BE eventing plan

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Right after spending the winter planning the start to my first BE season the plans now need to change!
I have had to withdraw from my first event at Moreton due to a virus on the yard which has meant we have had to go into lockdown. Potentially would have been ok for Moreton but not being able to hack or turn out means his fitness wont be as good as i would want it to be.
I am now having a rethink, i want to do Bicton in april at 90. This would be our first be 90 so the plan was to do the 80 at Moreton. I want to get out before bicton and was looking at Howick.
Having looked at the course pictures on shoestring and some you tube videos of the 90 am wondering if it is a nice first time 90 course?
Depending on when we get the all clear will depend on whether i can get to any hunter trails before Howick or not.
What are people's thoughts on Howick?

be positive

Visit site
From what I remember, only been there once, Howick was a fair course and could be suitable for a first 90, Bovington is definitely a good first time course and would be ideal for your first 90 run, whereas Bicton, unless it has changed or you have already been there unaff, definitely is not suitable as a first timers course although some may disagree, if you have not had a few good runs I would avoid Bicton this April.

I would probably aim for 80 at Howick, 90 at Bovington to get a couple of nice runs to start the season.

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Ok thanks, that wasnt one of my plans but if Bovington is better will also do that. Was also aiming for port eliot.. Bicton is very local to me and have schooled over the majority of the fences that are in the 90 was hoping to get to the 90 hunter trial there in march but that depends how long we are in lock down for.

siennamum

Visit site
if it helps there's an unaff at Pontispool at the end of March, which will be BE equivalent. Howick is a prefect 1st timer run I'd say

Moon Dancer

Visit site
Yeah i saw pontispool had an unaffliated. I wasn't planning on doing any unaffiliated odes this year to try and keep the costs down slightly! Again pontispool is pretty local to me so have schooled over a lot of their fences and competed unaffliated there last year.

Vanha12

Visit site
Yes, they ballot if they have too many entries. If you are on a ticket you will be balloted first, then members that haven't used a ballot sticker, then super ballot. If you volunteer or have been balloted before you also get priority. The event will show how many were balloted last year so you will have a fair idea of the more popular events and getting your entry in early will help.