BBC 1 breakfast PASSING HORSES 24/03/2016

Kaylum

Visit site
Hopefully people will also understand on road with white lines your not overtaking a horse unless you can safely pass onto the other side of the white line. Usually they do not bother which again should be in the highway code. Well done BHS.

chahala

Visit site
I have just got back from a hack and have to say that road users seemed unusually considerate today. It may be my imagination and it may be coincidence but I for one am not knocking it.

WeeLassie

Visit site
.' We own these animals and have a duty of care to them. Expecting them to walk along a road, where there is moving traffic and all the dangers this brings, exposes them to a huge amount of danger. Have we, got the right to do this?
Are you saying we shouldnt ride our horses outside, Sandy3924? A horse would get bored out of its mind only riding in an arena, and roadwork is necessary - even if you have bridlepaths in your area you have to get to them somehow.
And, Ffionwinnie, just because a horse spooks or rears at something scary (to him) that doesnt make him crazy, just a normal horse.

Annagain

Visit site
I have just got back from a hack and have to say that road users seemed unusually considerate today. It may be my imagination and it may be coincidence but I for one am not knocking it.

Excellent, maybe we should all make a point of noticing this weekend to see if it's made a difference!

Pebble101

Visit site
Some of the bridleways in our area lead out onto busy A Roads and have very poor exits. It's on my list to see if there is anything to do about them.

rachk89

Visit site
It's excellent that this subject is getting coverage. Hopefully people will take note.

Think it should have specified though that riders should be wearing hi vis as a lot of riders don't. Also showing them riding side by side should have been explained that this means the inside horse is young or green. We shouldn't ride side by side for any other reason.

_OC_

Visit site
The horse in their video was randomly rearing in front of a stationary bus. How do you justify that to road users, you can't!

May be....just may be they did this so that non horsey motorist public could understand what a horse is capable of doing when it's misbehaving on the roads for what every reason. sort of spells it out to them(Oh and just for a the record I have seen this happen it real life with my friends horse in front of a bus, and the driver bless him he turned of his engine and waited along with other motorists!!!!) .....just thought I would mention it as you said this is a forum!

PS-The horse in question is a very good on the roads .....would describe as 100%.....never has he before or since done this behaviour....very out of character!

stormox

Visit site
Also showing them riding side by side should have been explained that this means the inside horse is young or green. We shouldn't ride side by side for any other reason.
Actually, I think the quote in the Highway Code is "riders should not ride more than 2 abreast".... nothing about green horses only, and I think its safer to ride 2 abreast at times, it gives the driver more chance to see there are 2 of you, and means they have to slow, or pass wide rather than squeeze past.

rachk89

Visit site
Actually, I think the quote in the Highway Code is "riders should not ride more than 2 abreast".... nothing about green horses only, and I think its safer to ride 2 abreast at times, it gives the driver more chance to see there are 2 of you, and means they have to slow, or pass wide rather than squeeze past.

Yet someone else pointed out that the roads those horses were on were quite narrow. 2 horses side by side gives even less room to the motorist to get past so it's not surprising they sometimes arent leaving the width of a car.

Two horses side by side can take up to half a car lanes width so even if the road is a proper road they can only leave you a small amount of room. On narrow roads they will be squeezing past. Can't really have a go at someone if you won't ride in single file.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
B

I have to say, I hacked out this morning, and thought exactly the same thing. 99% of traffic passed wider and slower, it felt, than normal.

I agree about riding two abreast. It is legal, and it's good to make a more visible statement to slow traffic a bit, but I think it's rude and thoughtless on a rider's part to not drop into single file and let traffic past.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I went out this morning. Usual mix of lovely drivers & utter t**ts. One motorcyclist who overtook on a blind bend after me asking him not to, as I could see the car coming & he couldn't. Even 13hh up, I had a better view.

sport horse

Visit site
I think it is excellent that the BHS has launched this campaign.

NOW we should all launch a similar campaign to educate riders to thanks drivers who slow and give them space. I sat behind two numpties last week on their patent safety cobs. chatting as they walked along. I was unable to pass as the road was too narrow and they even walked past an entrance that they could have stopped in to let me go. 5 minutes is a long time in a car at walking pace and even then there was not a scrap of acknowledgement.

Come on everyone it is a two way thing.

npage123

Visit site
I think it is excellent that the BHS has launched this campaign.

NOW we should all launch a similar campaign to educate riders to thanks drivers who slow and give them space. I sat behind two numpties last week on their patent safety cobs. chatting as they walked along. I was unable to pass as the road was too narrow and they even walked past an entrance that they could have stopped in to let me go. 5 minutes is a long time in a car at walking pace and even then there was not a scrap of acknowledgement.

I recently posted on here (a different thread) about not being happy about not being thanked by horse riders if I slow down to a crawl, for their benefit. The majority of people responded that it's no big deal to not thank a driver after they have slowed down, and although they liked to get a thank you, they don't expect one.

I one the other hand feel that it's important to acknowledge those drivers who do slow down. The chances for them slowing down again the next time they meet horses on the road, will be far greater if they are met with polite riders every time. Despite the media's attempt to educate non-horsey people on the need to pass wide and slow, there's a lot of Joe Public out there who still haven't a clue of the horrible consequences of a horse and car colliding. So in my opinion, thank as many other road users as possible out there if you're hacking and keep them sweetened up towards horses.

I agree with you Sport Horse. It is a two way thing.

There's been loads of occasions where I've stopped completely and switched my car off until riders have passed a considerable distance - without getting so much as eye contact from any of the riders. That really does seem unfair - I've gone out of my way to make their use of the road as safe as possible for them, and they've chosen to be the stereotypical spoilt bratt on a horse who think they own the road.

Shantara

Visit site

Thoroughly agree!
I feel so bad if I can't thank someone (though I do try to nod/smile/vocally thank) or they miss my thank you! I find joggers and cyclists are terrible for this too! If I walk on the road, I will move off the road (if possible) and thank cars for not running me over/slowing down. I don't cycle, but if I did, I wouldn't let traffic build up behind me. My safety and theirs is way more important than whatever time I would be trying to beat.
Unless it is really not safe to do so, I will always move off the road when I ride, it is just common sense and manners! I don't WANT cars behind me and they don't WANT to be there either, so it makes sense to pull over and let them go. I have ridden with people who thinks it "teaches them patience" to make cars wait. No! Quite the opposite!

I'm so glad this has been on the news and there is a new campaign. I hope it will at least get through to some people, be they riders or drivers!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I agree that it is best not to ride two abreast unless it's necessary for young horses etc, but what about the cyclists who ride 3 or 4 abreast and in big groups often several groups and make no effort to let drivers past or thank drivers for waiting?
Also, I think countryfile should feature this campaign.

Equi

Visit site
I agree that it is best not to ride two abreast unless it's necessary for young horses etc, but what about the cyclists who ride 3 or 4 abreast and in big groups often several groups and make no effort to let drivers past or thank drivers for waiting?

I was in touch with them last week. They have no plans to run anything soon.

Shantara

Visit site

That really bothers me. I've seen hunts do it too! Completely holding up traffic, no signs of moving. Thankfully the one time I went and the couple I have watched have all been fabulous and moved instantly when a car came.

I have a HUGE issue with cyclists not riding on the cycle path near me and holding up traffic on a very VERY busy road. It is literally RIGHT THERE! I don't know why they don't use it, it's perfectly good! I see it almost daily.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have issues with cyclists "swarming" me. I have been surrounded with traffic coming the other way, cyclists in front, behind AND beside me, while my pony is deciding whether to go up like a lift or kill us.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I was in touch with them last week. They have no plans to run anything soon.

Maybe, if we all email countryfile, they will feature it. I've just done it. Email address on the website. Come on people! This forum has got things done before. People power and all that!

Equi

Visit site
Maybe, if we all email countryfile, they will feature it. I've just done it. Email address on the website. Come on people! This forum has got things done before. People power and all that!

They did one not that long ago and focused on the wild ponies and the hiviz paint. That's why they have no plans.

Do email though - as you say maybe if more people request it it will happen :)

Sandstone1

Visit site
They did one not that long ago and focused on the wild ponies and the hiviz paint. That's why they have no plans.

Do email though - as you say maybe if more people request it it will happen :)

Yes, I saw that, but this campaign by the Bhs is a bit different isn't it? More about educating motorists about how to pass horses and the possible consequences. It's worth a try isn't it?

Equi

Visit site
Yes, I saw that, but this campaign by the Bhs is a bit different isn't it? More about educating motorists about how to pass horses and the possible consequences. It's worth a try isn't it?

Definitely! I had requested one about roads and hand signals in particular but they felt it too close. It'll have to happen again - horses are a large part of the country too.

DipseyDeb

Visit site
Let's hope it educates some road users to pass wide and slow.....and let's hope it educates some riders to wear hi viz and be seen!

Interesting this should come up today, I drove behind 2 riders earlier and couldn't have passed if I'd wanted to, they were not only riding 2 abreast, but they were across the whole road, one on one side, one on the other, either side of the white line!! I honestly could have driven the car between them! We do tend to bang on about inconsiderate road users, but this really pi**** me off, it's riders like that who give others bad press!!