Basic carriage driving question

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
How easy is it to get in the front of a four wheel carriage for someone who is not lithe and athletic?

I want to try carriage driving, but there's no point if I have no hope of getting in it. ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
they usually have a little footstep and with my weight the whole thing then lowers towards me ;)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is quite high up and I struggle, I can get my foot on the little step, but getting the rest of me up and in is hard going! I have a little box I use. I park it next to the carriage and use it to get in. Bobbie is 14.1hh and the step is above the wheel so you can gauge how high it is. I can do it and as Ester says the suspension tips it down but I prefer to use my box as its much easier!

56857748_10156441643338667_241573970321604608_n.jpg

My friend has a 16.2hh and the carriage for him is big! I can get in that one fine as its a different shape. She has mobility issues and cant bend one ankle so she has something made of pallets into a series of small steps, that just allows her to step in.

66165608_10214596504651078_1604336491700420608_n.jpg

When he was away being broken she used a plastic mounting block. It means we have to be careful to always have an able bodied backstep as if there was an emergency we would struggle to get her back in, and possibly out. But you cant drive alone anyway, so its not an issue.

65997085_10214571047214658_45021599543328768_n.jpg

My friend is in a wheelchair and shes out competing in indoor driving trials in an adapted carriage. She also always has an able bodied backstep and a carefully chosen pony but shes holding her own against everyone!

If you dont need a competition vehicle then there is at least one manufacturer who does easy entry carriages, which have a much lower floor so you can step in and out. Even if you do there are ways round it.

Dont let any mobilty issues stop you giving it a go. Quite a lot of drivers come to it after they get injured or unwell and cant cope with the demands of riding anymore so its something that people are used to :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I learnt to drive when I could only walk well hop on crutches the horse (who was the most lovely warm blood ) would stand while they got me on using a plastic mounting block
At first I walked up the ramp of my lorry my able assistants would pull the carriage up the living door ( with the steps up ) and I would step in they then moved it away and put the horse too .
There will be a way the most important thing is the right horse .

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm sure that a well trained horse makes all the difference. :) It's good to know that it's not a stupid idea.

I've found someone reasonably near me who does driving and they have shetlands. I'll contact them and see if they'd be happy to teach me. If I can't get in a small carriage for shetlands there's no hope! ;)

Tarragon

Visit site
I bought my Benington carriage from an elderly couple who were giving up driving due to their advancing years and they had had extra steps put on when they found that getting in and out was getting difficult. As it is the only carriage I have owned I have no idea which steps are the extra ones but it is interesting that it is possible.

Rosemary28

Visit site
Mounting block/small step was going to be my suggestion too. Depends how big the carriage is - my little two wheeler I can just step in! It was perfect for pony's previous owner who really couldn't bend his legs much. When we went out in the 4 wheeler, he used a step/mounting block/old beer crate/whatever was sturdy and available!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
When I was driving, I had a light weight 3 step ladder on a rope, so once I was on I pulled rope and steps sat next to me, if I had to get off lower ladder down, and get off. But I did always have someone with me

Borderreiver

Visit site
Driving is great fun and there are all kinds of carriages so something like a fun bug would be easy to access. I'm 65 and drive my 14 hh Highland to a Bennington Overlander. The step is quite high but I don't find it difficult, a bit like mounting to ride, your muscles learn how to do it. We generally drive off road and I'm usually alone which is frowned upon but it's a calculated risk and I might be dead tomorrow so in the meantime we have fun.
Reiver plus carriage.jpg

Talism4n

Visit site
If you don’t want to compete, you could also look into different types of carriage/trap. I have a small exercise cart for a 12.2hh where the step is level with the wheel. You might find it harder to manoeuvre onto the horse, but it’s light enough and low enough that I’ve had elderly relatives help put to and board it with no issues.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
At the moment I just want to try it and see if I like it or not. I didn't want to turn up to a lesson and not be able to get in the carriage as it would be slightly (understatement LOL) embarrassing. *blushes*

Baroque

Visit site
I'd be another to recommend the Bennington Funbug for ease of entry, should the driving bug bite when you try it. It really is a Marmite sport, you'll either love it or hate it. You don't find too many folk who don't feel strongly about it! I hope you LOVE it and find a comfy vehicle😃

scruffyponies

Visit site
Even if your horse is the most bomb proof imaginable, there will always be a time when you need to be able to jump down and up quickly.
I would advise looking at two wheel vehicles with easier access. The modern 4 wheelers aren't great to get in and out of, even when the horse is stood still in an ideal situation... much worse if he's not standing well, you're about to jack-knife, and the only step is on the (moving) wheel hub.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It might be useful to know that driving is also a very different feeling to being on the back (that put me off quite quickly until I got more used to it ;) ) and with a well trained pony to me it soon hasn't felt that much different to riding.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Faracat, although the fun bug doesn’t suit everyone, that and the Hillam version of the same thing (and Hillam’s two wheelers) are very easy access.

If you decide to go for the more traditional two wheeler, or a 4 wheel ‘standard’ type, as has been said- plenty of us use boxes and steps, as I did with a cast on...! You’ll have a groom at the front anyway for horse holding so shouldn’t be an issue there.

I spent almost two years climbing up the reins and trying to sit on the pony’s bum... some people take longer than others to get used to it!

And if all else fails, buy a small pony- the carriages are much easier to get on 😂

Attachments

• 96119496-9E79-48B3-A08A-A795E8168CDE.jpeg
    96119496-9E79-48B3-A08A-A795E8168CDE.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 10

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
How easy is it to get in the front of a four wheel carriage for someone who is not lithe and athletic?

I want to try carriage driving, but there's no point if I have no hope of getting in it. ;)
Depends on the carriage really, mine is a benigton but 2 wheel one and as wheels are further forward than the Robinson one it is harder to get in as a pasenger while moving. You could get an extra stp put in.

rara007

Visit site
Enjoy :D

If you’re near us at all I’m always keen for help :) We pick up a very frail neighbour to take her out with a mountain of blocks and ramps to get her on! It won’t be an issue with some thought :)

Annagain

Visit site
This thread reminds me of the time I climbed on to a steam tractor at the Newbury Show (with a large audience) last summer. I'm 5'6" but have a long body and short legs. My 6' husband and my very athletic friend who's about 5'8" struggled to reach the step so I knew I would really find it hard. I managed it but ripped my jeans in the process. I had to walk round all day wih my hoody tied round my waist! The guy said I was by far the best driver though and asked if I towed trailers as I had the mindset of a driver who did, as I steered, waited for the reaction and adjusted accordingly. OH (a traffic cop) was not impressed :D