Barking in morning

JBM

Visit site
My dog is 1 now and still insists on barking in the morning to get out of his crate ??‍♀️ 7:30am
One or two barks not repetitive but wakes me up
Doesn’t bark at my boyfriends house cuz another dog in the room with him and doesn’t do it if he sleeps in his crate in my room but my mum refuses to let that be a normal thing

any advice ??

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Tell him to knock it off?
If someone comes and lets him out or shows him attention he deems to be positive, he won't stop.
If there's a daily routine, then it's not fair to expect him to know that you want a lie in, dogs don't really have a concept of weekends.

Make sure whatever room he is in is in, is very dark. With lighter mornings, everyone wakes up earlier.

JBM

Visit site
Tell him to knock it off?
If someone comes and lets him out or shows him attention he deems to be positive, he won't stop.
If there's a daily routine, then it's not fair to expect him to know that you want a lie in, dogs don't really have a concept of weekends.

Make sure whatever room he is in is in, is very dark. With lighter mornings, everyone wakes up earlier.
Some times he sleeps til 9 sometimes it’s 7:30 not sure why the difference but may have something to do with the light
Thank you will try make his room darker and see how that goes

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes and no, my house my routine, the dog who was used to getting a 5am walk adapted to that **absolutely not happening** within about a fortnight and with the help of some black out blinds.

I agree but when you have established your routine, you stick to it. Ours go to bed after supper at 11 pm and have breakfast when I get up at 8.00 am. One of them barks if she is cold. We used to think it was the light which disturbed her but eventually worked out that she needed to be warmer.
OP, when you take on a dog, you need to forget about lie-ins.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ah well, my dogs all seem to have embraced the chaos/lack of routine here. Combination of training and luck I guess.
Lie in til 10? Grand.
Up at 4am to do a five hour drive? Sure why not.
(And yes, they're clean)

Clodagh

Visit site
See that's why I don't have that much of a routine. Follow me for more dog training tips and subscibe to my channel, 'Feck It, It'll Do' Dog Training.

#FIIDDT

I’ve subscribed. Ours have to suck it up, whatever the days plans are. That said I aimed for a lie in this morning but was wide awake at 7 so got up anyway.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It’s a bit like turning up to the yard at 9.00, when you’ve been there at 6.00 for the previous five mornings.

Actually, I think it's worse than that. If your horse is out it doesn't matter really when you get there and if stabled you can make sure that you leave enough hay to last for longer than usual. If your dog is used to going out at a particular time, it really isn't fair to expect him to wait for hours longer and that has no bearing on a horse, you just have more mucking out to do when you get there

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
Well we are on holiday, some nights the dog has been in the car alone, some nights we have all been in the car (a bigger car is needed), some nights we have been in a tent and tonight we are in a hotel, the dog is fine wherever we have been, some mornings we have been up at 6 and others at 10, she is usually last up, dogs are generally as flexible as we encourage them to be.