Bates, Wintec or Collegiate?

nicnag

Visit site
Can some of you kind people shed some light for me?
New horse has come with a wintec saddle, fits him well but I detest it! It constantly squeaks and I hate to admit but I've become a saddle snob!
So, as the tree seems to suit him and the actual saddle itself doesn't offend me as far as my position etc is in it, I'm wondering whether I could replace it with a Bates or Collegiate saddle as I believe they are made by the same company?
Obviously will get it checked by a saddler but have just had the wintec checked and she says it suits his funny shape so basics seem to be there!
Opinions?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I'm not a saddle expert by a long shot - but I recently tried Wintec, Collegiate and a friend has Bates. My friend is a saddle snob (tee hee) and went from Wintec Isabella dressage to WOW and then on to Bates - and she and the horse both really like the Bates. Even the instructor really likes the Bates.

When I was saddle shopping for a dressage saddle, I tried her Wintec on her horse and the same model in my horse's size and didn't like the feel of it...it's not that I don't like synthetic cos I don't mind. But it was that it did squeak that bothered, me too. The Collegiate didn't fit me or my horse, but the saddle sat in my kitchen for about 3 weeks and I did think it looked a decent enough saddle.

I think if I had a choice of the three, based on finish and feel, I'd go with the Bates. If I could have found a Bates to suit my horse's shape, I'd probably have bought one!

Damnation

Visit site
My mare is a saddle snob. She hates Wintecs and Collegiates. I have never tried her in a Bates but the stallion I ride has a Bates Dressage Saddle and I love it
laugh.gif

peanut

Visit site
I can't believe you saddle snobs lol
grin.gif
My friend has reached PSG in a second hand Wintec Isabella
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

Queenbee

Visit site
I rode in a wintec for years (until recently when my horse decided to change shape!) a few years ago i rode in a friends bates and I thought it was lovely to ride in and looked the part too, so can personally reccomend that one. haven't tried the other one though.

jumptoit

Visit site
I have all Bates for my horses but just the GPs which are fantastic imo, they are very well made and one I have had for over 5 years and it is still in great condition - so much so I struggle to tell the difference between that and my 2 year old one!

Scarlett

Visit site
I had a Collegiate GP and it was a great saddle, lovely quality and very, very comfortable. Only got rid as I now have TB's and no matter what gullet it had it it didnt fit any of them.

Would definately recommend one as an alternative to the Bates saddles, my friend had a Bates at the same time I had the Collegiate and there was very little difference between them.