BE - dressage element

SpottyTB

Visit site
Hello!!

Planning ahead a little but trying to get a rough plan of action going forward into winter.

My goal is to do some BE next year, 80 and possibly a 90 if I grow a pair.. this winter I want to work hard on tidying up our dressage and gaining experience show jumping.

We’ve recently been out and got a 68.65% in a prelim, I am just wandering roughly what mark that would have been under BE dressage scoring?

sorry if it doesn’t make sense or I’ve said something not quite right, I’m learning as I go!!

thanks I’m advance!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I found it was equivalent, in the opposite. I think they actually score more generously, but then you lose that advantage through the test being on a hillside, slippery, with XC going on behind you - meaning the test isn't as good as at home.

It would also depend on whether the prelim test was affiliated or not, round here that makes a 5% difference all on its own!

So, if it was affiliated I would expect you to get roughly a 32, or if not a 37.

But then it is always a bit hit and miss, as the judges at 80 don't have to be that experienced. Plus they are expected to be encouraging.

TBF, for your first 80s and 90, I would just go to enjoy and have a great day out!

ihatework

Visit site
BE is 100 minus your %, rounded to the nearest 0.5 to get penalties. So you would have got 31.5

I find the marking for BE can fluctuate quite dramatically, sometimes 10% for similar tests marked by different judges, but overall I think BE scoring is a little more lenient than BD

SpottyTB

Visit site
Thank you so much for that, just handy to know how it works.

I need a goal to keep me motivated this winter - so looks like we've got one :D! Said score was his 2nd ever test, so hopefully the more we do the more we'll improve!

Nicnac

Visit site
Try and practice on grass as there's a world of difference between a nice BD surface and a BE test on grass with a XC course next to it with a field of cows or pigs on t'other side o_O

SpottyTB

Visit site
Try and practice on grass as there's a world of difference between a nice BD surface and a BE test on grass with a XC course next to it with a field of cows or pigs on t'other side o_O

Haha yes absolutely - a lot of our work will be on focus, something he is improving hugely on, but its still a working progress!!!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Go for it!

The BE dressage judges that I’ve written for love judging BE tests. They say the competitors and horses look happier than those at the same level at BD, as though they're out to have a good day. I agree with that sentiment :).

Ah that's lovely, its been a long term goal of mine ever since i bought him at 6 months old, but i do understand its a whole different level and there is work to be done! It's good to know what to aim for and focus on :D

doodle

Visit site
I found when doing BE (not with me but his fab rider) the dressage Mark was a little higher than pure dressage but just 2 or 3%. He also did better in the BE 90 than 80s but that could have just been the culmination of a season of hard work.