Basing your horse with a professional

kassieg

Visit site
Has anyone done this?
I need the ins & outs explaining:
costs (obviously they differ but as an idea)
Do they stay there all the time
How do you choose
Do you stick to local riders

Am having a major life dilemma at the moment so it's something I'm considering but I have 0 clue about it to know if it's even an option really so any info would be great ?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1596310273372.jpg
    FB_IMG_1596310273372.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 21

ihatework

Visit site
Yes I do.

You generally get charged a weekly fee that covers all routine care and riding. Most include their time competing in that too.

The rest varies although in general the bigger the name and more established the rider - the less flexible they will be in accommodating owners ‘wishes’ - they have a tried and tested system that your horse will fit into. You will get minimal say in training, feeding, rugging and other management issues. If this is a problem for you, then a smaller known rider /less established yard may be more appropriate.

Extra charges to ask about:
Clipping/consumables/washing etc
Transport
Gallop/facility hire fees
Training fees (ie their lessons)
Sales %
Prizes/winnings - who gets what?

Other things to ask depending on what is important to you:
Can you go and watch your horse train routinely (by appointment or can you just rock up),
Are they happy for you to ride your horse too?
Do you get consulted on which competitions they get entered in?
Do you have a say in whether the horse starts / does all 3 phases / goes for the time?
Do you give approval for vet/physio work etc

Ultimately I’d say you need to find someone you respect as a person and a rider, someone who is honest and a good communicator, someone who understands what you as an owner wants/needs out of the deal. I’d stay reasonably local if you can.

Also they don’t necessarily have to stay there all the time - it’s common for owners to take horses back for a holiday, or if the rider is away for a big international etc. But they do generally like to have the horse there consistently during the season if they are to be able to get the best from them

kassieg

Visit site
Yes I do.

You generally get charged a weekly fee that covers all routine care and riding. Most include their time competing in that too.

The rest varies although in general the bigger the name and more established the rider - the less flexible they will be in accommodating owners ‘wishes’ - they have a tried and tested system that your horse will fit into. You will get minimal say in training, feeding, rugging and other management issues. If this is a problem for you, then a smaller known rider /less established yard may be more appropriate.

Transport
Sales %

Can you go and watch your horse train routinely (by appointment or can you just rock up),
Do you have a say in whether the horse starts / does all 3 phases / goes for the time?

Ultimately I’d say you need to find someone you respect as a person and a rider, someone who is honest and a good communicator, someone who understands what you as an owner wants/needs out of the deal. I’d stay reasonably local if you can.

Also they don’t necessarily have to stay there all the time - it’s common for owners to take horses back for a holiday, or if the rider is away for a big international etc. But they do generally like to have the horse there consistently during the season if they are to be able to get the best from them
Yes I do.

Transport
Sales %

Thank you that's really helpful, can I be cheeky & ask what price range you pay in? Not exact but just between x & y a week or whatever. I genuinely have no clue & my head is flinging random numbers at me ?
I certainly wouldn't be aiming for 5* eventer that's for sure. It's more someone I trust that wants the same future for her ? that's not a major wimp (unlike me)
Do you bring yours home at any point or do they stay there the whole time?

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you that's really helpful, can I be cheeky & ask what price range you pay in? Not exact but just between x & y a week or whatever. I genuinely have no clue & my head is flinging random numbers at me ?
I certainly wouldn't be aiming for 5* eventer that's for sure. It's more someone I trust that wants the same future for her ? that's not a major wimp (unlike me)

You are generally talking £25-35 per day for an eventer. I live in Eventing central and within that price range I would have access to a number of 5* eventers - some I would send a horse to and some I most definitely wouldn’t.

Ive generally taken mine away for field holidays

abbijay

Visit site
I don't but a friend does with an eventer at Somerford. She has said that her horse there costs her around £1200pm including competing BE. Couldn't give you a breakdown behind that figure as that's only what she's told me anecdotally.