Beagle/Dog Owners

Angela_1987

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a Beagle and she's 1 now. Had her since she was 10 weeks old :) Any ways. My question is ..... How good are your Beagles off the lead?? Layla is good but if she sees another dog, she's off. She's just such a friendly dog and wants to say hi to everyone lol I do tend to put her back on the lead though, if i spot the other dog first. If had people say to me that if she's friendly just keep her off the lead but i feel its unfair for people who do have the dogs on lead for a reason.

Any recommendations would be good, to try and stop her running off to other dogs!!

clydesdale

Visit site
hmmm thats a hard one, as i have a dog who is very nevous and if a dog comes running over to her (freindly or not) she gets terrified and just frezzes and looks at me as if to say help me bless her she has been attacked so manytimes in the past. maybe go to the field with a freind and there dog and practice calling her back when the other dog is around and rewardingher when she comes to you rather then the other dog :S

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
My Scottie is like this. He is awful on the and gets all protective of me, so I tend not to have him on the lead. But if I see another dog coming and its on a lead, I will put Buster on his lead as the other dog is obviously on a lead for a reason!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Beagles are pack animals and not generally known for good recall!!!

I'd train her using a long line and food (don't feed her before training, feed her as part of her training with food rewards) and see where you go from there. Otherwise keep her on a longline or a flexi (I have an 8m one!!!) when not near roads etc, short lead only for road walking.

zippo

Visit site
Shirley Bassette has very limited/NIL recall but I have learnt that at a certain time of day,a very loud yell of"TEA TIME" sometimes works.

mad horse 3010

Visit site
Mine is not too bad.

I only let her off though if we are in a place she knows (otherwise the smells are FAR too exciting!). If I see another dog, I'll call her back only because I don't know many dogs in our area to know if they are 'ok' she has a few friends who I know are fine but if I don't know them she'll go back on.

I do *always* have treats in my pocket, and she knows that. Though she doesn't always get a treat!