Battery and Energiser - how do you stop them being stolen?

Delta99

Visit site
Using an energiser run off a car battery but some lovely people (NOT!) have nicked the battery twice now so I'm looking for some way to secure this.

Problem is I need the fence electrified, not to keep my horses in but to keep said lovely peoples' horses out as they are not being fed properly, living in mud and too many in the field! (yes, I know exactly who's taking the batteries but obviously have not been able to catch them in the act!)

Anyway, I could keep the energiser in the feedroom but am a bit worried about the fire risk as there is hay and straw in there as well.
Plus, am concerned that said lovely people would then break in to get to stuff!

Are there any locked boxes that can be ... I don't know, concreted in? Buried? Chained to the fence?

Any suggestions would be very welcome as this is really ticking me off!

Thanks

hollyandivy123

Visit site
ok sounds a bit weird...............you can get anti burgler paints which never dries from B'n'Q, either put this on the battery or put the battery on a box and cover the box with it.............then you would have one very slimey thief when they next try................please remember that you have painted it though!

Lakelandcross

Visit site
I bought some impact resistant plastic toolboxes from b&q. Put the battery and energiser inside and filled the rest of the space with bricks.

I drilled a hole through the side to pass the wires through. Then I took the switch from the energiser and put it through the side of the box so I could switch it (this doesn't need to be done because you can always disconnect the lead from the fence to isolate).

The toolbox catches have holes for padlocks so I lock it to a chain around a fence post.

Before doing this we had 2 stolen but none since. I probably doesn't make them thief proof but they make it a lot harder

touchstone

Visit site
My OH made a shelf high up in the stable which stands the energiser on and has a metal bar which goes across which then padlocks.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I have my energiser & battery locked in a steel ammunition box & this inturn has a couple of holes drilled in the bottom & I secure it to the ground through the holes with large ground screws....the type that you tie your dog to whilst camping. The box is pretty well securly locked to the ground. I did all this because I had one stolen a few years ago.

Last edited:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
sadly while scrap prices for batteries are so high it's very hard to defeat that type of thief....council put up CCTV camera near our old stables to stop them fly tipping and they stole the CCTV camera.....:-O

Agree with the indoor energiser or ground anchored box idea. Or alarmed box if anyone is near enough to hear it.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Forgot to add it might help postcoding everything too!

that might help but with this type of thief our local lot stole a livery yards rugs and then they were openly on their horses out tethered not 2 weeks later, they arent that bothered as if caught it was always their cousin....and police are very unwilling to pursue them.

But still a good thing to do, just dont rely on that alone.

CBFan

Visit site
Id agree... put it in a lockable box and move to a different location in the field. Away from where they are gaining access.

if they are gaining access over a gate - electrify that too (so long as you can still access field ok ;)

Lotty

Visit site
I'm on a DIY Yard and had my £200.00 Energiser stolen in December.....they left the battery, probably cause it was too heavy.

Since then another 6 energisers have been stolen and they left the batteries. I'll be watching this post with interest.

Delta99

Visit site
Wow, guess I 've done well, only losing 2 batteries in 5 years!
It's just so annoying, though, and we really should not have to spend all this extra money to secure stuff!
Looking into all the different suggestions now - really like the electrified box, that'll teach the ba..rds!!

mainpower

Visit site
My handy OH makes log burners out of old (calor) gas bottles and he adapted his design for me, cut hole in side to create hinged door, hole for ground spike and wires plus welded a metal spike to sink into ground.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We had one stolen too - and a huge tractor battery that was powering it, which was so heavy we had to drive it to where we wanted it in the discovery! We too know who stole it - or think we do - the blokes who rent the field next door were haymaking when it went, and the foorprints went over the fence, and through a draining ditch to their field - and therefore there tractor... Who else would carry a very heavy thing away from the road? Its really annoying, and we had a pony get laminitus as a consequence too, which nearly didn't make it.

Anyway, we got a second hand cast iron safe-type thing that we drilled through, and the whole lot go in there. Its very heavy, and we are thinking of concreteing it into the field!