BBC Britain’s puppy boom: counting the cost

GSD Woman

Visit site
I read the article but figured the program would have me throwing things, like my new laptop.

We see a lot of shady practices in the US. A woman brought in a low rider bully bred thing that her uncle had paid $10,00. The goal is that the young woman would keep the dog until it came into heat and then take it to her uncle in Philly for him to breed it until she couldn't produce. The woman wanted to spay the bitch but was afraid of what would happen if her uncle found out.

We have an excellent repro clinic in the area and the good breeders use it. Some people collect their own dogs and then do their own AI. Always seemed kind of shady to me.

As far as cropping ears, it is hard to find vets who will do it. Most doberman breeders have a vet that does the cropping and the pups don't go home without their ears done. I don't like the practice. One of the vets at work still does declaws but won't do crops. Declawing bothers me so much that I make sure I'm in another part of the clinic when it happens. I think both practices are barbaric.

And I totally drifted off topic. Sort of sorry for that.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i watched it and the ear cropping really shocked me, i had assumed the dogs were imports not bred here and cropped. i think its done by the breeders not vets, which is even worse..

GSD Woman

Visit site
Ugh, I knew a young man who started breeding. He had an old fashioned vet come to his house and the ears were cropped on his kitchen table under ether.

I wish the parent clubs would change standards to allow undocked and uncropped dogs in the ring. Judges need to be educated to see past the ears and tail and judge the dogs on their merit.

MissTyc

Visit site
Is it worth trying to report a breeder (local, advertising on Facebook) who has dozens or more cropped ear pups available every year? Will they actually take action? I also thought such puppies were imported and that this woman was some sort of distributor, but a bit of Facebook digging has made me realise they're born down the road from me in a semi-detached bungalow. Who'd a thunk :( ... She advertised "all sizes bully from XS to XL" ... All cropped, and many deformed (dwarfism?).

Clodagh

Visit site
Is it worth trying to report a breeder (local, advertising on Facebook) who has dozens or more cropped ear pups available every year? Will they actually take action? I also thought such puppies were imported and that this woman was some sort of distributor, but a bit of Facebook digging has made me realise they're born down the road from me in a semi-detached bungalow. Who'd a thunk :( ... She advertised "all sizes bully from XS to XL" ... All cropped, and many deformed (dwarfism?).

Adorable Alice might help there.

smolmaus

Visit site
I have had adverts removed from gumtree clearly showing cropped ears but that is the extent of what they'll do. Then sellers just post them again with a badly cropped photo so you can't see the dogs ears. The people they're marketing to know the tricks as well.

I reported to the local dog warden as well but they admitted there would be very little chance they could do anything off an online advert and a vague postcode. If you have an address it might be worth trying.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Yes, please obtain as much information as you can and let the licensing officer have it. Intel officers have facilities to obtain addresses etc.

satinbaze

Visit site
Thank you for the link, I watched the programme last night. I think the vet presenter tried to give a balanced perspective on a couple of difficult subjects. Having had a litter via AI performed by a qualified repro vet I was horrified at the practices encouraged by the “trainer” on the course. In my experience a majority of reputable breeders using AI will only use a qualified repro vet. These “fertility “ clinics appear to be used by those breeding the bull type breeds which are not KC registered.
As for ear cropping this barbaric practice needs very tough prison sentences and vets need to ask questions when a cropped puppy turns up at their clinic.
These are just my opinions of course

MissTyc

Visit site
Yes, please obtain as much information as you can and let the licensing officer have it. Intel officers have facilities to obtain addresses etc.

Thanks I will do that. I know which row of bungalows the breeder lives in, but can probably figure out which one fairly easily. More Facebook digging suggests she works at a dog grooming parlour that uses the same name as the prefix of her puppies, so might be quite a lot going on there! They're advertised for £7,000 per pup, most recently a litter of 12!

Who should I send the info to? I filled in a form to the council about an unregistered breeder and also HMRC, but have since found out people have been doing this for years and no action, no change. Of course she may well be paying her taxes in which case HMRC wouldn't care about anything else.

satinbaze

Visit site
More Facebook digging suggests she works at a dog grooming parlour that uses the same name as the prefix of her puppies, so might be quite a lot going on there! They're advertised for £7,000 per pup, most recently a litter of 12!

Check with the kennel club and see if this is a registered affix. If you PM me the affix I will check for you. Not sure the kennel club will act but as it is a case of ear cropping they may do