Barrie Swain / Saddle company / any other saddles????

imogen345

Visit site
My ex racer currently has an Ideal event saddle, I love it and thought the fit was perfect, but the chiropractor said it was a little too long on her back (think it's 17.5, maybe 18") and she will not build up much muscle just behind her withers as it is a bit tight there, but is a good enough fit to continue riding in...

I am now looking at new saddles, as the Ideal belongs to my arabian mare anyway, but the cheaper I can get the better right now.

Found a lot of saddle company saddles that I can easily get a lady to adjust and fit, but also hear the Barrie Swain get better reviews... Struggling to find a Barrie Swain as cheap as Saddle Company saddles second hand, in good condition and 16.5-17" though :/

Anyone got any other recommendations or further feedback on if you have either one of the saddles mentioned? Thanks

kaiserchief

Visit site
I've had a few Saddle Company saddles and really liked them but you need to get a decent fitter who will not fit to atrophy but in such a way that you can pad up to allow the muscle to build. Natalie Folland is great if you're not too far from Gloucestershire.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like my SC saddle which was bought to fit a Clydie mare, then altered to fit IDx. I am considering having it altered again but think that current mare is probably too wide.

Bluejazz

Visit site
I have been through just above every saddle in the market and then bought a Barrie swain semi flex and my horse changed overnight for being stuffy and not willing to work to going beautifully and so willing. They aren't cheap, but when you add all the hours an effort they are worth the investment. I wouldn't ride I anything else now. Had mine 6months and horse still loves it.
You could try contacting Kay Humphrey at norton and newby. She used to get Barrie to make saddles for her with flex trees. They have been doing it for a long time so might have something second hand to fit your budget. Even on the older saddles the trees can be adjusted. After riding in mine for 3 months the horse put on so much muscle the saddle needed widened from a mw to a wide.