Basic ASSISTED DIY LIVERY - what do you pay

Da5912

Visit site
So for example we will offer;

Basic ASSISTED DIY LIVERY
Inclusive of; use of facilities including stable. AM Feed given (feed provided by owner) & morning turnout.

- This is on a yard with outdoor school, timber stables, great off road hacking on doorstep.
Not an overly fancy yard but peaceful and enough of the basic facilities with ample grazing.

Just curious what others yards charge or what you pay yourself for exactly those services PCM.
And what part of the country you are..

Thank you x

Sail_away

Visit site
I paid 380 a month for those facilities but feed and bedding was included. So minus shavings, overnight hay and basic hard feed it was probably about 300. They changed rugs too before turning out. It was fairly expensive for what it was, but it was close to London and half the price of some others nearby.
Yard I’m on now is 220 for pure diy, but 280 with morning turnout. It’s a bit further out but still near London so that puts the price up. It’s not posh but they have good facilities and huge fields.
For both of those though I pay to be close to London, I would expect to pay less further out.

chocolategirl

Visit site
So for example we will offer;

Basic ASSISTED DIY LIVERY
Inclusive of; use of facilities including stable. AM Feed given (feed provided by owner) & morning turnout.

- This is on a yard with outdoor school, timber stables, great off road hacking on doorstep.
Not an overly fancy yard but peaceful and enough of the basic facilities with ample grazing.

Just curious what others yards charge or what you pay yourself for exactly those services PCM.
And what part of the country you are..

Thank you x
Whatever you charge, the chances are it won’t be enough for you to make a profit, particularly if you’re having to pay rent on the premises? livery, and especially DIY, is notoriously under priced. The only ones who are making anything at all are ones like me, who already own the property, and make their own hay etc?‍♀️ This is why so many don’t maintain yards properly, overcrowd, don’t bother with insurance and generally just cut corners?‍♀️ Preparing to be shot down, but no doubt it’ll not be by fellow YO’s ?

Myloubylou

Visit site
Works out to be £45 a week but includes rug change, fly mask/muzzle on. Worth it for the fuel cost and my time. Weekends are DIY. Am in the midlands

dorsetladette

Visit site
£40 pw in Dorset - I think that’s expensive personally but the yard is very convenient

I think that's pretty reasonable if you get services and use of a school included in that too. My field rent doesn't work out much cheaper than that and I do everything myself.

Just goes to show one persons thoughts are so different to another in terms of value for money. Even in the same part of the country.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I think that's pretty reasonable if you get services and use of a school included in that too. My field rent doesn't work out much cheaper than that and I do everything myself.

Just goes to show one persons thoughts are so different to another in terms of value for money. Even in the same part of the country.
Agree! I thought it was cheap personally ?

FNC

Visit site

Yes indeed - just comparing it to other yards within the local area but I admit I haven’t looked further afield. Rarely any spaces free so other must think it reasonable too !

Floofball

Visit site
The last diy yard I was on was £28 per week for stable, plenty storage space, own field and use of large floodlit arena. Morning attention (feed, turnout) ranged from £1 to £2.50 a day depending on what was required. So total for a 7 day week would be £35 - £45.50. North West

Just remembered that included trailer parking as well!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't think you can have a basic price for assisted livery, there are so many variables. Some liveries need far more assistance that others. Some need turnout occasionally, some need turnout & bring in every day. Some need the occasional; muck out as well so the price has to be flexible.

AFB

Visit site
I pay £35 pw (to inc. winter haylage) and services on top, for AM feed & TO it would be £2.50 pday

chaps89

Visit site
Yard 1 includes 1 t/o Or b/I 7 days a week and is £270pcm
Yard 2 same as above but also includes hay £320
Yard 3 same as above but also includes basic feed and 4 bags of pellets a month and is £330 (from memory)
Yard 4 £175 basic DIY then add on a b/I Or t/o at £1.50 a time
Yard 5 b/I and t/o mon-fri £335

All east berks/south bucks, so commutable to/from London, all have turnout and at least 1 school and some hacking.
As you can see all yards offer something different but all are 'assisted' DIY, so you need to work out what works for you and your set up.
Prices will vary by location so what someone pays in Yorkshire won't really help you.
As you can see prices also vary within a location - I'd say all the yards above are within maybe 10 miles of each other tops, yet yard 3 is cheap for what you get, yard 5 more expensive by comparison.

Out of interest which side of London are you?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We don’t have any services and it’s £175 Pcm in West Sussex.

I’m not sure of your reasoning about including feeding and morning turn out in a basic price as many DIYers will come up to ride and or muck out in the morning in any case and would be able to turn out themselves.

I’d expect to pay around another £40 - 60 pcm on top for the specified services. But I’d rather only pay for them when I need them and generally would prefer to pay for bring in rather than turn out as it is stressful if you think your horse may be left out alone or get stressed especially in winter.

chaps89

Visit site
I’m not sure of your reasoning about including feeding and morning turn out in a basic price as many DIYers will come up to ride and or muck out in the morning in any case and would be able to turn out themselves.

Around here it's very common for assisted DIY to be offered - it's usually morning feed and turnout. I'm a morning person so prefer a bring in/evening assistance but the last few yards I've been on I've been the minority, most owners seem to come up in the evening or after the school run.
So I'd hazard a guess here at least it's demand, but also from a YO perspective, most seem to be mostly part/full livery, with the odd few assisted DIY so if you have them all on the same routine one end of the day it makes it easier, no risk of DIYer not turning up till late morning etc.

Personally I like the flexibility of choosing what end of the day I have assistance and if I need assistance, some yards I've looked at can accommodate this, others can't and that's fine, their yard, their way of running it and I can decide if what they offer suits or not :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm NW Surrey, I'd be charging *£45pw for DIY with morning feed popped in and then horse turned out. In summer the cost wouldnt change but I'd bring in, in the morning and give a feed.
However, I have no arena. But, have direct access onto hacking and fields good to use all year round for turnout.

*academic as I no longer have permanent liveries but provide temporary accommodation short term only.

Lacuna

Visit site
I'm assisted DIY in Oxfordshire - £120 pm rent for paddock and stable/shed. Charges on top for £10 for day of care and £5 for turnout/bring in with haynets slung in and rug changed if needed.

Bay TB

Visit site
I pay £50 per week (£215 per month) for pretty much what you have described but with hay and bedding included.
YO gives feed and turns out in the week (or brings in at the weekend if we've been up in the morning to ride). I do all the rest so just have to go up once a day rather than twice.
Similar in summer, YO brings in for a few hours in week, I turn out after work/riding.

SaddlepadHoarder

Visit site
We pay about £47 a week for just DIY in Dorset and tbh I think it's overpriced as the yard is now very overcrowded due to expansion. But it highly depends on the area and other yard prices near you.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
£40 pw in Dorset - I think that’s expensive personally but the yard is very convenient

I’m stunned you think this is expensive, I don’t think there’s much around here for less than that apart from field renting with no or few facilities.

Just goes to show the regional differences and expectations.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I keep mine at home, but am astonished when people say their livery is expensive if the facilities are great. My home arena is very small and a bit uneven, so as my horse is only just starting on a fittening programme, we have to hire better arenas. For 3 schooling outings this last week, I have spent £60 on arena hire alone!

A good hacking spot and great arenas would add £££££ to the value of livery to me, as well as the great turnout.

Last year I even considered going onto 'grass livery' somewhere even if my horse never actually went into a field, as it would make arena hire cheaper! A nice ride out afterwards would be the icing on the cake.