweight turnout with neck that stands up to the sort of prolonged rain that we've had recently (do they actually exist?!) To save me having to layer 2 lightweights on top of each other which is what I've had to do this week! On a tight budget as I need to buy 2. Have looked on ebay and seen Gallop, Sheldon, and Equidor less than £30 a rug but anyone got any experience of these? Dont want to waste my money buying something thats no more waterproof than a fly rug!

Try the Sheldon one, we had one upon the recommendation of someone who used to buy for Aerborn at a show and they are a super fit. We have kitted all the horses out in these and they really are super value.

Brightbay

Visit site
Funny coincidence that I saw this thread today :)

I saw the weather forecast on Saturday and dug out the rainsheets. I put the sheet on the horse on Sunday morning. It started raining at 11am. It continued very heavily all day, and then rained on and off all night. Monday (yesterday) we had extremely heavy rain, with gale force wind, and then just normal heavy rain in the evening and overnight. This morning, when I got to the field, it was still raining. I thought I'd better do a rug check.

Two of the horses were wearing Shires Tempest Lightweights (600d), and one was wearing an Amigo LW. The Amigo was new in April this year, the newer Shires was from last November, and the older one was bought in November two years ago.

All the horses were perfectly dry under the rugs, after being out in what's now going on for 60 hours of continuous rain.

I took a photo of the big horse and his two year old rainsheet, because I get tired of people saying "Lightweights are only waterproof for showers" and "600d rugs aren't waterproof" and "you need to change a rug every 12 hours because otherwise they will leak", or "cheap rugs only last a year".

The big horse has 3 Shires Tempest rugs, one that's now 4 years old, one that's two years old and one that's a year old. They are all still waterproof in Scottish downpours, have survived gelding games and have never been to the rug wash but still look respectable. And they all cost under £40.

irishdraft

Visit site
I bought a standard neck by Sheldon a couple of months ago & am pleased with it my horses has been out 24/7 in it & they have kept dry plus very roomy round the shoulders which makes a nice change for my ids

Embo

Visit site
Am pleased to report that the KTY 5-a-day is standing up well to the recent downpours! And saw they were on offer for £26 or so the other day. I considered getting another!

I have previously used the Shires Tempest rugs and they were also very good.

uncle max

Visit site
Another vote for Ruggles - also Bridleway a\nd Shires are very good. Gallop never leaked but was an odd cut around the neck, seemed massive (and my horse has big shoulders!)

muckypony

Visit site
Just bought a loveson one for £30.. Fingers crossed!!

Not pleased with this at all. It's useless. The binding isn't sown properly so as soon as a certain little pony grabs hold it just shreds the binding from the entire rug! No other rug does it, I've now sown it all myself and so far so good.

LibbyL

Visit site
I bought a weatherbeeta genero for my rug ripper, has lasted incredibly well and very comfortable! Only down side is no shoulder dart thing, so is a little tight round the shoulders, but hasn't been an issue.
Derby house has 20% off on orders over £50, so 2 of them would be about £80 I expect, but I really rate them.
Super duper waterproof and has survived rug rippers and her trying to destroy it!