BE80 Training Classes.

Jon Lowe

New User
Visit site
I am wanting to research competitor's opinions and experiences of BE80 training classes. I would be really interested to hear from anyone who has competed at this level and has any thing to say about the training experience they received at the event or their take of the concept in general.

bounce

Visit site
BE80 is an excellent idea as far as I'm concerned. This year I have managed my ambition of affiliated eventing. I wouldn't yet have the confidence to go round a BE90 course so 80 is a great introduction. I didn't make use of the training coaches though as didn't think someone who didn't know my horse would have helped very much for 20 mins before dressage test. Although if I had been having problems I would have called on them to help. Its nice to have them there as a backup.

Firewell

Visit site
Ask me this at the end of tomorrow ;).

The one I have been too so far was great. It was our first ODE and I picked BE80 instead of unaff as I wanted a nice flowing course and no nasty surprises!

We had a great day, the trainer found me in the dressage warm up, made sure I was OK and did I want to meet for the course walks. I said no as I had walked the course twice the day before but I wanted some advice on how to ride one of the combinations and she explained how I should ride it.

I thought the course was very solid and some of the fences were shared with the intro so may have been a bit bigger then they were meant to be but it was straightforward and bold and for a first XC it was perfect for my horse.

I thought it was a very positive experience, expensive but worth it hence why I'm doing another one!

It was the perfect introduction really :).

orionstar

Visit site
I would love to start eventing with BE80 but unfortunatly we dont have a course near enough for it to be worth the expense - so for any land owners in the North East of England (and that actually means the North East and not Lincolnshire!), we do actually own horses here and want to compete!

sweet_decline

Visit site
I've done two this season.

At the first one I was offered training for the dressage warm-up, which I accepted and found helpful for running through a few of the movements - she gave me tips on what I could do to pick up some extra marks, rather than actually changing the horse's way of going, which wouldn't have been helpful just before a test! Definitely helped - as we got our personal best score at that time.

I saw some people having help in the SJ warm-up, and I was offered some too, but my trainer (who used to compete my horse so knows her inside out) was around to give me a hand.

My trainer was there again for the XC warm-up, so we politely told the official trainer that we'd be OK and thanked her for her help in the dressage. As our warm-up progressed, however, she kept interrupting my trainer about the way he was advising me - to the point that they were arguing over the best way for the horse to go (she wanted me to let the horse go off a longer stride to a fence - fair enough - but my horse will stand off a ridiculously long way and dive at fences, so my trainer advises me to keep her shorter into a fence in the warm-up). While all this was going on I felt like crying and wanted to be a million miles away! So I ended up ignoring them both and just doing my own thing. Thankfully we went clear (and I told my trainer in no uncertain terms not to get into arguments again when he's supposed to be helping me!)

At the second one I only saw a trainer in the dressage warm-up, and they were busy with other riders. No sign of them around the SJ or XC - although I'm sure I could have asked if I'd wanted help. The volunteers in the collecting rings were all fab though at explaining how long I had and where I needed to be.

Overall I love the concept. I know some people think it's 'dumbing down' but I would never have had the courage to go BE90 without having experienced a BE80 course before. It's small and straightforward enough that it helped me get to grips with competing at affiliated level without being too worried about the actual fences (although before the first one I didn't get a wink of sleep because I was so nervous!)

be positive

Visit site
I have been to 3 with two different horses/riders, at the first two years ago the trainer was very helpful, we saw her at the dressage warm up, she offered help,which was not required and watched the test ,making some nice comments after. She was then in the, very busy, SJ warm up again helping people who needed it, many did and I also helped with putting up jumps as they were being demolished so often.
The next two events were somewhat different, at the first the trainer did not make themselves known in the dressage area, it seemed that someone was having a very good private lesson, they did a SJ course walk but as our horse was early to go the rider had no time to stay and ask for advice,she needed to warm up.
The final event held a XC course walk, It was not possible for the rider to join in as it was very early and this time we had very late times and did not want the horse on the lorry for hours longer than necessary on a very hot day.I saw no sign of the trainer at dressage or SJ warm up.
We did not need any help so not a problem, I think the concept is good, it gives people an introduction to BE and the XC courses have been great.Our horse went well at both and it gave a nervous rider a good start to eventing on a new horse.
I do think that as they offer a trainer for advice maybe one person is not enough, unless each phase is finished before the next starts,not really possible without a very long wait for the early starters,that there should be two trainers available, one for dressage and the other for SJ/XC.

sweet_decline

Visit site
at the first the trainer did not make themselves known in the dressage area, it seemed that someone was having a very good private lesson,QUOTE]

Echo this at the second one I did - it seemed like they already knew the trainer so I wondered if I should have booked a slot in advance? Wonder if it was the same event?

Ditto your experience of course walks, I've never found the times convenient without having to arrive super-early or risk interrupting my warm-up. I think there were two 'guided' course walks at each event I did for each phase, with one XC the evening before, which I wouldn't have got out of work in time to make.

To be honest though, I know my horse reasonably well and I walk the course specifically for her (a rather onward bound tank!) - and I would think about it very differently if I had a horse that tended to be a bit backward, for instance. So it must be very hard for the trainers to give generic advice without knowing the horses in question.

On another note - OP do you have a skewbald? If so I think you were a horse or so after me at one of the events!

CAH7

Visit site
Really enjoyed my recent BE80 experience but we ran very late in the day (xc just before 7pm) and I didn't spot any trainers. I would have welcomed some advice, but still enjoyed my day and have lots to work on over the winter! We have some great unaff ODEs our way, and I will probably do more of these next year until we are ready to be more 'competitive' at BE!

lauraandjack

Visit site
I did the BE80 at Berriewood earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I know hard core eventing types claim it is dumbing down but there are plenty of us out there who want to compete to a high standard at a lower height! I'd love to affiliate properly and probably go up to BE90 but I don't have the time, energy, money, ability or horsepower to make that a reality!

It was very good to go and jump a BE standard course with tricky combinations etc at a manageable height - I find that the unaffiliated events I have done in my area are really simple in the 80 class (no combinations etc), yet if you step up to the 90 you suddenly have combinations to contend with as well as bigger fences. So doing BE over a scaled down "proper" course was fab.

It was quite helpful to have the trainers around too. I didn't make much use of them but I did have a chat with the XC trainer before my round about one massive fence that was much bigger than all the others. As someone who has limited XC experience at any useful height it was nice to have some reassurance. I'd have loved to have done the course walk but unfortunately it clashed with my SJ round.

We had a brilliant day topped off by coming 4th out of 42 in our section. Certainly made up for all the dirty looks I got when I turned up for the dressage on an unplaited welsh bog monster!

I just wish there were more BE80's locally to me - if I could get a few under my belt and get some XC confidence that my horse can cope with the combinations I'd move up to 90.

It's also nice to be at events under the BE umbrella. They're much better run, and you know that the course will be safe etc. Standards at unaffiliated can vary wildly!

Jon Lowe

New User
Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied so far. It has been really interesting to hear peoples reaction to these classes. I am particularly interested in the mixed reation to the training element provided. I wonder if the training offered has been conducive in some cases.

I had a rather negetive experience with a trainer this season. Whilst warming up for cross country, the trainer present made a comment about my horses jumping technique being somewhat economical - hardly what you want to hear moments before entering the start box!! I had not sought their advice but they unfortunately saw fit to offer it!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar perhaps?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied so far. It has been really interesting to hear peoples reaction to these classes. I am particularly interested in the mixed reation to the training element provided. I wonder if the training offered has been conducive in some cases.

I had a rather negetive experience with a trainer this season. Whilst warming up for cross country, the trainer present made a comment about my horses jumping technique being somewhat economical - hardly what you want to hear moments before entering the start box!! I had not sought their advice but they unfortunately saw fit to offer it!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar perhaps?

No but I have had positives.

I have done two BE80 this year (in Scotland). The trainer on hand both times was the same person. I have known this trainer for many years and have had jumping lessons from him with my horse. I didn't need the trainer in either of the jumping warm-ups but it was nice to know that I could have gone over and had a chat and a help if I needed it. Wasn't aware that there was anyone on hand in the dressage warm-up but doubt whether I would have wanted that anyway.

I found the SJ course walk with the trainer very useful both times. However, due to my times I couldn't make the XC walks which was disappointing as I suspect they would have been very informative and useful.

I know a friend who did a BE80 last year that had a different BE approved trainer who was so rubbish at the SJ course walk that it was a waste of time.

Suspect it will vary widely as depend on the event, the trainer and the interaction between the trainer and horse/rider. You are not going to get the same experience across the board. Ideally you want someone who can understand and help the more nervous/inexperienced rider and not someone who will chip in with unhelpful comments or engage in a heated discussion!

Lymm

Visit site
I compete at 100 but generally think BE80 is a great idea. However apparently they are a bit of a nightmare from an organisers point of view due to the training structure. I spoke with an organiser recently who runs 90 to intermediate. They would like to run 80 but not feasible due to the training aspect of the 80 , because of the training times/course walks etc they can only run a max of two sections at that level in a day. They can run 3-4 sections of other levels in same time. I think some of the comments above show that people like to do 80's for a well built and affiliated course and not really there because of the training. Perhaps they could run BE80 and BE80 Training as two different types of event. That way more organisers would run 80 as it would be more feasible.

RobinHood

Visit site
Well I've done two BE80s and didn't see a trainer at either event in any phase!

The training part isn't the reason why I enter though. I like to do affiliated events because I know exactly what to expect in terms of organisation, course building, ground conditions etc.

Jon Lowe

New User
Visit site
It's been very interesting to hear your responses to the BE80 concept.

I would like to use some of your experiences as the basis of an article documenting the success of the 80 classes. If you would be happy for me to use your comments, anonymously, would you message me providing me with your email details.

Thanks to all who responded :)

dapple2807

Visit site
can somebody tell me how be80 works? i'd like to do these next year. Do you have to pay the full membership fee of £135 then buy the BE80 training tickets, or do you have to buy a day ticket and a BE80 ticket? never evented before so slightly confused. thanks!

be positive

Visit site
can somebody tell me how be80 works? i'd like to do these next year. Do you have to pay the full membership fee of £135 then buy the BE80 training tickets, or do you have to buy a day ticket and a BE80 ticket? never evented before so slightly confused. thanks!

You can buy a BE80T ticket without being a member, you and your horse need Lifetime registrations, which are free of charge if you apply to BE.

Princess P

Visit site
I did a BE80 this year - my first experience of BE.

I found it really good. All the riding instructors I have used are usually teaching all weekend I have never had a trainer with me at an even so I found it incredibly helpful to have someone help me warm up. There were 2 trainers at dressage and 2 trainers at SJ warm up, wearing tabards to identify themselves.

The trainers used are popular local riding / pony club / clinic instructors and did seem to know many of the competitors and the mums so I felt a little nervous of asking for help, but I just walked over and said 'Hi, I'm not really sure how this works but I'd be grateful for some advice when you get chance'. I'm really glad I did because the trainers would spend a few mins with you, and then go around other people and then come back to see how you're getting on - I think if you just did your thing and waited for them to come to you then you wouldn't get a look in.

The instructor made a real difference to our dressage performance, so much so that I realised the instructor I had been having regular lessons with for 1 year has not really been helping us achieve our potential, so it has prompted me to change instructor when I got home which is the best thing I have ever done!

It was a really good introduction to BE and even though we then did a BE90 and hope to do 90 next season, I will still consider doing the local BE80 next year as the help was so helpful!:)