basic equipment for first horse

kitofkat19

Visit site
Hey everyone,

Im a new equestrian that have only had a few months of riding lesson behind me from last year (stopped during winter due to the time of lessons and lockdown this year as also stoped me) i go to my friend's yard with her to help out with her horse and such. I still have a lot to learn but I would love to have my own horse one day.

What is some of the basic equipment you need for your first horse (including possibly tack for ridding)? Thank you

Tarragon

Visit site
From a rider's point of view, i think it is worth investing in the following. It would be too difficult to list what you need for your first horse as it depends on what comes with the horse and where you keep it and how you keep it and all sorts of stuff! In reality, we could all probably do with a lot less than we have! ;)
  • comfy riding trousers and a pair of riding boots
  • Obviously a riding hat that meets all the safety standards
  • a pair of riding gloves
  • Hi-Vis (I like a gilet that can be put over other things, instead of a Hi-Vis coat)
  • Waterproof coat (doesn't have to be expensive equestrian one)

Sleipnir

Visit site
From a horseowners' point of view, I only had a halter/lead, some brushes and a feed bucket, back when I got my first lad.

From a riders' point of view, I agree to Tarragon. :)

Fjord

Visit site
You don't need everything that is marketed at you. ;) If you are stabling your horse at all and on DIY then you need some basic mucking out tools and a wheelbarrow. B&Q wheelbarrows are much cheaper than equestrian ones. A basic grooming kit and comfy clothes as already said.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Basic first aid kit - for horse and rider.
With hibiscrub or triscrub and sudocrem. And spare vetwrap.
Hoofpicks - I like the one with a brush, I have three (there are more around here somewhere) so that I always have one handy when I need it.

A bumbag - absolutely brilliant idea so I always have a large pocket for a phone, horse treats, a spare hoof pick (see above), tissues (bird poo emergencies) and a very basic first aid kit for hacking or leading to and from the field on hot days when I don't have pockets.

katastrophykat

Visit site
A telephone with the vet as speed dial #1 ?

the basics- tools for mucking out if at DIY livery, warm gloves and boots for winter, turnout rugs (dual purpose so no need for stable rugs), a cooler rug, saddle, bridle and grooming kit.
That’s pretty much what I started with.

I don’t know what went wrong from there. ???

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Hoofpicks - I like the one with a brush, I have three (there are more around here somewhere) so that I always have one handy when I need it.

I agree extra hoofpicks are always handy! I keep a folding one on my keys so it's to hand on hacks.
A penknife/swiss army knife is a handy thing to have, particularly when it comes to cutting baler twine (usually to fix a fence!).
Decent waterproofs. Ideally two sets, so you don't have to put the still damp coat from the morning back on in the evening.

Henry02

Visit site
For a first time horse owner I’d say:

2 x headcollar and lead ropes
Bit, bridle and reins
Saddle cloth x2 or 3
Girth
LW, MW and possibly HW turnout rugs. (Always have at least two in case one rips/breaks. I’m in the south and my horse doesn’t need a HW.)
If your on full livery and YO wants to change rugs, a LW and MW stable rug. Grooming kit, body brush, dandy brush, rubber curry comb, metal curry comb, hoof pick and main/tail brush.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A lot of things need to be fitted to the horse so it's best to buy them once you have a horse. Other things are more flexible and would suit any horse/pony.

So before I bought my mare I had all my riding clothes and safety equipment as I used those during my riding lessons anyway. In preparation for buying a horse I got grooming equipment, a first aid kit, buckets and a haynet. I also bought a mesh hi-viz exercise rug as I knew the rough size of horse that I wanted and that was a more flexible item size wise. I did get a (very adjustable which was great because she has a tiny head for her size) headcollar and a leadrope too.

All the turnout rugs, stable rugs, saddle, bridle, horse boots etc... were bought once I had her.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Im a new equestrian that have only had a few months of riding lesson behind me from last year (stopped during winter due to the time of lessons and lockdown this year as also stoped me) i go to my friend's yard with her to help out with her horse and such. I still have a lot to learn but I would love to have my own horse one day.

What is some of the basic equipment you need for your first horse (including possibly tack for ridding)? Thank you

Having that friend that you help out is probably going to be your most helpful resource...

Other than that, I think that having a multitool (Leatherman or similar) on your belt is always useful for fixing bits of tack, pulling a reluctant strap through a rusty buckle, cutting baling twine or wire fence, slicing a cake or opening a bottle of beer in the club house, pulling blocks of ice from your horse's hooves when riding on wet sand in the depths of winter...

Grooming kit, feed buckets... and a shedload of money should do it.