Basic Horse First Aid

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Anyone know of any courses or any information about basic first aid for horses?

I know some things, but not had to deal with a lot (thankfully - *touch wood*).

I'm based in Kent if that helps, or happy to do something online.

:)

Nasicus

Visit site
A lot of horse care manuals have decent sections on first aid, and there's a plethora of books on the subject (which is handy as you can keep the book at the yard for ease of reference!).
First Aid for my Horse by Anke Rusbuldt is one I have, and First Aid for Horses by Karen Coumbe.

Amazon is usually pretty good for picking up second hand books for cheap, and charity shops are usually a good bet if/when it's safe to do so. Some random stores can be pretty good too, my go-to place for horse books is Trago Mills, I've picked up soooo many horse books there dirt cheap.

Carrottom

Visit site
Our equine vet hospital did some evening talks for their clients a few years ago which were really interesting.
The local riding club also did some talks, if you are a brc member maybe speak to your committee.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
When my husband first started looking after the horses while I was working away I bought him a little book called The Complete Equine Emergency Bible. It’s a good reference for basic care with lots of photos and helps decide whether to call the vet. I now keep it in the office of the yard for my liveries. It also has a human first aid section and emergency repair section.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thanks all. Ooo Karen Coumbe is a vet at my vets... how funny. Will possibly have a look for a book I can keep with my first aid kit :)

Nasicus

Visit site
Thanks all. Ooo Karen Coumbe is a vet at my vets... how funny. Will possibly have a look for a book I can keep with my first aid kit :)
It's a good book, see if you can't convince her to write an updated version haha, the existing one is 20 years old! Some very detailed photos in there, so maybe not best read whilst eating your dinner!

Littlebear

Visit site
I can do you a HHO guide for you to save if you like? We can all add to it and you can practice bits at a time like poulticing, bandaging and taking temperature etc

Otherwise at the mo you might struggle for a course although they were fairly common pre lockdown.

Horse side vet guide is quite a nifty app for about a fiver.