BE XC Jump Judging - Rules?

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have a question from the BE rulebook experts on the forum.

Husband and I were at Wellington Horse Trials today - out on the XC course and saw something that seemed a bit odd and wondered what the BE rules are.

Rider/horse A approached the water jump, stopped and rider fell off. Rider took some time to remount, by which time Rider/horse B is approaching - as in about 20 strides or so from the fence. Rider/horse A didn't wait - just re-presented to the fence, which resulted in Rider/horse B having to a) circle; and b) take a pull. Clock wasn't stopped for Rider/horse B and Rider/horse A wasn't asked to wait.

I actually thought Rider A was rather rude . . . and that the situation was unfair on Rider B - but what do the rules say?

P

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I only have the fence judging book to hand, but the relevant rule should be 6.3.9.14.

A competitor who is about to be overtaken should clear the way, but it isn't that easy to notice that when you have troubles of your own. Control normally identify the problem and asks the fence judge to allow the faster competitor through. However if the slower competitor is committed to jumping the fence already the faster one can't impede them.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I only have the fence judging book to hand, but the relevant rule should be 6.3.9.14.

A competitor who is about to be overtaken should clear the way, but it isn't that easy to notice that when you have troubles of your own. Control normally identify the problem and asks the fence judge to allow the faster competitor through. However if the slower competitor is committed to jumping the fence already the faster one can't impede them.

Thing is, Rider A wasn't committed - she re-mounted and hadn't yet re-presented when Rider B was approaching the fence - fence judges did nothing to alert her (although she'd have had to be deaf and blind not to see him coming) . . . I just thought it was grossly unfair that Rider B had to risk time penalties to slow down and circle to get out of her way. We asked the fence judges and they said that although he had effectively crossed his tracks due to circling to wait for her to jump the fence, they hadn't penalized him . . . but coming away from the fence they were really close to each other . . . I felt that the whole thing was badly handled (by the officials) tbh.

P

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
FJs at water jump will have radioed control as soon as Rider A fell. I wonder why Rider B was allowed to continue round the course if the FJs at the water jump were still dealing with the aftermath of the fall?

Will be very interested to hear from experienced people as to what could/should have been done. I wonder if the FJs even noticed Rider B, if all their attention was on Rider A?

Myself and OH will be doing our annual stint of BE FJing next month. Rather wondering what we have let ourself in for, after a few recent threads. He is not horsey at all, and I haven't evented above RC novice level, but we try and do our best on the day.

Pidgeon

Visit site
We've had lots of fallers who want to continue, we keep in touch with control letting them know whether course is blocked or clear, if blocked they stop the horses approaching or if clear let them run and we then restart the faller. If faller is quick back up sometimes there is enough time to restart before next horse comes through.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
It sounds like rider B got a bit of a raw deal, difficult to guess whose fault. However, if rider B complained, using the times recorded by each fence judge it would be possible to calculate the time the rider lost and remove any time faults caused by that incident.

paddi22

Visit site
i'd go balistic if i was rider B!!! In ireland, people usually are eliminated straight away once they fall, is it not the same in england?

Jnhuk

Visit site
FJ should have been relaying things to control as it happened as control would need to make the decision if a fall whether course was clear or not etc.... and if they needed to stop the course and what support the FJ needed for the horse/rider (vet/ambulance/fence repair).

FJ should have ensured the remounted rider gave way to the second rider if they were aware of the situation developing, which from what you've said, that they should have but obviously didn't happen for whatever reason. Maybe they were busy filling in the fall form!

Lexi_

Visit site
Usually Control will ask you if the rider wants to continue after a fall and if yes, they'll either say to start them straight away or, if there's another rider coming up fairly soon, they'll say to keep them to one side and then let you know when it's safe to restart them.

It can be a bit frantic when someone's fallen at your fence and I can see how they might have been taken by surprise by the next horse approaching. If you're radioing Control and vice versa, the other fences aren't going to be radioing through so you may miss out on hearing where the next horse is on course.

Sounds in this situation like maybe Control made a bit of a boob or, more likely, there was some radio miscommunication. Easily done (esp as some people do insist on radioing their normal messages when there's a fall elsewhere on course and you're meant to be quiet!) and it usually doesn't cause any problems but in this case it did.

It's easy enough to take time faults etc off though so hopefully rider B wasn't affected by it.

Last edited:

star

Visit site
When I fell off at Badminton they asked me if I wanted to carry on, got me to clear the course and get back on, wait for next rider to go through then gave me the all clear to start again. I'd be pretty mad if I was having a good run and came to a fence to find someone in my way. My horse can be very easily distracted and nappy and having to pull him up like that could easily upset him.