Baron Update - seems to be getting better.

vicm2509

Visit site
For those who have been following my posts here is a quick update. For those who havent - B has strangles, then developed the serious life threatening complication purpura haemorrhagica . He has been ill for about 4 weeks now.

Anyway, he developed a 3rd abcess last week, which burst on Saturday. It is still draining, but vet has said once it has fully drained, and providing he does not come out in any more then he can be weaned off steroids and taken off antibiotics.

Vet is very hopefull that he will make a full recovery. However there is always the chance he wont, but vet thinks its a very very small chance as I caught it so early.

The steroids are now sending him a bit mad, he is on limited turnout as they make him prone to lami and now as soon as I take his headcoller off in the field he goes nuts. He is fed up being in bless him. But he has been so good throughout the whole of this, and I seem to have developed and incredible bond with him.

I am so happy that I can now see the end off all this is getting closer. It makes me so upset seeing him ill
frown.gif

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
I'm so glad he seems to be getting better,

Fingers crossed for you that he will be fully recovered soon.

Its funny how much closer you bond with your horse when something like this happens eh.

BeckyD

Visit site
I'm so relieved to hear this, have been following your posts and keeping my fingers crossed. I have never had direct experience of strangles and it's important I think to hear about it and how awful it is, as people can be so complacent when there are outbreaks. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery xx