Bateson trailer owners - breech bar falling off?!

diddy

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have a Bateson Derby, which we bought new last year & we've been very pleased with it. However, a couple of weeks ago, one of the brackets supporting the breech bar came off (& the breech bar itself obviously fell off in the process - alarming when I opened the back door up to be confronted my pony's rear & nothing else!)

I took trailer into Batesons & they fixed it for me. And said I must have had the bar too low & the horse sat on it, thereby breaking it.

However, took him out this weekend, with the breech bar on the lowest setting as recommended by them. And the ruddy thing has fallen off again.

My lovely pony is a big of a thug I'll admit - he will lean on things & break them just for fun. However, surely the breech bar in a trailer should be designed to withstand a 14.2 pony leaning on it..?!

Anyone else had this problem & if so, what did you do to stop it happening?? Obviously, I'm worried that without the breech bar there's nothing stopping him from leaning on the back door & potentially breaking that too, which is much more scary!

Thanks all!

D. x

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I would be going back and giving them hell about it breaking after they had fixed it.

I had my Horse sit on a breach bar and bend it but the brackets holding it to the wall haven't shifted and my trailer (ifor 505) is way older than yours.

Go back and insist its fixed properly

texas

Visit site
Excuse me for being confused.

First, you say that you were told it was too low and the horse sat on it.
Then you say that you were told to put it on the lowest setting.

Surely if it was too low the first time, you'd need it higher?

diddy

Visit site
Surely if it was too low the first time, you'd need it higher?

Thanks guys. Yes, Texas - just repeating what was said to me but you're quite right it makes no sense whatsoever :confused: I think basically they were just trying to blame my pony rather than the flimsiness of the trailer. So I should listen to you as well Black Beastie - I think I've been rather too laid back about it!

I guess I'm just surprised that no one else has had this happen to them. I've only just persuaded pony that the trailer isn't going to kill him, but now I'm really worried that he's right & the darn thing isn't safe at all!! I'll get on the phone to them this afternoon.

Thanks both :)

D. x

asmp

Visit site
I have a Bateson Deauville which I bought second hand. Recently one of the screws holding the Breech bar in place has fallen off and disappeared. I am having extreme problems finding a replacement - even the local Bateson dealer can't help me out. I will have to contact Bateson direct next. Yesterday, however, my horse went to an event in a friend's Bateson. He was tied up with the breech bar done up behind him. The ramp wasn't up as we were waiting for the other horse to be loaded when suddenly my horse came out backwards! He'd broken his lead rope and managed to limbo under the back bar. He's a 14.3 so not that small. Admittedly in my trailer he has the bar on the lower level and this one was on the higher one but it was still a few inches below the height of his bum.

Going back to above posts though, mine does sit on the bar when he's travelling but has yet to break it. As you bought it new I would insist that Bateson repair it for you. Obviously the screws aren't secure enough in the wall of the trailer.

pootleperkin

Visit site
Bateson have pretty good customer service - I would just speak to them again, it is a family run company and they do try their best. I had a floor issue in my Ascot (we replaced the floor with their parts and it didn't quite work out how it should) and they were excellent - collected the trailer and gave it a free service while it was in etc while both repairing the floor and putting some belt and braces metal work in for our peace of mind too.

I'm not sure what the breech bars look like in the Derby - mine is a basically a 1/2 width metal bar with a hook at one end which hooks on to the centre partition and the other end then has a 90 degree turn on it and slots down through a hole and is pinned in. The welds are pretty secure on the trailer sides. If you continue having problems, perhaps they would change it for this system for you? It does sounds as if you should raise the bar though to stop the pony sitting on it! I carry two 16.2hhs, one of which gives the trailer a going working over on occasion and it still holds together! In general, I think they are pretty robust.

Asmp, they will send the screw out for you no problem.

I'm not connected to the company btw (!) just that I think my Ascot is excellent for purpose - it is light and airy and horses like traveling in it. Considering it is now 10 years old, the work we have had to do on it should be expected.

picolenicole

Visit site
I have a Bateson Ascot we got it a few years ago now its about 12 years old, although looks brand new :D It's the best trailer ever, King loads without any question where as with other trailers we have to "talk" about it ;)

King sits on the breech bar and it's never moved, bent, come undone or come off and he really does sit/lean on it. I'm sure if you told Bateson you where worried/upset with the first repair they would sort it, they were brill with my OH when he rang asking about parts. (Some are rusty and he wants to replace them.)

texas

Visit site
I've had various parts off Batesons over the years - mud guard plus all screws, extra sets to put the breach bars in (sorry don't know the name), new hitch lock. All sent out very quickly for reasonable cost. Mine have also limbo'd under the back bar if not fitted low enough, and also had one go over one and get stuck under the opposite front bar, without anything breaking! That is a 1993 trailer. Could have done it breaking in that instance tbh. Definitely something not right if it breaks that easily though.

Capriole

Visit site
suddenly my horse came out backwards! He'd broken his lead rope and managed to limbo under the back bar. He's a 14.3 so not that small. .

Nightmare! Think it was this forum recently I read about one having done the same thing and needing PTS at the event as it had damaged it's back.

diddy

Visit site
Wrote a nice long reply & accidentally deleted it - grr! Batesons have said they will fix it (again) with Fatcobproof Screws so hopefully problem solved. Agree they are v nice people to deal with & trailer has up til now been fab, so don't be put off if you're thinking of getting one :)