Beach riding confusion south west/s wales

Cem_214

New User
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to take my horse on our first outing to the beach. But I'm finding myself getting confused and frustrated trying to find out where I can and can't go, if there's restrictions on times, and parking access as well.

So I'm hoping someone can help! I'm based in Bristol and have been thinking about Brean or Ogmore By Sea. But finding straight forward information has been a pain. If anyone can share first hand knowledge of either would be fab! Along with any links to information if you have them.

Thanks in advance!

bluehorse

Visit site
Brean/Berrow is good, easy access and you can park on the beach. However you have to be careful to stay up on the dry sand, and do not under any circumstances go further out, as there are dangerous mud flats. My personal preference would be to go at half tide when it’s on it’s way in. Providing you are sensible, it is safe and very popular. I’m not sure however if there are restrictions on what time if day you can ride there in the summer, or if there are any Covid restrictions currently in place.

If you did go I’d advise parking at the Berrow end, it’s much quieter.

https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/tourist-information/beach-horse-riding/

HelenBack

Visit site
In Wales you'd be better going to Kenfig on the far side of Porthcawl than Ogmore by Sea. The beach is bigger and the parking easier. It's probably only an extra five to ten minutes to get there and it's usually quieter too. You ride through the sand dunes for about 15 minutes to get to the beach and then the beach goes all the way across to Port Talbot.

If you want any more information just give me a shout.

Oh and you can go there whenever you want but definitely better at mid to low tide else there won't be enough beac to make it worthwhile!

Cem_214

New User
Visit site
In Wales you'd be better going to Kenfig on the far side of Porthcawl than Ogmore by Sea. The beach is bigger and the parking easier. It's probably only an extra five to ten minutes to get there and it's usually quieter too. You ride through the sand dunes for about 15 minutes to get to the beach and then the beach goes all the way across to Port Talbot.

Oh and you can go there whenever you want but definitely better at mid to low tide else there won't be enough beac to make it worthwhile!

Thank you! That's super helpful :) where do you park when you go there?

Cem_214

New User
Visit site
Brean/Berrow is good, easy access and you can park on the beach. However you have to be careful to stay up on the dry sand, and do not under any circumstances go further out, as there are dangerous mud flats. My personal preference would be to go at half tide when it’s on it’s way in. Providing you are sensible, it is safe and very popular. I’m not sure however if there are restrictions on what time if day you can ride there in the summer, or if there are any Covid restrictions currently in place.

If you did go I’d advise parking at the Berrow end, it’s much quieter.

https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/tourist-information/beach-horse-riding/

Thanks! I've been to Brean once with my old loan pony, several years ago, but her owner arranged EVERYTHING so I don't know much about the details, or what may have changed since then.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So Brean/Berrow is my original location, we were about 15 mins away in the trailer.

We always parked at berrow mostly because the drive to the brean end was a pita (its narrow, there's holiday makers) and we'd then ride up and down both ways.
However, there has recently been an issue with the drop from the concrete road onto the beach at berrow though I'd expect them to have sorted it by now.
Both are paid parking during the summer season (we did used to mostly go in winter) dependent on vehicle side.

The usual advice I give is have no intentions of going in the sea, you need a particularly high tide to do it safely and preferably someone with good knowledge of the beach underneath the water (even so, friend lives 10 mins hack away and we did loose a TB up to his ears at one point).
If more than one of you are riding keep an eye on the other horse's hoof prints, if they start to get a bit deep head back towards the dunes.
There are several sand 'spits' that you are riding on fine then discover they end and everything round them is a bit brown. Retrace your steps and head up towards to dunes.
The Brean end where it curves into brean down does get particularly silty and there really isn't any need to go that far.

It's fun and safe but requires a sensible rather than adventurous approach. The distance I have seen some people out on horses makes me cringe.

oh and hacking towards burnham direction you aren't supposed to go past where the sea wall starts/which is essentially not far past the beach lighthouse.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I’d definitely recommend Kenifg, make sure you get an OS map and stick only to the bridlepaths though. Some horses got stuck in quicksand while allegedly off the bridlepaths a few months ago.

We park here, with some caveats: https://goo.gl/maps/a9kEBbKAJzVMtUiZA

If you have a high value car that is usually a target for thieves, or a trailer, I’d recommend taking at least a hitch lock and wheel clamp if not more robust security too. If your tow vehicle is a Defender then I don’t recommend this car park unless you have someone that can wait with it while you’re riding - we had a scare once and it’s only because of some of the more hidden security that the barstewards didn’t manage to take the truck.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thank you! That's super helpful :) where do you park when you go there?
I’d definitely recommend Kenifg, make sure you get an OS map and stick only to the bridlepaths though. Some horses got stuck in quicksand while allegedly off the bridlepaths a few months ago.

If you have a high value car that is usually a target for thieves, or a trailer, I’d recommend taking at least a hitch lock and wheel clamp if not more robust security too. If your tow vehicle is a Defender then I don’t recommend this car park unless you have someone that can wait with it while you’re riding - we had a scare once and it’s only because of some of the more hidden security that the barstewards didn’t manage to take the truck.

Yes, the car park on Google maps is the one everybody uses. Usually lorries would go in the bit to the left as you look at the car park as it's a bit more open in there. I did see a huge horsebox in the side that cars normally use the other weekend though.

The car park does have a bit of an unsavoury reputation so that's probably good advice about being safety conscious. That said it's quite bust in the day at the moment so probably harder for people to nick things.

The quicksand issue was actually in the dunes off the beach at Newton/ Merthyr Mawr. I'm not aware of there being any issues with the dunes over at Kenfig, apart from that it's quite easy to get a bit lost! I think they can get wet in the winter but that's not an issue at this time of year. I would probably just follow the bridlepath that goes straight down to the beach, do the beach ride and then come back up the same track though and then it's easy and avoids any confusion.

Annagain

Visit site

That was at Merthyr Mawr DF, although I'd obviously recommend extra care and sticking to the bridle paths. The other 'natural' hazards at Kenfig are the naked sunbathers in the dunes! I've parked there many a time with no problems but always lock the trailer onto the car and use a clamp too just because it's easy to get in and out of and there aren't always a lot of people around. It's a lovely ride though and the distance from the carpark to the beach means it's rarely busy. I'd aim for just after low tide as the middle part of the beach has a lovely firm surface once it's dried out a bit.

DirectorFury

Visit site
That was at Merthyr Mawr DF, although I'd obviously recommend extra care and sticking to the bridle paths. The other 'natural' hazards at Kenfig are the naked sunbathers in the dunes! I've parked there many a time with no problems but always lock the trailer onto the car and use a clamp too just because it's easy to get in and out of and there aren't always a lot of people around. It's a lovely ride though and the distance from the carpark to the beach means it's rarely busy. I'd aim for just after low tide as the middle part of the beach has a lovely firm surface once it's dried out a bit.

oops, that’ll teach me for half remembering locations!

Annagain

Visit site
If you have a lorry be careful with the low bridge - you might need to go the long way round. Trailers fit under it fine. There's only a couple of minutes difference in journey time.

Anais Webb

New User
Visit site

Hi
I am planning a trip to a beach with my friend and our two children, 14 and 4. Neither of the ponies have been to the beach before. Kenfig looks like an option but I'm wondering if you could answer a few queries? Firstly, how long is the walk from the car park to the beach? ( Two of us will be on foot) Is it an actual beach or part of the nature reserve that resembles a beach? Are there many dogs off lead? Is it common to see nudists? Is it suitable for potentially nervous mums, children and ponies???? 😊 Thanks

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I live in Devon and there IS a nice sandy beach here. Also you can park conveniently in a Council park nearby.

However.......... and it IS a "however". Exmouth beach has virtually been taken over by bleddi dog walkers. There was a very nasty incident a year or two ago where some dogs chased a horse and the rider was badly injured. Owner was traced and Done for it, but there are plenty of other stoopid dog-owners continually on the beach who haven't got a clue about keeping Fido on the lead if they had no recall and saw horses on the beach.

You would have to go VERY very early if you wanted to avoid dogs - and there'd probably still be one geek out there with their dog whatever time of the day or night you went there.

Also bear in mind that if you went East around Orcombe Point then you'd need to have the tide-times firmly in mind coz if you got around the Point at the wrong time of the tide you'd be cut off.

Sorry can't be more help.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I use Brean a lot and grown up on it. I park at South Road car park which is £3 and not on the beach and then go down the bridle path to the beach which is next to it. It just is easier to manage horses not being directly on the beach and having kids kicking balls about.

I never go during good weather as too many people and dog walkers are the most entitled people on earth. I have had some horrific near misses with dogs not being on leads and chasing horses. I never ride to Burnham on sea anymore and always go right towards Brean as less dog walkers.

I tend to go about 7/8am or 6pm in order to avoid people.

I have had a horse break down in both tendons on the beach when I was young and now I am anal. Watching people canter through the sea gives me the jitters. We always just walk or trot and stay relatively shallow. @TheMule was just trotting along and ended up in a hole and ended up falling off and we are cautious and know the beach very well.

You want firmer sand to canter on and nothing with dark patches as that’s inconsistent. It’s a fine art of knowing what is good.

Never go alone. Always go with company.

On a good day it’s amazing. On a bad day, it’s horrific and stressful.

Annagain

Visit site
Hi
I am planning a trip to a beach with my friend and our two children, 14 and 4. Neither of the ponies have been to the beach before. Kenfig looks like an option but I'm wondering if you could answer a few queries? Firstly, how long is the walk from the car park to the beach? ( Two of us will be on foot) Is it an actual beach or part of the nature reserve that resembles a beach? Are there many dogs off lead? Is it common to see nudists? Is it suitable for potentially nervous mums, children and ponies???? 😊 Thanks
Kenfig would be pretty good for accompanying on foot as the bridle paths are nice and wide and the dunes aren't too steep. It's a proper beach a good couple of miles long, the nature reserve is in the sand dunes behind the beach. It's about 15-20 mins on horseback to get there from the car park so it might take 30 if you've got people on foot and can't trot / canter where suitable. There's a good long, wide, flat, path behind the beach if you'd like a canter but want somewhere a bit more enclosed.

The nudists tend to congregate in the dunes behind the far end of the beach (the right hand side if you're looking out to sea). I would follow the bridle path that goes from the middle of the carpark (there's one that goes off to the left if you have your back to the road but that crosses the golf course and, even though it's a bridle path, the golfers moan so the signs direct you away from it. There are a few awkward gates on that path too but that won't be a problem if you have people on foot) go along the beach and then back to the same bridle path to come back. This will stop you getting lost, will mean you avoid the nudists (although going in winter is likely to achieve that too), guarantees you'll stay on the wider, flatter paths, means you'll come straight back to the car park without going along the road and means you'll avoid the trail bikes - they're not supposed to be there but can sometimes be at the same far end as the nudists. Once you're back on the track that runs parallel to the beach, if you want to, you can have bit of a canter for a few hundred metres in either direction before turning back to the bridlepath.

There will always be some off lead dogs but the bridlepath winds through the dunes so is quite enclosed. There aren't many on the beach itself as it's a fair walk from the car park, it's the same for walkers. Most are within 10 minutes of the car park on the paths.

There's a charge to pay for the car park now - about £7 I think for a horsebox, I haven't been for a year or two.