Beaches in NW area

celticdiamond

Visit site
Hi,
I'm based on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border and a few from our yard want to go to the beach at some point this year with the ponies. Where are the best beaches for riding in Liverpool/Blackpool area?

Ta in advance :)

RockinRudolph

Visit site
I have been to Ainsdale beach in southport in the past. They send all the horse boxes one way and the cars the other when you drive on, so you shouldn't have to worry about the general public getting in your way!

daviedevs

Visit site
Im looking to take Dan to the beach as soon as it warms up a tad!!

I've been advised Formby beach is a good place with parking for horseboxes available.

Its a National Trust beach so probably well looked after. Looks ok on the website anyway.

Roll on spring!!!!

dollymix

Visit site
We used to go to Ainsdale too but this year was introduced to Blackpool south shore by my RI. It is sooooo much nicer! The sand quality is more consistent (no muddy/deep bits) and much quieter too! Ironic as the pleasure beach is in the distance!

trottingon

Visit site
Bootle is a dockyard!

Crosby can be a bit unpredictable with regards to the sand and "boggy" bits and is contained by the docks at one end and the River Alt at the other, and can be busy with walkers and dogs.

I think Formby/Ainsdale/Suthport is the better option, really long, nice and sandy, when the tide is out it is out for miles so more room to avoid any dogs, and generally quieter.