BE eventing any fall and your eliminated

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Presumably that's elimination even if your fall is XC and not associated with an obstacle. I've seen the occasional rider go base over apex because the horse slipped or napped between fences. As a fence judge rather than a competitor I hate that I'm going to have to potentially eliminate some poor soul for hitting the deck like that.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Presumably that's elimination even if your fall is XC and not associated with an obstacle. I've seen the occasional rider go base over apex because the horse slipped or napped between fences. As a fence judge rather than a competitor I hate that I'm going to have to potentially eliminate some poor soul for hitting the deck like that.

Better than letting someone who is fired up on adrenaline continue with a hidden injury.

If they fall off in the warm up there is time to assess them before letting them continue - or not.

Fiona

Visit site
It's been this way in FEI and Eventing Ireland events for a few years now, and I do see that the rule BE originally wanted to introduce which was if you have a fall on course, you have to be checked by a medic before continuing, was unworkable both in terms of the number of doctors needed on site and also the pressure on the doctor to make a split second decision under pressure...

Fiona

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Im not up on BE rules but surely you were elminated for a fall in the ring anyway?Or were you allowed to fall off in dressage...?

The rider before me in dressage at a 3de once fell off and somehow the judge still gave her a better score than me! However, I jumped a double clear and she fell off twice XC so maybe that does say something for eliminating them.....

Mule

Visit site
I didn't think people would manage to fall off in the dressage until I did a try event where the arena was so slippy 3 horses went down. Although it was run under Eventing Ireland rules people were allowed to continue.

At any rate that was the biggest incentive I ever saw to ride balanced corners ;)

chocolategirl

Visit site
I think this is a bit unfair tbh. In the past my daughter has had an involuntary dismount a couple of times cross country but as she landed on her feet, clearly was fine to continue, even her air jacket didn’t go off as her horse is only 15hh. I’ve already questioned whether to renew our membership this year due to the price increase etc, and I think this just might make my mind up! We did a few unaff’s last year and the prizes were fantastic, all run under rules, over BE courses and really well organised.

Casey76

Visit site
With the FFE you have always been eliminated for any falls, even in Poney and club classes

Consequently I think it's bizarre that you were allowed to remount and continue in the UK!

Mkw

Visit site
Where I'm from this has been the rule for many years now to protect both rider and horse from continuing with injuries after a fall. Makes sense to me.

TGM

Visit site
In the past my daughter has had an involuntary dismount a couple of times cross country but as she landed on her feet, clearly was fine to continue, even her air jacket didn’t go off as her horse is only 15hh..
You say that but I just saw a video on Instagram of a riding falling off over a fence and landing on her feet. But noticed as she fell her head hit the horse's neck fairly hard which could certainly cause concussion - easy to spot that in a video not so easy to spot in the heat of competition.

Even setting aside the health and safety angle, I think it is a good and logical move. Eventing is a test of skill and ability, so surely keeping 'the horse between you and the ground' is a vital part of that, just as getting the horse to go forward and jump the fences is. Horse refuses to go out the start box, you get eliminated, horse refuses to jump the fences, you get eliminated, rider comes off the horse, you get eliminated. Seems pretty sensible and logical to me - just surprised it wasn't implemented sooner.

Neptune

Visit site
I see the sense in the rule as a medic under pressure to make a split decision there and then to allow the rider to continue or not is always going to be liable in this day and age. Concussion is sometimes delayed and although appear fine at the time other things could be going on.

Although I do feel it will hit the 80/90 riders the hardest. Most are just out for a bit of fun on their horse for the day and it is an expensive day to just fall at the 1st hurdle. A lot of 80 riders are giving this ago for the 1st time themselves or with a young horse and as much training as you put in you can not be prepared for the unknown. I think it will make a lot of people at this level re-think before they pay their membership for the year.

First Flame

Visit site
I seem to recall that BE must have had this rule in place before and then maybe removed it? Only because when I evented my mare a few moons ago she would occasionally throw in a stop SJ and I'd roll off the top ;-). I remember then being eliminated and not being allowed to go XC, an expensive dressage test that would be! Frustrating as we literally never ever had a fault XC. At the time we were fine doing PC eventing as they still went XC before SJ (never had a stop in the SJ after XC, go figure). Once this changed, we made the move to pure dressage and kept the jumping at home for fun.

Rollin

Visit site
Concussion. My son walked into an exit pipe from an Aircon unit in a dimly lit car park in Aberdeen. He continued about his business but then realised he was not well and took himself to A&E at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. After a few hours of observation he was discharged. My other son went to collect him - he was legless and could not walk to the car. He was re-admitted discharged the following day, went home to Edinburgh on the train. His girlfriend's mother, who is a nurse, saw him, thought he was still not well and he was admitted to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

After discharge he was off work for weeks and lost his power of speech. He has recovered now. This was the result of a minor 'bump' on the head. It can be difficult to assess the seriousness of an apparently minor injury.