Beach Recommendations - Yorkshire

Nayumi1

Visit site
I am looking for recommendations to take my mare to the beach for the first time in Yorkshire 😊

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!!!!

antigone

Visit site
A couple in East Yorkshire are Mappleton which is a few miles south of Hornsea. Small car park - no room for a 7.5 ton lorry. Could be tight with a trailer too since half the carpark fell into the sea but it is free. There is some parking on the lane to the beach. Best avoided at weekends and on unexpectedly fine days. Very quiet the rest of the time - just dog walkers and fishermen. There is a concrete slipway down to the beach which is mainly sand and some pebbly bits. You can only ride north as there may be unexploded ordnance south of the slipway.

Further north there is Fraisthorpe beach (just south of Bridlington) which is MUCH bigger. There is parking for horseboxes and lorries in a field adjacent to the beach and last time I was there (a few years ago) the owner charged £10 to park a box for the day. Lovely big sandy beach with good access.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Easington near Spurn Point - very quiet most of the time. Parking might be an issue but if you ring Toni Biglin at North Humberside Riding Club on 01964 650250 she might be willing for you to park on her yard. She also does very reasonable rates for an overnight stay for you and your horse - been there twice now! The first time my horse had a bit of a meltdown on the beach but it was pretty busy - the second time he was fab!

Nayumi1

Visit site
Oh brilliant, thank you for the suggestions - I suspect my mare will be rather spooky to begin with but am looking forward to seeing if we can get her used to it

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hinderwell and Runswick Bay look good. The problem with a lot of places along the coast is that there are cliffs and limited access down to the sea. But at low tide, there is often miles and miles of sand.

You mention that you're in West Yorkshire, but not exactly where. The northern bit of Morcambe Bay, around Cark in Carmel and Grange over Sands also has some wide expanses.

Boulty

Visit site
I'd say Fraisthorpe or Redcar. I'd say of the two Fraisthorpe is the nicer beach to ride on but can get busy with dogwalkers & windsurfers. There's a cafe there also but the opening times are a bit odd (I've never successfully managed to go when it's open)