Beaches - Norfolk coast

diamonddogs

Visit site
We're off to Cromer at the weekend and I was hoping you people could recommend some decent beaches where we can take the dog. Links to printable maps very welcome!

We're based in Cromer, but will probably travel between Mundesley and Wells.

Thanks!

woolly

Visit site
Wells is fabulous and Holkham but don't know if there is restricted access to dogs.... I seem to remember taking our dog there last Summer. Watch the tides though they come in fast but so beautiful!!!!There is also a channel at Wells which is clearly marked but deep so best keep the dogs away from there. It isn't hard as the beach is enormous!!!
Here are some piccies...
Hazatthebeach.jpg

wellsnextthesea003.jpg

will download some video clips so you can see it better .....

woolly

Visit site
Thanks you!!! Sadly gone now... we lost him a few weeks after these were taken. The videos give you a rough size the place is massive...This was taken in the Summer holidays and I am sure there are no restrictions on dogs.
Have tonnes of fun.

woolly

Visit site
ahhhh bless!!!!! Sighthounds are fabulous... Wells and Holkham great as they can run for miles without too much mischief! Typical sighthounds. Ours used to drink the seawater...strange dog!!!!not the best for them!

echodomino

Visit site
Sheringham isn't far from Cromer, mum and dad have just come back from there today with 3 of the dogs. I'm going to Huntstanton tomorrow with 6 dogs but that's a bit further round.

ETA:

Some of the beaches are restricted at this time of the year as to whether dogs are allowed on or not. For example; old Huntstanton where I'm going tomorrow, it's ok for them to free run whereas on the new (well 'tourist' end) it's not allowed.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Don't know what beaches you can go on with dogs, but all of the beaches in Norfolk are gorgeous, and the whole area is a brilliant place of be!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We went to Wells this year with our mad Spaniel, he is a nutter at the best of times and a bugger for running off but at Wells he was brill. Although he did drink a lot of sea water and ended up with short lived but not very pleasant squits!

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
If you look at my previous post, that was Heacham Beach, there are also 2 others very close by Snettisham (sp) and Hunstanton. Not sure how far away from Cromer they are though.

JLD

Visit site
I can second how fantastic holkham is and fine with dogs all year, cley has got some walks you can take the dog on lead and so has blakeney. Titchwell is an RSPB place but dogs can go on leads and has a lovely beach at the end of it. enjoy it it's beautifull.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I've not been around Norfolk for many years, but I remember the dog beach at Hunstanton was one of the best - right down at the end of the town, and you had to go down steps to get to it IIRC.

The last time we went we took our two Dobermanns, at nine in the morning. We'd only been there about ten minutes when this hugely obese family came down with a picnic and complained the whole time about the dogs running about and scrounging food (those with Dobermanns will know that even the best trained Dobe goes to pieces when confronted with a sausage roll or cheese sandwich). I mean, this beach is not the easiest to get to, so why they were there is a mystery!

echodomino

Visit site
We're going on Monday now but it's sort of routine to go down to Old Huntstanton and give the dogs a good blow out then either walk down the beach to New Huntstanton or drive down, for fish and chips and a go on the fair ground - not that we're big kids or anything
tongue.gif

There are steps down the other end but if you go down to the big grass car park near the lighthouse then there's a slope down instead.

I went last year with my friend from agility, I'll dig out my pics
grin.gif

SueAllen

Visit site
One of my favourites is up the coast at Stiffkey (pronounced Stewkey!!) The only way I know to get to it is via the little lane that leads to the campsite, signposted from the main road. Lots of little dykes and huge areas of sand. That whole coastal area is just wonderful and there is a path running along it for miles so you can walk and walk. And some very nice pubs too!! We run a dog friendly holiday cottage not too far from Cromer and lots of our guest rave about Holkham, Cart Gap (near Happisburgh) and Winterton. I can send anyone who is interested a link to a website where one of our guests, a professional photographer, has posted a thread with some lovely photos of her 7 dogs enjoying their holiday on the beaches!

hellybelly6

Visit site
All this talk of Norfolk beaches is making me homesick!

Wells is beautiful beach
Holkham
winterton
Cley
Overstrand near Mundesley

Its not a beach, but sheringham park is lovely too