Be80 balloting/waitlist

Michen

Visit site
Hi,

I am hoping start doing some BE80's from April onwards, possibly 4/5 over the season depending on how we go. I will be going with my friend whilst she starts her youngster out at 80 then moving up to 90 (quite a few of them are on the same day luckily). Both her and horse are registered BE.

I would like to stick to BE rather than unaff for a number of valid reasons and am a bit worried about being constantly balloted as I will be on a day ticket?

I'm wondering whether it will be worth registering myself or the horse as well (thus adding another £40 pounds or so to each event if I do 4 this season) to reduce the chances of this?

Reading conflicting things at to whether BE80's often get balloted so any advice appreciated. I am SE England so localish events of the top of my head are Bovington, Ascott under wychwood, Broadway, Swalcliffe, Aston le walls...

be positive

Visit site
I think the majority of competitors doing BE80 will be on a training ticket, over the last few seasons doing 80/90/100s none of my horses were ever balloted and we didn't always use up the priority stickers so I wouldn't worry too much until you move up to 90 of you will do enough for membership to be worthwhile.
Don't forget if you offer to help for a day, if you have free time, most events running over 2 days will guarantee you an entry, it can be worthwhile as well as fun to be involved.

On the entry form if they run 2 days or previous day dressage, not likely at 80, it helps if you can be completely flexible about when you go, try not to complicate things by stating you are traveling with x,y or z, you will most likely be there all day anyway so don't make a nuisance of yourself by trying to get similar times just go with the flow or ask your friend to put it on her form if she is a member.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Ahhh thanks! Until I move up to 90... Hehe... I'm not holding my breath. Though we did jump 90 tonight which is all down to the wonderful B given that after the mental mare I wouldn't even jump a cross pole so who knows!

I actually signed up to volunteer for BE a few weeks ago as I thought it would be a bit of fun and quite interesting, I have always enjoyed being 'groom' for my friend at BE events.

Thank you again that's very helpful :)

Ps were the horses you ran at BE80 that didn't get balloted on a training ticket as well?

I think the majority of competitors doing BE80 will be on a training ticket, over the last few seasons doing 80/90/100s none of my horses were ever balloted and we didn't always use up the priority stickers so I wouldn't worry too much until you move up to 90 of you will do enough for membership to be worthwhile.
Don't forget if you offer to help for a day, if you have free time, most events running over 2 days will guarantee you an entry, it can be worthwhile as well as fun to be involved.

be positive

Visit site
1 certainly was, the other probably, he ran in 3, including Bovington, I think they joined when he moved up to 90. Don't forget many BE venues will run unaff over the same courses, West Wilts usually have several over the summer.

Nicnac

Visit site
First season BE horse competed on a ticket - did two 80's and two 90's and was balloted once from Munstead 90 in September. Worth looking at numbers balloted in previous years and pick those events that didn't ballot.

Newlands

Visit site
I was balloted from Chilham and Littleton 80t last season, they were the only two I entered. I have full membership this year so hoping that may help me get in!? Just about to do my Munstead entry. Good luck!!

Fun Times

Visit site
I did 3 80's on a training pass and wasn't ballotted (although I am in the north). I suspect you are more likely to be ballotted early in the season when people are trying to get first runs in before moving up a level.

Eventing Girl

Visit site
Think all be 80s are run on training tickets

I've affiliated my little mare to do 80's. I just think depending on how many events you want to do it makes sense. I've got ballot stickers and if I go upto 90 then I don't have to worry about tickets for me too. I have competed a bit without them in the past and have never been balloted though :)

I ask for BE vouchers for Christmas so it makes it more affordable :)

Good luck and have fun :)

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I also have affiliated and will be starting the season with an 80 or 2 before moving up to 90.
Which events were you looking at? You can find out if they balloted last year.

I am new to BE, what is the difference between balloting and waitlisting? It says none were balloted at Moreton but there are some wait listed

be positive

Visit site
I also have affiliated and will be starting the season with an 80 or 2 before moving up to 90.
Which events were you looking at? You can find out if they balloted last year.

I am new to BE, what is the difference between balloting and waitlisting? It says none were balloted at Moreton but there are some wait listed

If you are balloted you will not get a run, your name is removed from the entries, if you are waitlisted you will possibly get a run as when anyone withdraws the next on the waitlist will go into their place, if you do get waitlisted keep checking the entries as they change daily so you will see yourself getting nearer the top and have some idea whether you will get in.