BDS and barefoot - told I need a 'farriers certificate' for pony

pennyturner

Visit site
As above really - I was told at a BDS pleasure drive today that a barefoot pony requires a 'farrier's certificate' (whatever that is) to take part. I can find no reference online or in BDS literature.
WTF? - so a badly shod pony is fine, but one with shapely, rock crunching, hard as nails little feet cannot take part just because it hasn't got half a pound of steel nailed to each foot?

I'd be grateful if anyone can enlighten me. I suspect (hope) they were wrong.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Do they have a farrier in attendance, they don't mean they are to be checked before you leave, at the event? Otherwise that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Clannad48

Visit site
Different discipline but at Endurance in this country the farrier has to check the horses feet before they are presented at the first vetting - shod and barefoot horses alike - just to make sure there are no issues - they then sign the vetting certificate in the space allotted. Do they mean this for BDS

pennyturner

Visit site
Different discipline but at Endurance in this country the farrier has to check the horses feet before they are presented at the first vetting - shod and barefoot horses alike - just to make sure there are no issues - they then sign the vetting certificate in the space allotted. Do they mean this for BDS

This makes sense. Maybe there's something like that for HDT, and they got confused.