Barking dog

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
It’s late and I’ve been in bed for about
45 minutes. The window was open and there is a dog in a nearby house who has been barking incessantly the whole time. I’ve given up and shut the windows f am now sweltering! I assume he/she has been left alone.

Do you think owners don’t realise? Or just don’t care? Would you tell them? Or is life with a dog who barks constantly stressful enough? Just wondering as I can’t sleep as it’s either too hot or too noisy!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wouldn't assume it's been left alone. There's one over my back that nonsense barks.
I shout at it to stop (as I would do my own) and either it does or I hear a door slide open and shut and it gets taken inside.

ETA they have lived here around three years and I have never once heard them tell it to stop.

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
It amazes me that some folk have dogs barking for hours in the garden and dont give a hoot!

We almost called the police about loose, aggressive dogs as we heard and saw 2 loose dogs on our land, barking like mad as they ran about for an hour. Our cats/dogs and horses were all out, rapidly brought inside - no idea who’s dogs they were - we’re remote and closest neighbours no longer have dogs. (When they did it barked all specifically at night)
Turned out neighbours had visitors, brought their dogs and let them loose as they sat inside having a cuppa!

Another time, we heard what sounded like a full-on dog fight - or really disturbed dogs barking crazy at something - after 1hr no let-up, OH went to neighbours house where the noise originated, to see the same 2 dogs going crazy barking (at nothing!), while they again sat inside having a natter, seemingly not bothered about the hounds of hell snarls loose in the garden!

There were other incidents of barking.
Who goes to visit someone with their dogs and lets them loose in an unknown valley, knowing they bark their heads off and bugger off chasing whatever they find?
The farmer below us would shoot them on the spot - theyre known for that here…they detest loose dogs.

I like CC’s solution -yelling shut-up might hint to the neighbour its bliddy annoying to others. You shouldnt have to but truly, some folk train themselves deaf to their own dogs barking, manage to somehow filter it out ?

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
This is not acceptable and must not be tolerated.Is this a one off or has the dog barked at night before ?
Film it - you need evidence so record a short video.
If you know the irresponsible owner then tell them their dog spoilt your sleep in your home.
You can also report it - keep a diary dates and times and get evidence.
Ask other neighbours if they heard it and let it be known you will not tolerate somebody elses nuisance barking dog.

babymare

Visit site
Speak to your council. We had issue with next doors JR barking constantly when they went out(so pretty much all time) We were told to keep a diary, which we did. Council took it very seriously and visited the neighbour. Things improved 100%. Still hear him occasionally but all dogs bark at times.

BSL2

Visit site
I agree, keep log, speak with council. I had a neighbour who let his dogs have free run in and out of house all day whilst he was at work. Constant barking, did my noodle in. I have dogs, they are allowed to bark occasionally, but once told "enough", they stop. I politely asked him twice, the third time I told him I was reporting him. He doesn't speak to me now, but its quiet, so I don't care.?

Clodagh

Visit site
Our neighbours on the left had a dog that howled all day. They would be in the house playing music. One day, we were sitting in the garden I said in my normal voice (which is a bit parade ground like) FFS can’t they hear that poor f…ing dog. They came out and let her in. After a couple more hints they have made an effort. I don’t expect silence, but monotonous barking is awful.

Odyssey

Visit site
I hope the barking didn't go on for too long AE, that must have been so frustrating, and dogs barking constantly is bad enough when you're not trying to sleep!

I'm wondering what action people take when their dogs barking is a problem to their neighbours. If it's caused by a dog being left outside the solution is easy, but if it's separation anxiety because the owner has gone out it can be very hard to deal with. I've had two dogs who had it at first, but luckily they weren't bad cases and with a few weeks of training they stopped, but I know that in severe cases it can be very difficult to enable the dog to cope with being left for even a short time.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yeah mine are noisy at feeding time, when the car comes up the lane (just mine, they don't care about the neighbours), and when moving them around (IE if someone goes out past them and the other has to stay in their pen etc etc) but I do tell them to quit. If they bark at something which has disturbed them, it depends on what, but they are generally very good at perceiving the difference between my neighbour cutting the hedge and teenagers messing about outside.
My immediate neighbours are my landlords and I always check with them that the barking isn't annoying them and I have told them before to roar at them if they hear 'silly' barking when I am out.
If it's OMFG I'm Gonna Kill Dead Things barking, they are welcome to take a walk around to see if anything is wrong.

I was out sitting in the garden during lockdown with one of the lads and the dog over the fence would not give over and it was so annoying so I roared SCHLUSS which is the signal for the one from Germany to seriously, shut the hell up. That's when I heard the door sliding open. Oopsie. But I do it quite a lot now. I wonder if they were inside ignoring it or were sitting out like me but just **letting** it.
It pops off when I as much put something in my bin.

Great news though, when I was finishing up last oblutions last night, I heard HUGE dog barking from the other side of fence, on same row, so that's new. He's called Nacho, so I hear ;) little one had a bark back too but I told her I hadn't asked to hear from her. She'll stop answering him once she gets used to it, it's only because it was new.

fiwen30

Visit site
There’s a dog, somewhere, in our locale, which will make this high pitched, squeaky ’wee-wee-wee’ sound, over and over again, whilst shut out in the garden. It’s just at a pitch to burrow into your brain and drive you mad.

Then there’s the semi-detached neighbour’s Jack Russell that is turfed into the garden to race up and down the fence line to bark, because otherwise it stands at the front door glass and barks at things going past. The neighbour is too dim to correct or rebuke it effectively - they’ve never once said ‘Fido, *command*’, it’s just ‘FIDO’ ‘FIDO’ ’FIDO’. Dog doesn’t even recall to ‘FIDO’, so it’s an utterly pointless exercise, regardless.

Can’t stand a dog that won’t shut up when you tell it too; and can’t stand owners that chuck the dog out to be noisy outside, because they don’t want it being noisy inside.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Barking again at 3 in the morning last night. I don't know how the owners tolerate it. I'm not actually sure what house it is. It sounds yappy - terrier like - so perhaps I need to do a bit of dog stalking :D
Round here that would trigger a local Facebook post along the lines of 'does anyone know where the barking dog is, somewhere between X Road, Y Close and Z Avenue? I do hope their owner is OK as it sounded like it was shut out by accident as the barking went on for hours'
Usually get a few replies and either dog is shut up or the culprit is outed ??

Biggest bugbear on our local pages are dogs barking, fireworks, dog poo and bad parking...