'Barn doors' on a trailer

holeymoley

Visit site
What is the point of having these? I'm curious as have seen them on a trailer for sale. Basically the back ramp can be used as a normal ramp or you can Open them as two doors at either side :confused:

zoon

Visit site
Much prefer them - lots of horses prefer to just step up rather than walk up a ramp. Also means you can load large bale hay in easily with a tractor and spike or bales of bedding on a pallet using a forklift

holeymoley

Visit site
Oooo thanks! I never thought of that. I'm not too sure my horse would prefer to step up. That's an interesting thought!

Tiffany

Visit site
Think it also used to mean no vat although could be mistaken. I know when I bought a trailer years ago Company did say it would be worth buying trailer with barn doors if we had a business?

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
I had a trailer with barn doors, never once had a problem with horses using the step, and very handy when loading with fork lift ect.

Rebels

Visit site
I heard an American say "why does a horse need a ramp when its not disabled?" Seemed a fair point, we expect them to step over bigger things than that usually.

Enfys

Visit site
Shut one side with horse in, brilliant thinks. Much easier to handle than a ramp, especially by yourself. I really dislike ramps now. A horse can easily be taught to step up and back out - many trailers do not have front unload, which I also dislike and would not choose to have again.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Bateson offer this option on many of their trailers, as has been said it's great for loading a pallet of shavings etc into the trailer rather than man handling them in.

mtj

Visit site
As mentioned before, this system is widely used in North America.

Only proviso is with poor loaders. Saw a magazine article (USA) which stated that accidents do occur when a horse's leg slides under the trailer. Probably not a good option if you need lunge lines etc.

Sprocket123

Visit site
I have a bateson with those doors, the horses just step up so dont use the ramp. I like it, I find the doors dont bang/rattle either when on the move

pintoarabian

Visit site
I have a Fautras with barn doors and no rear ramp. I do have an off-loading front ramp though. Would never go back to a rear ramp. All my horses just step in, no fuss, even foals.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I have always assumed horses would actually load better up a step as the ramp on trailers is so wobbly and bangs something crazy when they step on it. Plus with a step they can get their head in and have a good look round before committing to loading. I think with ramps you also get the problem that they get to the top and look in to the trailer, say 'no', and try to step back, fall off the ramp and scare themselves. Has always seemed silly to me that most trailers have a ramp as I reckon if I were a horse I'd prefer a step!

I have a ramp at the moment but when I am rich enough to replace I would definitely consider barn doors!