BBC Radio 2 - on now!

touchstone

Visit site
People are being asked to ring in complaining about horse manure on the roads - time to voice our side of the story methinks!

china

Visit site
basically why should horse owners not pick up the manure. there was a chap that said its a huge hazard as he rides a motor bike and is likely to slip in it so he has to swerve, they are all up for us picking it up but none can offer a safe way of doing it, funny that. would like to see them ride a horse and then attempt to get off to pick its droppings up! i emailed what i thought in. i understand its a hazard, but is a rider dismounting her horse to pick droppings up in a national speed limit road not even more of a hazard?

tinkandlily

Visit site
What an idiot, i have heared the same argument a few weeks ago, and someone said, its no excuse the riders can't get on again when they get off, and that if a horse was lame, then the rider wouldn't think twice about getting off. Obviously he dosn't have a clue, who gets back on a lame horse?. Plus like you said, it far more dangerous getting of a horse that might not keep still whilst try to remove the poo, what does he expect us to do with it? carry it around for an hour, plus the added problem of getting it into a bag, scaring the horse half to death.

CAYLA

Visit site
evasive manuevers:D thats what motor bikes have to do to avoid being killed by horse pooh, the motor biker said:p

I listened whilst accompanying OH on his dog walking rounds.
Someone said, horse riders should dismound, pick it up and put it in a hedge if need be, or they should be liable to be fined like dog owners.

touchstone

Visit site
Humph! Some people don't listen at all - the pro horse caller explained that horse muck was harmless in comparison to dogs and that is why it is law to clean it up, yet all the 'anti' callers thought it should be the same law for horse owners - I'd like to see that motorcyclist get held up while a rider was hopping about on the road, causing a hazard trying to clear up and carry a bag of muck - it would take a darned lot longer than having to drive around a pile of poo for heavens sake!

The trouble is that the towns are encroaching into rural areas so much more now and people simply aren't tolerant enough to accept that there may be muck on the road. I can see the day coming when they want horses off completely :(

Thisbe

Visit site
I think the day the police have to pick it up from there police horses is the day everyone will have to.....................no fear there then

picolenicole

Visit site
Some people!!!!!

A old man living on my mums road (near a town) used to ask me to ride to his house (I did know him) so he could pick my horses poo up for his garden whilest still steaming!!! He said works wonders for keeping frost of his flowers, in winter!!!! He was lovely tho.