BBC 1 Inside Out at 7.30 !! WHW investigation

Polos Mum

Visit site
Incase we needed more evidence passports are pointless ....WHW investigation

"Tonight the results of our investigations will be revealed on the BBC 1's Inside Out programme (to be broadcast on terrestrial channels in the South and East at 7:30pm).

It will show that an unknown number of horses and ponies are leaving Britain’s shores under the pretence that they are for leisure or sport – but may in fact be sold for slaughter.

Our investigations have found that they are leaving our ports without any of the required checks on their welfare or their paperwork, so it is impossible to know whether the laws protecting them are being complied with.

These movements are not small or insignificant: over just one weekend of monitoring we saw more than 90 horse boxes – a number of which could carry more than 20 equines – leaving and entering the port of Dover.

Without physical and documentary checks these horses and ponies could be going anywhere, for any purpose, in any condition.

BellaBoyzie92

Visit site
I managed to watch, and was glad at the news of more stringent checks coming in May, but its the enforcing which needs improving. The horses being travelled are supposed to be checked if they are not sports horses yet in a whole weekend they reported not one horsebox was checked.
Its disgusting how these poor horses and ponies are travelled, just to be slaughtered. If the animals must be slaughtered I would much prefer it to be done in england and then the meat or carcasses travelled in chilled lorries. It would be so much more humane.
Thats just my opinion. It doesn't help either that people are breeding left, right and centre :(

Janesomerset

Visit site
Have made an extra donation (already support WHW, but this is heartbreaking news) and e-mailed DEFRA and our local MP, but I too wonder where these horses & ponies come from. Does anyone else remember a charity finding hundreds of horses and ponies in corrals in Ireland? I said to OH, I pray they are not being shipped off to foreign slaughterhouses. I have never read another word about that, so wonder if it was part of WHW investigations.