Bargy Mare Vs Stall Guard

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
I'm wanting to put up a stall guard for my mare, so she can have her door open when it's warm. My older gelding has a chain up and is very respectful of it. My mare is only young and tests the limits of everything, do you think a stall guard will be ok? I think when she realises she can't get out she won't try again. Any advice?

unbalanced

Visit site
My pony goes under hers. Don't ask how. It is a filled in one and properly attached. She limboes. She just really likes cattle feed.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I would not with a bargy mare.... if she is already bargy then your just asking for trouble especially if any people, or horses that have to pass her - many bargy horses end up being quite nasty and use their teeth.... and then she may end up with a slap across the chops -and that is just not fair on anyone

JustKickOn

Visit site
Could you rig up a little electric tape system across her door?
So long as you warn people it is electrified and put signs up, I think that would be an option, and teach her some boundaries!

babymare

Visit site
Personally i would work on her bargieness before doing it. Sort the barginess not just for a door guard but general manners. firm consistent (but not harsh) reprimands. eg if moves forward in firm tone say no(i say ah ah ah ah and both know that means your stepping over the line and think) and push back. just example :)