BD Maxi Cob goes Arena Eventing with Pics

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Well, after the cob based shanannigans last week we toddled off to Church Farm to do the 75cms Arena Eventing, see if the beggar would actually canter in his dressage test this week :rolleyes:

Dressage was a very simple test, but every time he hit the dip at the bottom of the warmup in canter he demonstrated to everyone how far a large cob bottom can extend itself upwards. Lets say we had to work rather hard on alot of 10m circles to get some softness and forwardness instead of back off and buck!

Test ok (I am a bit super critical) but got 67.4% and judge remarked on how supple he was through the turns! Very pleased with his springy canter transitions. 2nd after dressage - whit woo!

Onto the jumping ..... lack of forwardness too in the warm up (not usual for George any time but January!), used x poles in trot to get him lifting his shoulders. After getting a reasonable canter and decent couple of jumps over a spread in we went. My lower back and hips feel like they've no give, so stiff, wonder how much that's blocking him?

The minute we hit the arena the big cob bum went bunny hopping along. Rightly or wrongly (cc please - ALL comments welcome) I held onto him over the 1st to stop his head disappearing between his knees

img093.jpg

The interval between 2 and 3 was interesting, not really a 3 time canter, more of a tigger approach ...

But decent no 3 think I'm still not giving enough
img092.jpg

No 6 got left behind a tad ......

img094.jpg

img088.jpg

img089.jpg

The photographer missed (honestly!!!!!) the landing, and the fact that he jumped no 7 from a standstill after a good old buck. Ladina B eat your heart out.

But as we turned to no 8, the real George appeared and he was off - whole canter got bigger and more forward

img095.jpg

img090.jpg

img091.jpg

only issue was the tight dog leg jumping into and out of a corner but my poor riding (Ipresented the poor git at the wing) caused that - there were 4 tiny skinnies and flew them all - accuracy not an issue then!

Lets just say we had 1 or 2 time penalties :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So plan of action

Chiropractor for me Tues
Sylvis Schorn flatwork torture session in eve
Physio check over for george
Flipping good gallop at Crow Wood on Sunday to open the beggar out!
Move up to 85cms as a matter of course because he was clearing a metre over some of these and to be honest 75cms feels small now.

Given just over 2 years ago an 18inch course brought on an asthma attack I think if we can do it, anyone can!!!!!

Many thanks to Ken Etteridge for his kind (and express) permission to post all the pictures

diggerbez

Visit site
he looks fab :D my CC (FWIW) is that yes you could give a bit more with your hands over the fence...however, you aren't exactly socking him in the teeth either and its really hard to do when the little (not so little in this case? :p )beggars are trying to piss off with you ;) (i know this- its one of my biggest faults- i alternate between not giving/ ending up jumping before my horse in a bid to give my hands :D )
i LOVE your expression over number 6 :p

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Thanks guys - yes he's huge (16.3 probably) but I'm only 5 foot :D:D:D But, I've always said I'd rather have huge and well behaved than small and naughty - even though he's in monkey mode!!!

Diggerbez - thanks - good to know its not just me - I nearly fell off on my lesson last week as I was doing the same as you - and jumping first :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, we'll move up to 85cms for the Feb comp!

smac

Visit site
Wow, he is awesome!!! I agree that yes maybe you could give a little more, however as previously said you arn't socking him in teeth, and the latter pictures show when you both relaxed the postition is much improved. I wouldnt worry in the slightest though as the size comparison is I doubt he notices and I think you are better off keeping him a little shorter as you said at the start to prevent being sent in to orbit!

Super cob, he looks like the increase in height will be of benefit. best wishes

HayleyUK

Visit site
He's lovely! You might find a step up in height helps you give more because hes not running away so much - it does for me!

Where was the arena evening? I'd like a try!
Would you mind telling me what the fences were like? I'm not sure my mare's seen anything XC like for at least 6 years!

Thank you.

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Hayley - its at Church Farm which is just off j27 of the m6. Good courses and well run with a good range of classes!

www.churchfarmequestrian.co.uk

1st 8 normal SJs then the following 8 will be a mix of workers fences, a roll top, skinny brushes, this time we had cream beehives, what I call the ski jump, there could be a gate, or a log.

I've got pics from previous events if that would help

HuggyBear

Visit site
Thanks guys - yes he's huge (16.3 probably) but I'm only 5 foot :D:D:D But, I've always said I'd rather have huge and well behaved than small and naughty - even though he's in monkey mode!!!

Diggerbez - thanks - good to know its not just me - I nearly fell off on my lesson last week as I was doing the same as you - and jumping first :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, we'll move up to 85cms for the Feb comp!
You are my idol! (I am mini rider as well). I would need an oxygen mask riding up there. Haha.

Well done and you'll find 85 easy with that jump he has!

krushby

Visit site
What a fantastic horse - he's gorgeous!! Really enjoyed your report.

I'm sure 85cms will be easy. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Drummer

Visit site
He is such a dude!! Well done both of you!! I have a maxi who has that same glint in his eye, they sound similar...monkeys lol!!! Well done, I shall look forward to seeing more pics and reports!