BE 14 day rule

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
How does it work with the BE 14 day rule about practising round courses?

Tomorrow there is a PC event at a venue - 9 people are running at the BE event 13 days later. The rules are pretty tenuous as say about practising at a venue so does this not include competing?

Same with the unaff at Aston then the BE event just a few days later which a few people ran at both?

In this day and age is the BE rule out of date as courses can be changed so easily?

It appears to be a pretty pointless rule and one that most people ignore?

beano

Visit site
I wondered that myself. I saw an example of someone who'd competed at alw unaff and then the BE this week. Courses were the same...

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Given that the rule is worded 'practice' I would take that to mean competitive runs are not included especially as a separate rule refers to a horse not being allowed to run twice at the same event in the same class or different whereby the course is not significantly different.

This to me offers a more interesting question whereby if say a fixture is 3 days long (horses cannot compete on consecutive days) it theoretically could do a BE100 on the first day and a Novice on the third!

TarrSteps

Visit site
It would be interesting to get this clarified but I suspect the use of "practice" allows for the latitude we see. So you can't rent a course and school over it the week or two before, but you aren't excluded from competing there in another event within the window.

Is there no other rule that covers entering multiple classes in the same competition though. There is a rule regarding this in the US and Canada and some while back a few venues experimented with having separate competitions on different days, rather than one spanning two or three days. The h/j shows have been known to do something similar to absolve participants from schooling rules. . .

Last edited:

AnShanDan

Visit site
I don't know the BE rule detail, but the PC rule is that you cannot school over the course in the previous 2 weeks, but you can compete over the course, which seems daft, but that's the pony club:D Just checked the 2013 rule book too.

A few years ago, the area horse trials were run immediately after a BE event, i.e. 3 days later, and some competitors did both: BE Novice followed by Open PC over the identical track.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
RC's is worded 'run' therefore you cannot do BE then RC areas which every year causes problems in at least one area in the country!

Tarrsteps, BE rules 'simply' states:

5.16 Horse Competition Limitations. A Horse may not compete (incl. HC):
• On consecutive days, whether at the same or different Events;
• In the same class, or any class using substantially the same cross country
course, twice at the same event.

Which as I mention above suggests that if a 3 day long fixture horse could do PN on day 1 and N on day 3 if substantially different course!

Lolo

Visit site
I don't know the BE rule detail, but the PC rule is that you cannot school over the course in the previous 2 weeks, but you can compete over the course, which seems daft, but that's the pony club:D Just checked the 2013 rule book too.

A few years ago, the area horse trials were run immediately after a BE event, i.e. 3 days later, and some competitors did both: BE Novice followed by Open PC over the identical track.

That's only for areas though- for normal ODEs it's at the organisor's discretion in the PC. Half entries schooled round before our ODE on Thurs it seemed!