BE first timer help please!

Firewell

Visit site
I've just got a text to say my entry has been accepted eeeek!

As a first timer I'm a bit clueless as to the rules and the done thing on the day, I'm doing it on a ticket.

Does this all sound Ok or is any of it wrong, not allowed?

Drop noseband and full cheek snaffle in the dr, same as a I use BD. White saddlecloth. Bridle number and/or just bib number?

Grackle noseband and the snaffle for SJ and XC.

I thought I would wear a tweed jacket, black boots, beige jods and spotty stock for dr and SJ with my black champion SJ hat with a peak OR should I wear my crash hat that doesn't have a peak with a velvet cover OR should I wear my velvet showing/dr hat with flesh coloured harness?

XC I don't have any proper colours so I was going to wear just a thin breathable roll neck with back protector over the top? Or should I wear a shirt and stock?
My back protector is about 8 years old now, it's a Rodney Powell one with a purple lvl 3 label is that Ok? I was told I can't wear my SJ hat with a peak XC so I thought I'll wear my older crash hat (3/4yrs old) with a silk?
Medical armband - is there anything in particular I must include on this?

Number bib, My mum has hers from when she used to event 20 odd years ago that I could use, it ties up at the side. Is this correct? Do they give you the number to put in it or do you have to get it yourself before you go?

I was just going to use my normal saddle and girth for xc, you don't use overgirths nowadays do you?

Oh also it says to ring for times or check on the website a couple of days before. Is there anything else I need to do, I don't have to ring to declare now or anything do I?

I think that's it. Does that all sound ok? Anything I've forgotten?

Wading my way through the rules online on my iPhone would take forever as the sight takes ages to load.

Thank you so so much!!

Popcorn and Pimms for helping :).

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Is it BE? If so, the medical card has to be one of their's, you can buy them online. The number bibs now have elasticated clips at the side, but as long as you can fit an A4 bit of paper in and it has a cross back so the straps don't slip down, you'll be fine! :D Or you can buy one from BE online.

Everything you're wearing sounds fine, although your hat seems a bit old (IMO, personal choice, I don't 'think' it's too old for BE) BP is new enough too I think, although again for me it's a bit old.

You can use your Grackle for the Dressage phase if you wanted too, saves a tack change, but that's up to you.

When you arrive, straight to the Steward to pay your start fee, get your number and get any hat you plan on jumping in tagged. Then your good to go at your set times, although always check in with the stewards in the collecting rings to make sure they are running on time/running in number order.

Most importantly HAVE FUN :D Where are you off to? Good Luck :D

MegaBeast

Visit site
I've just got a text to say my entry has been accepted eeeek!

As a first timer I'm a bit clueless as to the rules and the done thing on the day, I'm doing it on a ticket.

Does this all sound Ok or is any of it wrong, not allowed?

Drop noseband and full cheek snaffle in the dr, same as a I use BD. White saddlecloth. Bridle number and/or just bib number?

sounds fine, everyone uses bib numbers

Grackle noseband and the snaffle for SJ and XC.

yup!

I thought I would wear a tweed jacket, black boots, beige jods and spotty stock for dr and SJ with my black champion SJ hat with a peak OR should I wear my crash hat that doesn't have a peak with a velvet cover OR should I wear my velvet showing/dr hat with flesh coloured harness?

any of the above! I wear a black velvet hat with flesh coloured harness with tweed, you'll also see lots of crash helmets with velvet covers, the SJ style champion hats tend to be few and far between

XC I don't have any proper colours so I was going to wear just a thin breathable roll neck with back protector over the top? Or should I wear a shirt and stock?

I put a long sleeved running style plain balck top over my sleeveless show shirt and leave my stock on for neck support (just makre sure you remove the pin!). My xc colours are in effect my BP which works very well - can see in my siggy

My back protector is about 8 years old now, it's a Rodney Powell one with a purple lvl 3 label is that Ok? I was told I can't wear my SJ hat with a peak XC so I thought I'll wear my older crash hat (3/4yrs old) with a silk?

ideally you'd want a newer BP due to foam degeneration but it's acceptable. Can only wear a peaked hat xc if it's a "crushable" peak (can't think of correct term) so would wear crash hat. don't forget to take all your hats to the secretary to be tagged when you get your number.

Medical armband - is there anything in particular I must include on this?

If you don't already have a card call or email BE and they'll send you their standard insert free of charge. Includes docotos details, vehice, next of kin, stand down periods etc so best to have the standard.

Number bib, My mum has hers from when she used to event 20 odd years ago that I could use, it ties up at the side. Is this correct? Do they give you the number to put in it or do you have to get it yourself before you go?

secretary gives you your number when you go to pay your start fee - 2 x A4 sheets of paper. Your Mum's bib sounds fine

I was just going to use my normal saddle and girth for xc, you don't use overgirths nowadays do you?

can use an over girth if you wish but is very rare to see!

Oh also it says to ring for times or check on the website a couple of days before. Is there anything else I need to do, I don't have to ring to declare now or anything do I?

nope, you can just check times on line which is easier for both you and the secreatry, no actual contact needed, they'll assume you'll be there unless you indicate otherwise.

I think that's it. Does that all sound ok? Anything I've forgotten?

Think you've covered it all!

Wading my way through the rules online on my iPhone would take forever as the sight takes ages to load.

Thank you so so much!!

Popcorn and Pimms for helping :).

Hope this helps, very best of luck... it's lots of fun and not at all scarey. Eventers are a very friendly lot so don't be afraid to ask in the lorry park or secretaries tent even if you think you're question is daft.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Your dressage tack is fine if bit is BD legal and nothing funny with the mouthpiece (like ported) Just bib number - have not seen bridle numbers worn at BE

Tack for SJ and XC fine

All hats you must take to the secretary (or scorer) and have tagged. These will be checked for each phase. You are right you cannot use peaked for XC. Other than that wear whichever you prefer for dressage and SJ as long as they are tagged (need to be to the correct standard to be tagged)

You collect your numbers on the day. They are A4 bits of paper that slip into your bib.

It is recommended you wear a stock for XC but not compulsory.

medical armband get from BE and it is self explanatory :)

Remember you can't carry a stick for dressage or have your test called.

Most of all have fun and good luck!

Firewell

Visit site
Wow glad I asked as I don't have the right armband!

Thanks so so much! Gosh didn't think of the whip rule for dressage either.

It is a bit of a pain my hat being a bit old, I on purpose got a new one after Christmas but I didn't even think about the peak being a problem! I've never fallen off in my old one so hopefully it will be ok although it's not ideal. I may borrow my mums BP then, it is newer and it's an adjustable one.

Are you sure I'm allowed to use the grakle in the dressage?! That would be very good if that was the case as he goes better in that.

Thanks again so much! Will not put on the overgirth I don't want to look like a muppet lol.

Firewell

Visit site
Kirstyhen we're going to Iping, it's only down the road from me so an opportunity to good to miss really! :D
Problem is because it's close to home the world and it's brother is coming to watch me so I hope it goes ok and we don't embarrass ourselves!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Haha, don't worry, at Mally's first BE a bunch of kids I teach and their Parents turned up to watch! You'll have a great time and if in doubt ask the person nearest to you, they'll be able to help or know someone that can :D

be positive

Visit site
Dont forget to take your horses passport when you collect your number ,they may wish to check.
If you want to have an idea of your times you can see section start times/your number and allow 6 mins per dr. test ,this is not always accurate but works for me:):)
Good luck and enjoy:)

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
ooh great question, I too am doing my first BE in 3 weeks. I can't decide whether I'm feeling terrified or excited!

On the question of body protectors is there a BE rule on their age? Mine is older than the OPs although its fairly low milage and is also a Purple Level 3 . As my horse is 18 I'm unlikely to do more than one or two events and I can't afford a new BP for this event at the moment. I may be able to borrow a newer one, but wondered whether they are checked like hats?

Oh and about the medical armband - I have a green one (seem to recall it has a name on it beginning with a V) do I just need to get an up to date card insert or do I need to get the whole thing again? I noticed on the BE site it's now blue with British Eventing on the label.

Last edited:

Visit site
Hi,

I am at Iping 80T, it's only my third BE. Iping last year was my first! I was really nervous but I loved it! Are you doing the 80T?

jenbleep

Visit site
Nothing for me to add as I'm a BE novice too but I just wanted to say good luck!!

I'm looking to do BE next year (I wanted to do an event in August, but the entry needs to be in at the end of July and I am very poor this month!) So RC it is :)

Amy_08

Visit site
Hi,

I am at Iping 80T, it's only my third BE. Iping last year was my first! I was really nervous but I loved it! Are you doing the 80T?

Me too! I've never been there so really looking forward to it, but it looks like we've got about a 3 1/2 hour wait in between dressage and show jumping :(

What was it like and do you have any pictures 5379? All I know is that its hilly and twisty!

shady_lady

amyye.blogspot.com
I'll be at iping for my 2nd BE event (or you could count it as the 1st as i fell off xc and was eliminated last time :p ) on a complete novice ex racehorse doing the 80(T) PC! By the sounds of it there are going to be quite a few BE novices there :)

Visit site
Amy_08

Sorry no I haven't got any photos, yeah the xc is hilly but still a nice inviting course appropriate for an 80, good luck and maybe see you there

Firewell

Visit site
Exciting! It's my first ODE since I was 16/17 and my horses first ever ODE too so should be interesting!

trottingon

Visit site
In my experience, up to and including Novice level, no-one ever sticks to their times other than for the dressage (presenting to the dressage stewards in plenty of time for your test is absolutely essential). So if you are ready, don't be scared to see how busy the jumping or x-country is, and put yourself forward earlier than your set time.

VoR

Visit site
I think the most important tip and advice is.................................have fun!

Don't get too worked up about it, it is giving you experience and if things don't go to plan then see it as a learning point. Don't expect to win/be placed, if it happens then great but for your first time just set yourself little targets like, remember the dressage (!!!) and complete SJ and XC, not go round clear in the time, etc.