Bateson trailer - Ascot or Deauville?

Broodle

Visit site
I've only ever had ifor williams trailers before, but am currently seriously considering a new bateson. I'm really torn between the two models - is the Ascot worth the extra £600 odd? The tack locker looks very useful, but is it actually that much better than the covered saddle rack in the deauville? I'm really stretching the budget with the deauville as it is...

Experiences and opinions very welcome!

Horse is only 15hh and will mostly only be travelling him, so space and payload not an issue :)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I've got a Deauville and if I really really didn't want to deal with tack in the car I'd get the Ascot instead. I took out the covered saddle rack as it just seemed like something else to get knocked around and potentially injure my horse. It also takes up a fair bit of the nose space which can make it a tighter turn when getting horses out of the right hand side and down the ramp.

If you don't mind tack in the car then get the Deauville, otherwise get the Ascot. And always with the back doors rather than ramp, they're fab and I wouldn't be without them!

Broodle

Visit site
I've got a Deauville and if I really really didn't want to deal with tack in the car I'd get the Ascot instead. I took out the covered saddle rack as it just seemed like something else to get knocked around and potentially injure my horse. It also takes up a fair bit of the nose space which can make it a tighter turn when getting horses out of the right hand side and down the ramp.

If you don't mind tack in the car then get the Deauville, otherwise get the Ascot. And always with the back doors rather than ramp, they're fab and I wouldn't be without them!

Really helpful, thank you!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have an Ascot. I don't really use the tack locker for tack, I have that in the car. I have buckets, sponges, scrapers, spare brushes etc in the locker.

I'm not sure if the Ascot is bigger, I'd always go for the bigger trailer. I've had mine 16 years, and I've never regretted it being so big!

Broodle

Visit site
I have an Ascot. I don't really use the tack locker for tack, I have that in the car. I have buckets, sponges, scrapers, spare brushes etc in the locker.

I'm not sure if the Ascot is bigger, I'd always go for the bigger trailer. I've had mine 16 years, and I've never regretted it being so big!

Thanks very much for your comments, much appreciated.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im now on my second Ascot and love it. I do put tack in the tack locker (but also in the car sometimes, just depends - generally I put it in the car if Im packing the night before an event just because I feel its safer in there overnight as I dont lock the tack locker). Ive never used a Deauville but they do look shorter in front. I like the locker I can put things on top of it as well. Its spacious, Ive had a 17.1hh WB in it before with no problems. Not sure if its bigger than the Deauville. I love mine.

texas

Visit site
Just on a general note, I have a 20 year old Deauville and any time I've lost a pin, needed a new mud guard due to an incident with a gate post or anything else, they've been very helpful and posted things out to me quickly!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Just on a general note, I have a 20 year old Deauville and any time I've lost a pin, needed a new mud guard due to an incident with a gate post or anything else, they've been very helpful and posted things out to me quickly!

Oh yes, Bateson customer service is exceptional. Anything I've needed has almost always arrived next day.

Kat

Visit site
I have a fairly old Deauville (bought from someone on here) and will say firstly that I love it, it is great, and secondly that yes Bateson customer service is brilliant.

Not sure about the ascot but I do like the saddle rack, it saves so much space in your vehicle and I miss it if we go out in my friends Ifor.

Jola

Visit site
I’ve got the deauville. Never use the saddle rack. I have the barn doors and the horses always seem to prefer stepping up into the trailer.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I had an Ascot till recently (just switched to lorry). Loved the trailer. After using an ifor too, I believe the Bateson trailers are massively superior in how they tow and the ride they give. Never used the tack box for tack. We used to put the poo bucket in it! Although I did find the top of the tack box a useful shelf when tacking up etc. Had a Deauville before and liked that too.

Would 2nd the barn doors as preferable. I liked them when towing in heavy traffic or motorways as they come up much higher behind the horse and feel more secure. Certainly my noise sensitive mare never reacted to anything behind her.

Bateson service is superb. I had an old 2003 model which we revamped and Bateson advised and supplied new floor, decals and other bits and pieces direct for fitting by us. Just sold my trailer for more than I bought it for after refurbbing even though it was ancient, as the build quality is solid safe and long wearing.

Love our old lorry but would have another Bateson in a heartbeat if going back to a trailer.