BE97 dressage test - technical question

tootsietoo

Visit site
So the last movement in BE97 goes:

AKX working trot
G Halt

What should I be doing between X and G? I know all transitions can be progressive, but could I walk?

be positive

Visit site
I think as the movement brings you onto the centre line at an angle then straightening towards G from X it would be tricky to walk at X so wait until you have straightened up then prepare your downward transition to halt, through walk if you want to, if you try walking at X I think it will be too early and prevent a forward, smooth turn onto the centre line.

If nothing is said about a change of pace you should remain in the one you are in until the next instruction to change pace.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Ah, ok thanks. I didn't know that you have to stay in the same pace until instructed to change and I walked at X and got an error of course. I wasn't sure whether I should have had the 2 marks deducted or not. And yes, it was a bad transition - silly decision to try to walk at x!

be positive

Visit site
Deducting 2 marks for error of course was harsh as it was not really an error but more of an early preparation and would usually just be marked down in the score for that movement, still you know for next time and can do a really good transition in the correct place.

Bexx

Visit site
I rode this test yesterday, I trotted k-X then just as I approached G I prepared for my halt which I did at G. I didn't ride it as a progressive transition, just straight trot-halt. I scored an 8 for this section of the test

star

Visit site
You shouldn't be doing more than a stride of walk before your halt to get good marks, even at be90 level. The test says trot to G then halt. At be90 that can be slightly progressive through walk but a smart trot directly to halt will get a higher mark.