Barretts of Feckenham....Who was their saddler?

glitterfuzz

Visit site
I am trying to find out who the saddler was for Barretts of Feckenham. They had someone that made all their tack for them and they used to make unique plaited brow bands. Ive never seen them anywhere since and I want a new one!! I thought maybe I could try and track down the saddler that made their tack to try and get one.

I tried contacting the society of master saddlers and I got no response

saddly Barretts went into administration in 2008 and have since closed all their saddlery/camping stores

below is a picture of my friends horse wearing one of "Barretts" brow bands!

4148_194081590351_603735351_6826440_7633361_n.jpg

Orangehorse

Visit site
Surely any saddler could do this. There are a few saddlers around near Barretts, isn't there one at Inkberrow plus Miles who used to have the shop in Bromsgrove?

glitterfuzz

Visit site
I used to live near their store in Measham, Derbyshire so not sure! I have made one myself in the past after slicing up a plain browband and figuring out how its done but it doesnt look as good as the leather isnt stained where its cut. Barretts only charged about £5 for them, maybe thats why they went into administration!

If I cant find the guy that made them then I will go to a local saddler. I have an old Barretts one but its the wrong colour/size for my currrent horses bridle so I can take it to him and try and get one made

Dannylandrover

Visit site
His name was George and he worked upstairs in the loft, but as far as i know he retired before they closed. I used to work in the saddlery dept and those browbands were popular, if i see anything similar around i will let you know.

applecart14

Visit site
OMG, there's a blast from my past. I always used to go in there when shopping in Solihull (and invariably buy something!). Sorry, no help with your query though.

Me too! It was quite a treat to go in there and buy something, although it was invariably something cheap like a hoof prick or body brush! I saw the advert for my trailer in the Solihull store, the same trailer I have now, this was in 1997! It so happened the girl whose trailer it was, was just putting the ad on the board when Mum and I walked in. She worked there and the trailer was only about 6 months old! We got a bargain.