BE fixed peak ruling retained

popsdosh

Visit site
As per title.

Fixed Peak ruling retained for the Cross Country phase
Further to an announcement on 30th January regarding the new rule banning helmets with fixed peaks being worn on the cross country phase of British Eventing affiliated events, the BE Sport Committee met again on 10th February to discuss this further.

It was agreed that this new rule, which states that: “For the Cross Country phase, protective headwear must not have a fixed peak,” will be retained.

Only Jockey Skulls will be permitted on Cross Country. Whilst a Jockey Skull is a commonly understood description for a type of peakless protective helmet, for the purposes of clarification, a Jockey Skull typically has:
. No peak, peak type extensions or noticeable protruberances above the eyes (or to the front) and has an even, elliptical or rounded shape.
. A smooth or slightly abrasive surface.
. A removable cover containing the peak, should one be required (such as a hat silk).

Helmets with fixed peaks can still be worn for the showjumping and dressage phases if in accordance with the rules, which remain unchanged.

“The safety of its members is of paramount importance to British Eventing, and this rule has been introduced to enable BE members to compete in the best personal protective equipment available” said Chris Farr, BE Sport Operations Manager.

lindsayH

Visit site
Can someone please explain to me why it is safe to jump showjumps but not XC fences in fixed peaks? I have always wondered and I'm sure there must be a reason but I can't think of it!

Mike007

Visit site
Going back to the early days of the jockeys skullcap . Research showed that any protuberance from the hat could dig into the dirt and at speed ,cause devastating neck injuries. In fact they went so far as to reduce the thickness of the skullcap because there was a payoff between padding and the extra leverage the hat exerted .Sadly now we have Mickey mouse hats packed with polystyrene instead of a cradle supported on nylon bands . The latter is far and away superior in absorbing shock to the neck but costs more to make and is not idiot proof. So what we have meets all the tests ,but only because the people who designed the tests were the people trying to sell these mickey mouse hats.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It does amuse me they have rules like this yet you can still ride in a ridiculous top hat for dressage (at a certain level)... I was certainly one of the odd ones out when I rode in my bog-standard non-top hat the few times I ever competed at that level. And for the record, I've fallen off more times in the dressage in BE than ever in the SJ or XC (twice dressage, none to date in the SJ / XC).

lindsayH

Visit site
Thanks for that Mike, I can see how a peak might 'catch' on the ground and hadn't thought of that. I'm still not sure if I understand why this couldn't happen when SJing. I would have thought either a hat was safe, or it wasn't. I would like to see the explanation/evidence for this decision. Just wondering if I should be ditching my fixed peak altogether!

VRIN

Visit site
Thanks for that Mike, I can see how a peak might 'catch' on the ground and hadn't thought of that. I'm still not sure if I understand why this couldn't happen when SJing. I would have thought either a hat was safe, or it wasn't. I would like to see the explanation/evidence for this decision. Just wondering if I should be ditching my fixed peak altogether!

i was doing dressage training last weekend. Horse spooked, I fell off, and now have a broken nose due to the fixed peak on my dressage hat. I shall not be wearing it again!

gembear

Visit site
i was doing dressage training last weekend. Horse spooked, I fell off, and now have a broken nose due to the fixed peak on my dressage hat. I shall not be wearing it again!

Funny you say that, because a fixed peak saved me from a broken nose once when the horse threw it's head back. Hope you recover soon.

Ultimately just depends how and where you fall etc :/

Lego

Visit site

Having read all the assorted reviews and safety briefs for different hats, and having narrowly missed a broken nose in a fall, I now wear a skull cap for everyday. I have kept a peaked one for dressage-literally wear it for competitions only...a little vanity as I just think they look nicer :)

Perhaps it's the hats not the only thr peak, but when I've had falls in peaked hats, I've always bashed my forehead or nose and had a sore neck after, whereas I've had 2 big falls in HS1s and in both cases didn't even realise I'd hit my head till I saw the damage after!